UAB becoming IU-South, adds Bassett

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

UAB becoming IU-South, adds Bassett

Postby Mr. Neutral » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:11 pm

The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
Lead Guitar
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:03 pm
Contact:

Re: UAB becoming IU-South, adds Bassett

Postby Lead Guitar » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:25 pm

The article indicated that Bassett will sit one year. That might lead us to believe that all of the transfers (Crawford in the other post) will sit for a year, unless being dismissed from the team is different than leaving after the coach is dismissed.

That scenario seems to make more sense for us. With Raymond graduating, Crawford could fit into the 2 role and Jackson the 2 or 3. We do not have any commitments for 09 and from what we read, most of those we are after are 4's or big 3's.

I like Miller's approach to taking a transfer each year. You definitely know if the guy can play D-1, plus he is a year older. Playing 22 and 23 year olds with four years of playing time evens things out a bit when going against the 18 year McDonald's All American.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: UAB becoming IU-South, adds Bassett

Postby Mr. Neutral » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:08 pm

I agree with your points, Lead, but even if Crawford sits out for a year, he's still got to get a scholarship from somewhere, and I don't know how that's going to happen.

I can't see him paying his way for a year at X when he could easily get a scholarship right away somewhere else.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: UAB becoming IU-South, adds Bassett

Postby muskieman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:28 am

I have one question: IF IU had all this talent that is leaving, why did Xavier beat them so badly last year? Maybe these players don't work well with others which could give other teams problems this year.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Eastside_J
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: UAB becoming IU-South, adds Bassett

Postby Eastside_J » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:56 pm

muskieman wrote:I have one question: IF IU had all this talent that is leaving, why did Xavier beat them so badly last year? Maybe these players don't work well with others which could give other teams problems this year.
C'mon you know the answer to that. They were playing two freshman and a sophomore at the guard spots. So early in the year, you can't begin to count on those guys to have figured out how to run the team yet. No reason to blame it on the players, that is just the way inexperience plays, especially at the beginning of the season.

You guys had three starting Seniors, two of which were guards and basically didn't play a freshman more than a handful of minutes the whole game. That plus Burrell playing some nice D all the way through was the difference IMO.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: UAB becoming IU-South, adds Bassett

Postby muskieman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:52 pm

Yet their starting guard is now in the NBA!

Yeah, I know the answer but everyone at the beginning of the season thought IU was the team to beat.

Let's hear the words of Rival
Pick # 7 The Hoosiers climb the ranks in our poll on the strength of the return of D.J. White and a recruiting class that Rivals.com ranks ninth nationally. White (13.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg) mulled leaving for the NBA but made the right call to return. The gem of the recruiting class is five-star shooting guard Eric Gordon, the No. 2 overall prospect in the country. He'll pick up much of the scoring slack left by senior guards Rod Wilmont and Earl Calloway.

And Dickie V's #8
8. Indiana: Kelvin Sampson is thrilled to have diaper dandy Eric Gordon, and the newcomer will make a difference right out of the blocks. DJ White has to have a strong season.

AP's top 25 pre-season
9 Indiana

Gary Parrish
11. Indiana: Got an e-mail from a guy named Nate the other day. He wanted to know why I hadn't written about Eric Gordon, Indiana's incoming star, lately. The answer: I'm just saving all my words for that first trip to Illinois. Boy, I can't wait.

Andy Katz
#10) Indiana Hoosiers – In year two of the Kelvin Sampson era, the Hoosiers should be much improved and should be one of the top teams in the Big Ten. Forward DJ White returns to school for his senior season, and the addition of arguably the top Indiana recruit in the last decade (Eric Gordon) should only add to the excitement in Bloomington. Armon Bassett, AJ Ratliff, and Lance Stemler all return, and freshman Eli Holman will be a nice addition in the middle. White and Gordon should be the top inside-outside threat in the conference by the middle of the season.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 725 guests