PDoc & UC

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer
Posts: 7017
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

PDoc & UC

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:54 pm

I like PDoc, and think he is one of the best sports writers in the country. I'm sure many on this board who don't like him now, as he is a Mick Cronin -UC apologist, loved him when Skip P was our coach, and he was a shill for X due to their personal friendship. I emailed him after the Brawl, and told him while I respected his writing skills, I was embarrassed for him when he pitied Gates for crying on the dais (yes, the same one who sucker punched KFrease and could have killed him, literally), while not showing effusive praise for the ONLY player who showed any class and grace, Kenny Frease. He could have easily filed charges against Gates, and that other UC player who stomped on hi while he was dazed on the ground, but didn't.

That should have been the focus of that ugly event, as almost everything else was shameful and grandstanding, particularly Mick claiming he told UC players to take their jerseys off. He is still complimentary of X, but hasn't critiqued Mick & UC with the objectivity befitting them. MicK has been at UCfor 11 years, but I don't think it's fair to judge him on the 1st three. because he inherited Chernobyl. However, in 8 years, UC has made the tourney 7 times, with only 1 Sw 16 win.

PDoc implored UC fans not to blame Mick after losing to UCLA, as he said FSU wouldn't wouldn't have had a shot against UCLA. On the surface, that seemed that a veiled shot against X, but I don't think so. He was making the point that those comparing UC to XU's path should understand UC's was harder; and it was. I even said myself when the draw came out, I'd much rather play FSU rather than UCLA.

That being said, X just beat the team who beat UCLA twice this year. I'll be curious to see how he analyzes that in context when evaluating X's run after the season. I'm still a big fan of PDoc, and I trust he'll give CM & X the credit deserved for one of the greatest runs since X's last improbable one in 04.

Seacrest out.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26816
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: PDoc & UC

Postby muskieman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:08 pm

drinking again AH? Remember you promised your better half that you would not drink when he was not around to control you.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 7017
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: PDoc & UC

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:14 pm

muskieman wrote:drinking again AH? Remember you promised your better half that you would not drink when he was not around to control you.

What part did you take exception to? The part when I said KFrease was the only person who showed any class or grace, or the part when I said X beating AZ, the same team who beat UCLA 2x, validates who has had the superior run? It's a very pro XU piece. I know you ain't Gore Vidal, but I thought even you would be able to connect the dots on this one.
xu koop scoop
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: PDoc & UC

Postby xu koop scoop » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:08 am

Seriously, I get reprimanded for mentioning S Carolina & bathroom laws & then posters go on a personal tirade about Paul Daugherty's writings.
Lets stick to the basketball games, their results & upcoming games.
tacitus
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:31 pm
Contact:

Re: PDoc & UC

Postby tacitus » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:39 am

xu koop scoop wrote:Seriously, I get reprimanded for mentioning S Carolina & bathroom laws & then posters go on a personal tirade about Paul Daugherty's writings.
Lets stick to the basketball games, their results & upcoming games.
You were not reprimanded. When the thread turned political, it was appropriately moved to another forum.

This thread is about how the local sports beat writer is covering X. This belongs in the Xavier Men's Basketball forum.
Let's March!
XU80
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:16 pm
Contact:

Re: PDoc & UC

Postby XU80 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:03 am

Doc, the Russians hacked into the Bracket and gave Xavier a favorable bracket and screwed UC......
mumuskie87
Posts: 12160
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: PDoc & UC

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:09 pm

XU80 wrote:Doc, the Russians hacked into the Bracket and gave Xavier a favorable bracket and screwed UC......
Yea...now we have the "real" story. No "fake" news.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
mumuskie87
Posts: 12160
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: PDoc & UC

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:15 pm

I like PDoc as a writer, especially when he writes about his family, his upbringings and the 2 semi-pro teams in Cincy - Reds and Bungles.
IMO, he plays to the crowd when it comes to X vs. UC.
My guess is for every X grad in Cincy there is probably 7 to 8 UC grads (based on enrollment figures).
Bigger audience of UC grads so don't want offend them too much.
I give him credit...he does put his email address out there so anyone can write and express their opinions to him.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
Anti-Homer
Posts: 7017
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: PDoc & UC

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:12 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:I like PDoc as a writer, especially when he writes about his family, his upbringings and the 2 semi-pro teams in Cincy - Reds and Bungles.
IMO, he plays to the crowd when it comes to X vs. UC.
My guess is for every X grad in Cincy there is probably 7 to 8 UC grads (based on enrollment figures).
Bigger audience of UC grads so don't want offend them too much.
I give him credit...he does put his email address out there so anyone can write and express their opinions to him.

When I wrote to him after the brawl, I told him how much I respected him as a writer but asked why he decided to make a remorseful Gates, who committed a felony, the hero, as opposed to K Frease, who was acting as a peacemaker when he was sucker punched. He said he understood my side as an XU fan, and said he also gets emails from the Bearcat faithful when he writes a pro-XU piece as well. He did say he is a fan of both programs, and he has never written a piece w/o getting criticized. He disagreed with me that Cronin was grandstanding, but said he appreciated my perspective.

I'm sure he was inundated with hundreds if not thousands of emails that weekend, but he answered mine. That speaks volumes about the guy. He also put Skip on a pedestal despite the mediocrity the program descended into under his watch. I remember walking out of the library one day and Skip Prosser, who was walking a recruit and his dad around took the time to ask me how my day was going. I was surprised he even acknowledged me since he was busy trying to woo a prospect.

P Doc understood as most X fans did, that very few coaches earn the right to be judged a little differently than others. Skip earned that right in my opinion.
Theology73
Posts: 1262
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:47 pm
Contact:

Re: PDoc & UC

Postby Theology73 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:09 pm

PDoc is extremely talented and we are lucky he chose to stay in Cincinnati considering all the offers he's had over the years. Thank Cincinnati Children's Hospital and their treatment of Jillian the Great as well as the supportive Downs Syndrome group in town. So many professionals have moved here to work and choose to stay. Must be something valuable about Greater Cincinnati.
Mark Twain was wrong. Golf is NOT a good walk spoiled. It is a shared personal experience in a majestic wonderland guided by God, whose name is called frequently during the round.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 841 guests