Guards= who will redshirt?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
_LH
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby _LH » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:46 pm

I never stated my opinion was better than Miller's although as great of a coach as he is, at the end of the day, he is still human.

Point is, there is a major log jam for PT at the 1-3 spots with possibly 9 guys eligible to play those three positions. Due to this log jam I think a redshirt is a very distinct possibility. You seem to disagree, which is fine.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby muskieman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:54 pm

EIGHT guys with a possible NINE guys for Three spots or 120 minutes ...different line ups for different match ups. If anyone can do it is would be Sean. Also that 9 possible guys could be 8 or less before the start of the season.

Crawford doesn't play till the NCAA says so.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
_LH
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby _LH » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:02 pm

I always have stated "if Crawford plays this year" but regardless I just don't see XU playing that many guys that many minutes.

How many DI teams went 11 or more deep last year? Typically benches get shorter as the year progresses as well. I really would just hate to see a kid waste a year play 1-2 minutes per game when the NCAA allows them to redshirt.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby muskieman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:09 pm

If your only argument is "hate to see a kid waste a year playing 1-2 minutes per game" I am sure all agree with that point, including Sean, but right now 1-2 minutes in not in the picture for those players.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
_LH
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby _LH » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:38 pm

1-2 minutes is a distinct possibility for one, possibly two guards at this point if Crawford can play.
Lead Guitar
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby Lead Guitar » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:52 pm

I think this year will take care of itself. If Crawford is not eligible, things open up next year with the loss of CJ and BJ and probably Derrick Brown. Three guys who are tweeners for the 2, 3, 4 spots will be gone. Next year you have a more conventional inside game with the power center and a real power forward. Sean will be looking at a three guard offense, so 6 or seven guys will fit in.

There is also the possibility that Brown would not be the last of our recruits to go to the NBA before their eligibility is used. If we continue to get the higher-profile recruits, this could happen on a more regular basis. Sean will need to prepare. How good is Crawford? Could he stay one year? (rent-a-player). We have had injuries before.

All freshman can not be stars the their first or even second years. Raymond, Love, Jackson, Graves, Wolf--even Brown. I do not think any of them averaged more than 10 minutes. Duncan was not a starter. Burrell, West, Hill, Larkin, Grant --those are the exception not the rule. They were in the right place at the right time. We might have one freshman starter this year.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:02 pm

I tend to agree with Lead; these things will sort themselves out on the court, and redshirting someone is not the end of the world, nor a totally unforeseeable result.

I'm willing to redshirt if necessary, as I don't feel I'll see even 1-2 minutes per game.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby muskieman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:43 am

I guess Lead, Mr N and myself have agreed that what a player does, will dictate what Sean will do. Sean is no idiot and will not waste a talent. He also realizes that injuries happen all the time and it is rare in a season that someone does not go down so depth is his hope every year.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
_LH
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby _LH » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:28 pm

I also have no reason not to trust Miller's judgement and ultimate decision on whether or not to redshirt an overstocked position. We will know more come November.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby muskieman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:28 pm

so you aagree with the rest of us!
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1081 guests