Just another list, but this one is kinda interesting. They're ranking the most prestigious basketball programs since 1984-85. Actually they've ranked every team up to #41 so far. I believe they only have the small blurbs starting from 50 down to 1. No XU yet, but from the scoring system they have I would presume Xavier will be ranked pretty high.
Here's the article on #'s 50-41
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3481014
ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
-
broadripple
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:10 am
- Contact:
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
<<The College of Charleston has only one NCAA tournament win ever (against fifth-seeded Maryland in 1997)>>>
I have to admit that this surprises me. I would have thought that CoC had more than 1 NCAA win.
I have to admit that this surprises me. I would have thought that CoC had more than 1 NCAA win.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
tacitus
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:31 pm
- Contact:
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
This is gonna be fun, and will make for hundreds of comments.
Having said that, and not knowing what slot we'll fall into, I will say ahead of time that I think there is too many points for a Championship, a runner up, and a Final Four.
I think a 17 point differntial between winning it all and losing the finals of the Elite Eight is too wide.
Too few deductions for being banned, and no deductions for violation take away.
But like I said .. it will make for fun!
Having said that, and not knowing what slot we'll fall into, I will say ahead of time that I think there is too many points for a Championship, a runner up, and a Final Four.
I think a 17 point differntial between winning it all and losing the finals of the Elite Eight is too wide.
Too few deductions for being banned, and no deductions for violation take away.
But like I said .. it will make for fun!
-
MillerTime
- Posts: 71
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:14 am
- Contact:
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
I disagree. When I think prestigeous, I don't think teams that lose in the Elite 8. I think teams that win it all or F4 several times.Wisexuowl wrote: I think a 17 point differntial between winning it all and losing the finals of the Elite Eight is too wide.
This is really something ESPN has put together to fill the void of sports in mid-July, so take it for what its worth. If X is around the 25, that's about right, but no scale can measure something so subjective...
-
XLFan
- Posts: 48
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:21 am
- Contact:
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
The points for having the best record in the MCC during the 80's and early 90's will be huge. Also, having all those twenty winn seasons is nice. I'm thinking Xavier will probably land 20-25. Final guess #22.
-
MuskieCinci
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:33 pm
- Contact:
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
I had some free time and a media guide, so I attempted to tally up what score Xavier would receive. I ended up with 167, which puts us well ahead of # 41 LSU which had 93 points. 167 should be within at least a couple points of the score they come up with, so I think we should be safely inside the top 25 with a score like that.
-
CarlosTheJackal
- Posts: 462
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
- Contact:
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
Waay too much free time..at work, perhaps MuskieCinci!MuskieCinci wrote:I had some free time and a media guide, so I attempted to tally up what score Xavier would receive. I ended up with 167, which puts us well ahead of # 41 LSU which had 93 points. 167 should be within at least a couple points of the score they come up with, so I think we should be safely inside the top 25 with a score like that.
- muskieman
- Posts: 26788
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
Oh great just as we all started forgetting that little war.CarlosTheJackal wrote:Waay too much free time..at work, perhaps MuskieCinci!MuskieCinci wrote:I had some free time and a media guide, so I attempted to tally up what score Xavier would receive. I ended up with 167, which puts us well ahead of # 41 LSU which had 93 points. 167 should be within at least a couple points of the score they come up with, so I think we should be safely inside the top 25 with a score like that.But I can never come down on someone who does the research. They may be worse than damnable lies, but I like em a lot. MH is my favorite all time poster for that reason -- though the scheduling has solved the endless RPI debates.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
I think Muskie Cincy is going to be on target, maybe a couple of notches higher.
This is heady stuff ... to be listed by ESPN as one of the 25th most prestegious programs in the country for the last 23 years is awesome.
Sean and staff will turn this into a monster national recruiting pitch mailer!
And MuskieCincy, many thanks for doing the research. I though about it today, but then took a nap instead.
This is heady stuff ... to be listed by ESPN as one of the 25th most prestegious programs in the country for the last 23 years is awesome.
Sean and staff will turn this into a monster national recruiting pitch mailer!
And MuskieCincy, many thanks for doing the research. I though about it today, but then took a nap instead.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 856 guests
