Time to change...

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
tjxu97
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 am
Contact:

Re: Time to change...

Postby tjxu97 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:20 pm

Wow, I created quite a stir!

I would love to write a story, however, I am overseas and have been all season. The only games I saw were the tourny games.

I just think that the homepage should reflect the best season in X`s basketball history a little better. ;)

Good luck guys!
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to change...

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri May 02, 2008 7:57 am

Faith only gets you so far, Wise. A lot of White
Sox kept thinking their team would turn it around last season, based on the 90 wins the season before and the World Championship the season before that. The team, even with all this "faith", ended up 72-90, a perfectly miserable year that any idiot could have seen coming a mile away, but the true believers kept wishing it wasn't so.

See, the Pollyanas are never wrong. If they say the team will have a good year, and then the team does, they say "see, I was right to have faith in them".

If the team has a disappointing year, the Pollyanas pretend it never happened and say "they'll be better next year" and give dozens of reason why a 17-13 season was REALLY a 23-7 year.

Same thing with individual games. We don't lose games, or lose games badly; we either got screwed by the refs, "would have won if only we'd made more shots", or were beaten by hoodlums who could never play at our noble institution.

I'm getting better at acknowledging X's good play; I just wish the Pollyanas could say (when justified) "we sucked today, and if we continue playing like this, it will be a tough year". But it's impossible for them to make that statement, even if true.

And it's "ever". I'll talk to management about getting a spell-checker installed for your benefit.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
Wisexuowl
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to change...

Postby Wisexuowl » Fri May 02, 2008 9:32 am

Actually, in lieu of a spell checker, I'd much prefer new eyes, and if that is asking too much, just one good one will work.
I'm told "you know you're going blind, but we've talked about this before haven't we," is what the greatest eye doctor in the world told me, the she, yeah she, said, "but we're not going to let that happen are we?"
Easy for her to say, but what the hell.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to change...

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri May 02, 2008 10:20 am

With any luck, that (continued vision loss) won't happen, and if it does, then the other senses sharpen up (or so I've heard).

My optometrist told me that (at least sometimes) distance vision actual gets better with age, even while your near-vision gets worse.

Either way, a lot of this is out of our hands. If we could control the aging process, we'd all be taller, thinner and younger, which ain't the case.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to change...

Postby muskieman » Fri May 02, 2008 10:34 am

Mr. Neutral wrote:With any luck, that (continued vision loss) won't happen, and if it does, then the other senses sharpen up (or so I've heard).

My optometrist told me that (at least sometimes) distance vision actual gets better with age, even while your near-vision gets worse.

Either way, a lot of this is out of our hands. If we could control the aging process, we'd all be taller, thinner and younger, which ain't the case.
Now if I only had Love's arms I could read that newspaper without glasses.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Wisexuowl
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to change...

Postby Wisexuowl » Fri May 02, 2008 11:01 am

<distance vision actual gets better with age, even while your near-vision gets worse.>

That be true. Was a time I had trouble following the flight of the golf ball. Don't anymore ... but then it doesn't go as far either. Lands in the same area, but then I ain't plying the Blues any more either ... and we don't have the "Senior Tee's" ... yet!
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to change...

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri May 02, 2008 11:32 am

<<Was a time I had trouble following the flight of the golf ball. Don't anymore ... but then it doesn't go as far either. >>

I'd rather be in-bounds short than OB long.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 941 guests