keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
xudash
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:52 am
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby xudash » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:52 pm

huddleup1487 wrote:As a current business student, I can say I do not support the new construction; this is also the response I am getting from many of my classmates. Sure, we are getting a new, state of the art facility. But, tuition will more than likely increase (as I hear it, the university is in a lot of debt right now...approaching $2 million). Also, while the school is focusing all of its time and resources into the business college, it is forgetting the rest of the programs on campus, particularly the arts and education (particularly the Montessori Education program). I mean, who needs a new fountain?!?! Comon!

Also, this is not the right time to be undergoing construction which results in loans being taken. What a great decision.
$2 million is virtually a rounding error for Xavier now. You don't sound like you're joking with your post, so perhaps your reference to $2 million is a typo.

One other thing - and everyone probably has their own point of view of what universities should be about, if you will, but Xavier is preparing for a future where the demographics clearly show a declining trend line, beginning literally this year or next year, of available students. Better schools are investing heavily to be well positioned, to be attractive to the best students they can attract, for the long-term viability of the school.

I believe the Corporex project - Xavier Square - is a master stroke for the University. What it brings and how it is structured really jumps X to light speed in its overall developement, look and appeal.

I'm sorry you feel that way about the Hoff Quad. I won't miss the houses at all. I say bring it, and we support X in a big way.
User avatar
Shadow
Posts: 6246
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby Shadow » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:26 pm

Growth is good. When I was a student on campus, the entire campus would probably fit within the perimeter of the parking lots surrounding the Cintas and the Cohen Centers.
Back in those days you could walk (or simulate walking) from Dana's to the campus without a worry. In '95 I told someone on campus that I was going to walk back from Dana's that night and was cautioned that it would be better to take a cab because of possible danger. With the Square being constructed, it would be a shorter trip from the watering hole to the campus perimeter.
Would that be safer?
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
MuskieCinci
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby MuskieCinci » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:23 pm

The business program is the trademark of Xavier's education. It is what attracts the most students and is the most highly regarded college on campus. The new business school will be state of the art and be very impressive, which enhances the value of the business education, as well as the university overall. Arguing against the new Williams College of Business would have been like arguing against building the Cintas Center. The Cintas Center was necessary to advance the basketball program and its facilities to attract the best possible basketball talent. The new Williams College of Business is necessary to attract the best possible high school students, business or otherwise. Most high school students don't know what they want to major in when they are looking at colleges, so when they visit they just look at the buildings in general and they will see fantastic facilities for the business program that will make them think the university is great in general.

I'm sure Xavier has a plan to improve their other colleges, but the business college will receive the most attention and the first upgrade. It is like deciding between improving the basketball program or the swimming program. Improving the basketball program first and making it one of the best in the entire country will eventually allow the university to help out the smaller programs like swimming. I hope that in the future Xavier will improve its other colleges and hopefully even add some new ones, but for now the business college and new Xavier Square will be the most beneficial to the university overall.
CarlosTheJackal
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Contact:

the cost of financing just went crazy

Postby CarlosTheJackal » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:05 pm

Construction financing for non profits has gone up exponentially in the past 10 days. Hope they had it in place with lenders and/or agencies that are not going bustola. :P
madness31
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby madness31 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:06 pm

I imagine XU has a AAA credit rating and received great financing terms on the new facility.
CarlosTheJackal
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby CarlosTheJackal » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:08 am

Curious as to how Xavier would have any bond-like or insurance-type or municipal "AAA" rating. Can someone splain how that works with a university?

The more relevant question, however, is whether any non profit like X is going to get any financing; and whether Xavier has all of the financing in place, some, or none; and whether it can be withdrawn.

If you are the the lender, ANY institution or business dependent upon income from clients-- or students -- trying to get a student loan these days has to be a major caution. Grants and gifts from corporate patrons and private foundations are also going to be much harder to come by, at least in the short term. It is not a problem unique to Xavier, whatever its credit worthiness.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby muskieman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:09 am

madness31 wrote:I imagine XU has a AAA credit rating and received great financing terms on the new facility.
I imagine that Mr N is a tough bird and makes X pay 3 points per day.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
XU84
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:54 am
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby XU84 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:39 pm

I think we can all rest assured that X has their finances in line with the new building projects. A decent portion of the money was raised from donors and already in the bank. The rest I'm sure was financed through bonds or some other vehicle. The planning for this phase has been going on for several years so an economic downturn isn't going to stop it.

Trust me, banks are still loaning money to credible businesses and individuals with the ability, as show by their history, to repay loans. Banks need to keep making money and checking account and ATM fees aren't their prime source of income.

As a graduate from 1984 all I can say is that the transformation of the campus has been, and will continue to be, amazing.
muskee2000
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby muskee2000 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:16 pm

somebody
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:09 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby somebody » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:56 pm

muskee2000 wrote:http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/s ... ily50.html
Maybe things arent so great.
It was also mentioned briefly in an AP article titled Some Ohio colleges face spending cuts in our little local newspaper up here in central Ohio. Doesn't seem like a good time to be borrowing that type of money. In the same article it mentions that Miami is delaying building of a new student center.
Xavier, a private, Jesuit-run university in Cincinnati, said it was freezing nearly all hiring because summer registrations and transfers fell short of projections. Although this year’s budget has been cut about 1 percent, Xavier still plans to try to borrow about $80 million to build a new business school, library and utility plant.
http://tinyurl.com/6cucc5

It's just what somebody thinks ...

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 909 guests