Coach Mack magic

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
JKC74
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Coach Mack magic

Postby JKC74 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:05 am

PT71 wrote:Tay Baker years? He was a step up from George Krajack! During my four years at X ('67-'71), Krajack never saw .500! Seems our best year was 12-16!! Did get to see our Bob Quick and Luther Rackley, both of whom played in NBA...of course, saw MANY stars on other teams...Chris Ford for Villanova, Don May for Dayton, all of the Al McGuire-led Marquette teams...Dean Meminger, Jim Chones, George Thompson (think I got that right), etc. We had fun in the ol' Schimidt FH...did you youngin's know we sat in "the Pit?" It was student seating right next to the court, and not on the end!
Those were some lean years for sure. I don't know who was worse Tay Baker, the laziest coach ever or Dick Campbell the master of disaster with a
3-23 season. The only highlight of the years 70-74 was the Marquette game when XU led at the half against the WARRIORS that had a 37 game winning streak at that time. I broadcasted that game with a colleague over WVXU-FM and had access to the Marquette players and Coach Al McGuire before that game. Mc Guire by the way said many times that his favorite road trip was to Xavier because the fans in the pit were so into the game. His strategy was to draw the fans into trading good natured barbs with him taking the heat off his players which proved to be good a good move. We really can't be down on the program considering where we were way back when. None of us ever thought we would live to see the day that XU would be on TV regularly and belong to a major conference! Take a deep breath, we are not done yet!
muncie6569
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Coach Mack magic

Postby muncie6569 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:29 am

It's interesting that our RPI is still 14 one in front of UC. And that's a better RPI than UCLA, Wisconsin, West Virginia and many other big name programs.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Coach Mack magic

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:13 pm

]
Anti-Homer wrote:
XU Captain wrote:
XavierTragedy wrote:The Magic has taken a break!! Mack looks very pedestrian lately. Yeah, the injuries are costly, but there has not been any elevation in coaching.
I believe Coach Mack has done a very good job, given the injuries and the fact Jalen Reynolds left with a year of eligibility remaining. I know it is ifs and buts, but if Jalen comes back this year, Myles stays out of trouble, Ed stays healthy and Tre is full strength, we are talking about a 2-3 seed instead of all the complaining about Mack. Do any of you remember the Tay Baker years? I do, and while I loved the teams with Nick Daniels, Joe Sunderman, Keith Walker, Steve Spivery, they were never in the running for the NCAA Tournament, even the NIT. But I still supported Tay and the team regardless. A real Xavier fan will hang in there with this team this year. If they get a NCAA berth, great. If they go to the NIT, great as well. I know Nick Daniels and company would have taken a NIT bid in those days, and they beat nationally ranked Southern California and Tennessee on back to back days in Knoxville, Tenn. Keep things in perspective when it comes to Mack. Xavier is not going to be a Final 4 contender every year, some times not even a NCAA tournament team.
I don't quite understand people who say it was much worse years ago, so we should just be happy with NITs & consider making the NCAA tourney a plus. I neve saw Tay Baker coach a game, but what I understand, they blew with him. I also remember only having 4 channels to watch as a kid until we got cable TV. Does that mean if Dish calls and says we had a bad fiscal year, so are going to only offer 4 channels for the same price, I should be happy?

20 years ago, computers weren't nearly as prevalent, and networks weren't as available as they are now. Computers were also slower, with much less functionality. Does that mean if I buy a computer, which acquires a virus slowing down all the programs and processor, and disables many programs I should be happy, b/c 20 years ago it was much worse?

Please explain.
To bring up technological advances and compare it to a sport is curious and almost childish. I will assume you are anti-Mack, or simply consider yourself entitled to a Final 4. It does not work that way. Xavier is much better off now than 30 years ago. But they are still not going to be mistaken for Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina. Ever. Xavier did not "blow" as you said with Tay Baker. They played a very tough schedule for the most part and were unable to beat the elite teams very often. What I said is be happy Xavier is a solid program, in the mix for NCAA berths. If they have a bad year, accept it and don't cry for the coach's head. If they get an NIT berth, embrace it and look at it as a chance for guys like Tyrique Jones, Goodin, others to get 3-4 extra games of experience this year. If they get a NCAA bid and lose the first game, just don't bash Mack for not making progress. It's not true. Xavier is unique, always will be. But you sound like you are entitled to something, and you are not. There was a time this program was playing in the MCC, they are now in the Big East. That's progress. Expecting them to compete for national titles, or even Final Fours, is not realistic...40 years ago or today.[/quote]

OK,

I cry Uncle. I mean, it's not like coaches who perform and underperform get paid millions, on the backs of patrons who spend their hard earned money to justify said income, in a profession tens of thousands of parents do in their spare time for free. Either drink the Koolaid, or admit you're a malcontent. BTW, Captain, can you cite 3 or more posts which have called for the Coach's head?
XU Captain
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Coach Mack magic

Postby XU Captain » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:59 pm

The only point I tried to make is Xavier is much better off today, but I continue to hear people sniping at the coaching staff because "we're only going to win 20 games and not get to ..." whatever they think Xavier should reach, whether Final Four, Sweet 16, etc. There are a bunch of programs that would love Mack and his staff on their sideline, and we should be grateful he is loyal to Xavier. I support Xavier regardless of the coach, but I am pleased with what Mack is doing. Let's face it...if Reynolds and Davis had been on this team, and IF Sumner and Bluiett were healthy, this is a contender for the Sweet 16 at least. Not Mack's fault Reynolds decided to leave. Not Mack's fault Davis made bad decisions off the floor. Not Mack's fault his two top scorers are hurt. Now, do we need an upgrade at point guard for next season? Yes. Goodin is a great athlete, but his basketball skills are few. In fact, one Xavier insider said Goodin's athleticism on a scale of 1-10 is a 9, but his basketball skill set is a 2. That does not bode well for the future. He's a good 8th or 9th man in a rotation, not a starter. I do not believe Tre will return to college, he has in his mind he's a pro player and will play overseas next year. He is a long way from being an NBA player. Ed is in a difficult place with the injury...no one is going to draft him in the first round, and if he gets selected in the second round, he could be cut. I still think he will leave, which means Xavier will need someone other than Goodin next season.
PT71
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Coach Mack magic

Postby PT71 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:37 pm

JKC74 wrote:
PT71 wrote:Tay Baker years? He was a step up from George Krajack! During my four years at X ('67-'71), Krajack never saw .500! Seems our best year was 12-16!! Did get to see our Bob Quick and Luther Rackley, both of whom played in NBA...of course, saw MANY stars on other teams...Chris Ford for Villanova, Don May for Dayton, all of the Al McGuire-led Marquette teams...Dean Meminger, Jim Chones, George Thompson (think I got that right), etc. We had fun in the ol' Schimidt FH...did you youngin's know we sat in "the Pit?" It was student seating right next to the court, and not on the end!
Those were some lean years for sure. I don't know who was worse Tay Baker, the laziest coach ever or Dick Campbell the master of disaster with a
3-23 season. The only highlight of the years 70-74 was the Marquette game when XU led at the half against the WARRIORS that had a 37 game winning streak at that time. I broadcasted that game with a colleague over WVXU-FM and had access to the Marquette players and Coach Al McGuire before that game. Mc Guire by the way said many times that his favorite road trip was to Xavier because the fans in the pit were so into the game. His strategy was to draw the fans into trading good natured barbs with him taking the heat off his players which proved to be good a good move. We really can't be down on the program considering where we were way back when. None of us ever thought we would live to see the day that XU would be on TV regularly and belong to a major conference! Take a deep breath, we are not done yet!
JKC...funny story...our Freshman year, Marquette was coming in ranked #8 in the country and coached by McGuire...seven of us brilliantly decided to "jab" him by spray-painting a message on T-shirts, get his attention and show him our message. We sprayed M-c-G-u-i-r-e on the front and "is a Pig" on the back, and of course, during a lull we stood and yelled across the court to him, and as he looked up we turned around. The crowd roared which only served to incite him more. Now the funny part: he sat in his coaching chair along the sideline and scratched his forehead with his middle finger. Crowd loved that!! Get this...we upset Marquette 88-83, I believe...a huge win and quite a show put on by Bob Quick and George Thompson...41 and 40 points, respectively.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Coach Mack magic

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:40 pm

XU Captain wrote:The only point I tried to make is Xavier is much better off today, but I continue to hear people sniping at the coaching staff because "we're only going to win 20 games and not get to ..." whatever they think Xavier should reach, whether Final Four, Sweet 16, etc. There are a bunch of programs that would love Mack and his staff on their sideline, and we should be grateful he is loyal to Xavier. I support Xavier regardless of the coach, but I am pleased with what Mack is doing. Let's face it...if Reynolds and Davis had been on this team, and IF Sumner and Bluiett were healthy, this is a contender for the Sweet 16 at least. Not Mack's fault Reynolds decided to leave. Not Mack's fault Davis made bad decisions off the floor. Not Mack's fault his two top scorers are hurt. Now, do we need an upgrade at point guard for next season? Yes. Goodin is a great athlete, but his basketball skills are few. In fact, one Xavier insider said Goodin's athleticism on a scale of 1-10 is a 9, but his basketball skill set is a 2. That does not bode well for the future. He's a good 8th or 9th man in a rotation, not a starter. I do not believe Tre will return to college, he has in his mind he's a pro player and will play overseas next year. He is a long way from being an NBA player. Ed is in a difficult place with the injury...no one is going to draft him in the first round, and if he gets selected in the second round, he could be cut. I still think he will leave, which means Xavier will need someone other than Goodin next season.
The only point I tried to make is Xavier is much better off today,

Relative to Coach Baker's time, based on what others have said, b/c I know nothing about him as a coach, you seem to be right. Based on his two immediate predecessors, the record doesn't support that - IMO. If you look at CM's record during his tenure in a vacuum, he has done a very good job. When you evaluate it relative to the momentum coming from SM & TM's time, I'd say he has done a solid job, nothing special. I personally think he is a very good ambassador of the University, very good recruiter, but average in game coach and program manager. I happen to think Sean Miller is the best coach ever at X, regardless if he ever won a game at AZ. His record here is what it is, with A-10 recruits no less. No biggie; Just the opinion of an avid X fan. I'll never, ever tell another poster he does not have the right to disagree with me.

Regardless, as I did two years ago when they played in the tourney, I will root for CM to beat SM 10 out of 10x, as long as he is the coach at X. As long as criticisms aren't personal or vulgar, I don't understand the holier than thou advice dispensed from people telling other posters what to think . Two opinions I believe all posters on this board share, is wanting X to win every game,
XU Captain
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Coach Mack magic

Postby XU Captain » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
XU Captain wrote:The only point I tried to make is Xavier is much better off today, but I continue to hear people sniping at the coaching staff because "we're only going to win 20 games and not get to ..." whatever they think Xavier should reach, whether Final Four, Sweet 16, etc. There are a bunch of programs that would love Mack and his staff on their sideline, and we should be grateful he is loyal to Xavier. I support Xavier regardless of the coach, but I am pleased with what Mack is doing. Let's face it...if Reynolds and Davis had been on this team, and IF Sumner and Bluiett were healthy, this is a contender for the Sweet 16 at least. Not Mack's fault Reynolds decided to leave. Not Mack's fault Davis made bad decisions off the floor. Not Mack's fault his two top scorers are hurt. Now, do we need an upgrade at point guard for next season? Yes. Goodin is a great athlete, but his basketball skills are few. In fact, one Xavier insider said Goodin's athleticism on a scale of 1-10 is a 9, but his basketball skill set is a 2. That does not bode well for the future. He's a good 8th or 9th man in a rotation, not a starter. I do not believe Tre will return to college, he has in his mind he's a pro player and will play overseas next year. He is a long way from being an NBA player. Ed is in a difficult place with the injury...no one is going to draft him in the first round, and if he gets selected in the second round, he could be cut. I still think he will leave, which means Xavier will need someone other than Goodin next season.
The only point I tried to make is Xavier is much better off today,

Relative to Coach Baker's time, based on what others have said, b/c I know nothing about him as a coach, you seem to be right. Based on his two immediate predecessors, the record doesn't support that - IMO. If you look at CM's record during his tenure in a vacuum, he has done a very good job. When you evaluate it relative to the momentum coming from SM & TM's time, I'd say he has done a solid job, nothing special. I personally think he is a very good ambassador of the University, very good recruiter, but average in game coach and program manager. I happen to think Sean Miller is the best coach ever at X, regardless if he ever won a game at AZ. His record here is what it is, with A-10 recruits no less. No biggie; Just the opinion of an avid X fan. I'll never, ever tell another poster he does not have the right to disagree with me.

Regardless, as I did two years ago when they played in the tourney, I will root for CM to beat SM 10 out of 10x, as long as he is the coach at X. As long as criticisms aren't personal or vulgar, I don't understand the holier than thou advice dispensed from people telling other posters what to think . Two opinions I believe all posters on this board share, is wanting X to win every game.
I agree with you about Miller, best Xavier coach ever. I liked Matta until he was less than truthful in his departure to Ohio State. If he had been forthright, I probably would have him and Miller 1 and 1A. But that's an opinion.

I think Mack does a good job. He is not the greatest X and Os type, I suppose, but it does not matter to me. I enjoy the games for a couple of hours and follow recruiting for what it's worth. Mack is dedicated to Xavier, unlike Matta, and that makes me like Mack a lot more than some. Miller might have remained at Xavier if Arizona had not sold its soul to get him. I can't blame Miller for taking the offer, but it also made college athletics look very shady from Arizona's end. This is why I love Xavier, they would never get into that kind of money war over a coach. I really don't care about national titles and Final Fours, maybe I'm just different. But when I was at Xavier a long, long time ago, those things were just secondary. Call me a product of my college years.
skyhops
Posts: 3928
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Coach Mack magic

Postby skyhops » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:12 am

Mack curently looks like a deer in the headlights. His desire to continue a 1-3-1 is unreal. Gaston, Gates, and JP are complimentary players. It is going to be a rough year or so
XU Captain
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Coach Mack magic

Postby XU Captain » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:20 pm

skyhops wrote:Mack curently looks like a deer in the headlights. His desire to continue a 1-3-1 is unreal. Gaston, Gates, and JP are complimentary players. It is going to be a rough year or so
What do you expect Mack to do? You seem to have a serious agenda against the coaching staff. They play a zone because they are not capable of guarding teams in a man to man at this point. We have virtually no quickness at guard other than Goodin, and he can't make a layup on offense. JP is unable to keep up with quick guards, Gates is not able to guard post players. A zone is the only thing Mack can do to keep this team in games. Get over it.
skyhops
Posts: 3928
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Coach Mack magic

Postby skyhops » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Why can't we play man to man defense? There are lesser athletic teams that play great defense. No agenda just a concerned fan like most others I know. At least Mack is not responsible for recruiting these players

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 841 guests