NCAA Tournament 2017 E8 - Gonzaga Game Thread 3-25

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
hoosiermuskie
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:23 pm
Contact:

Re: NCAA Tournament 2017 E8 - Gonzaga Game Thread 3-25

Postby hoosiermuskie » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:26 pm

oldhoopster2 wrote:Maybe you should go root for another team. Shots didn't fall and Gonzaga shot lights out. They were a one seed who lost one game all year. An incredible run through the BE and NCAA tourneys. You should try to represent yourself like this team did. Great finish guys and thanks for the joy ride most of us enjoyed.
To root for another team is silly. He sounds like an X fan who had some disappointments in the season. You want him to be a DePaul fan?
We were rated in top 10 early season, but Ed's injury ended that. Tre's injury slowed us at end of regular season. But we had a great run in NCAA. I'm sure there are many that are happy with the season and many are disappointed. Some have mixed emotions. I guess I am one of the latter but sure enjoyed the run. And glad IU went for Archie.
muskiefan92
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:34 pm
Contact:

Re: NCAA Tournament 2017 E8 - Gonzaga Game Thread 3-25

Postby muskiefan92 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:02 am

oldhoopster2 wrote:Maybe you should go root for another team. Shots didn't fall and Gonzaga shot lights out. They were a one seed who lost one game all year. An incredible run through the BE and NCAA tourneys. You should try to represent yourself like this team did. Great finish guys and thanks for the joy ride most of us enjoyed.
Gonzaga also struggled to put away both Northwestern and West Virginia. I'm not buying it. X played a great three games and then reverted back to its February form against the Zags. Wait til next year, right?! :roll:
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: NCAA Tournament 2017 E8 - Gonzaga Game Thread 3-25

Postby muskieman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:21 am

muskiefan92 wrote:
oldhoopster2 wrote:Maybe you should go root for another team. Shots didn't fall and Gonzaga shot lights out. They were a one seed who lost one game all year. An incredible run through the BE and NCAA tourneys. You should try to represent yourself like this team did. Great finish guys and thanks for the joy ride most of us enjoyed.
Gonzaga also struggled to put away both Northwestern and West Virginia. I'm not buying it. X played a great three games and then reverted back to its February form against the Zags. Wait til next year, right?! :roll:
just because they struggled doesn't mean they could not have a break out game against X. Their season stats proved they were a good O team. In fact they almost hit their season average against X. The Zags are top 5 on Offense and Defense so it is not like X was playing a bum team. Tre had an off night shooting and our three point shooting was not to the point we needed. Tre missed one of his first two FTs and the team seemed to follow. As Tre goes so goes the muskies this year.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskiefan92
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:34 pm
Contact:

Re: NCAA Tournament 2017 E8 - Gonzaga Game Thread 3-25

Postby muskiefan92 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:16 am

muskieman, your points may be accurate but it still doesn't make a 24 point drubbing any easier. I just wish they'd been competitive in this game like the '04 X team versus Duke. At least that team looked like it belonged in the EE. The team we saw in yesterday's game, for whatever reason, didn't. It was very much like the last team to make it that far in '08. On to next season!
kyzrex
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:35 am
Contact:

Re: NCAA Tournament 2017 E8 - Gonzaga Game Thread 3-25

Postby kyzrex » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:41 am

M92....did you see the stat posted that the Zags have more 20+ point victories during the season than any other team in the country? Or the one that showed that they were one of the poorest 3 point shooting % teams in the country? Unfortunately, for this one night, they turned that % around and become one of the great 3-point shooting % teams. Reminded me of the shooting performance that Marquette put on against X the last time they played. It happens. X did it against FSU.

But why do you feel so dissapointed? Because your hopes and expectations were so high before the game? I'm not overly dissapointed today because I am honest enough to say that I never expected X to reach the E8 when the tourney started. More than that, I'm not dissapointed because I am so proud of just how hard the team played and I choose to remember not how bad that game went, but instead will remember just how good the prior 3 games were!
#WHYNOTX?
thecoach
Posts: 1492
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
Contact:

Re: NCAA Tournament 2017 E8 - Gonzaga Game Thread 3-25

Postby thecoach » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:07 am

I was at the game last night, and honestly the Zags were a much better team. To contrast this, relatively easy win for them vs. their first couple of games which were much tighter. I think they were much more comfortable matching up against us as it's a lot of what they face during the year. We're not particularly strong up front, and they see a lot of zone in their league which they are pretty much setup to shred(which they did in workman like fashion). Watching the Wv game which was a frantic man to man pressure i think it was relatively easy for them to face us in retrospect. X was a welcome match up for them. They were ragged from the ft line which suprised me somewhat, but clearly the superior team. I don't think they will win it all, but we'll see. Zona fans very unhappy with Miller and the meltdown at the end of the game. Said he has been unready for zone defenses his entire time there.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 7017
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: NCAA Tournament 2017 E8 - Gonzaga Game Thread 3-25

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:14 pm

thecoach wrote:I was at the game last night, and honestly the Zags were a much better team. To contrast this, relatively easy win for them vs. their first couple of games which were much tighter. I think they were much more comfortable matching up against us as it's a lot of what they face during the year. We're not particularly strong up front, and they see a lot of zone in their league which they are pretty much setup to shred(which they did in workman like fashion). Watching the Wv game which was a frantic man to man pressure i think it was relatively easy for them to face us in retrospect. X was a welcome match up for them. They were ragged from the ft line which suprised me somewhat, but clearly the superior team. I don't think they will win it all, but we'll see. Zona fans very unhappy with Miller and the meltdown at the end of the game. Said he has been unready for zone defenses his entire time there.
Zona fans very unhappy with Miller and the meltdown at the end of the game.
The fact that their talented 7 footer didn't get a shot in the last 10 minutes was absolutely inexcusable. SM even conceded he was outcoached, and he was. I give him credit for that though. Very few coaches would admit that. Most typically blame losses on players.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 989 guests