The Run
-
X-Expert
- Posts: 2189
- Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm
- Contact:
The Run
With Chalmers in Orlando and people talking how this was similar to that year, I didn't buy it...but now, I'm convinced there are a lot of similarities. While that team won last 16 of 18 and torched #1 St Joes by 40, the players on this team now have similarities. That team had Chalmers and Sato all year and Myles came to play in the tourney. This team has Bluitt JP and here comes SOM. That team had Dedrick Finn, now there is Goodin. Finn was a better shooter but Goodin is playing very smart. He knows his limitations. Best part is the zone. Matta switched to a zone mid-year and it was so good. I have not liked the 1-3-1 all year or the offense. Mack changed to a 2-3 which has not only stifled the opposing teams but the different look has made the 1-3-1 even better. Offensively, somehow X now has 3 good bigs with SOM really stepping up. I never knew he could pass the way he did. His confidence (especially at the line) is through the roof. I watched FSU and thought X would get blown out. They are huge, fast, and deep. Mack absolutely outcoached him. That play to SOM underneath worked both times. I would have bet the ranch on Arizona 2 weeks ago, now I am hoping to join my nephew in Arizona.
-
mumuskie87
- Posts: 12160
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
- Contact:
Re: The Run
Some other similarities -
1) Both 04 and 17 teams played the 1st 2 rounds in Orlando
2) Basketball Jones and Q started in Thursday's and Saturday's games. Last time X started 2 freshman in a NCAA tournament game was 2004 - the Justins - Doellman and Cage
3) Trevon has 1,550 career points and 16th place. He is six points behind the guy in 15th who happens to be Lionel Chalmers.
Destiny.
1) Both 04 and 17 teams played the 1st 2 rounds in Orlando
2) Basketball Jones and Q started in Thursday's and Saturday's games. Last time X started 2 freshman in a NCAA tournament game was 2004 - the Justins - Doellman and Cage
3) Trevon has 1,550 career points and 16th place. He is six points behind the guy in 15th who happens to be Lionel Chalmers.
Destiny.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
-
mumuskie87
- Posts: 12160
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
- Contact:
Re: The Run
I read somewhere that SOM has been practicing hard on his FT's.X-Expert wrote:With Chalmers in Orlando and people talking how this was similar to that year, I didn't buy it...but now, I'm convinced there are a lot of similarities. While that team won last 16 of 18 and torched #1 St Joes by 40, the players on this team now have similarities. That team had Chalmers and Sato all year and Myles came to play in the tourney. This team has Bluitt JP and here comes SOM. That team had Dedrick Finn, now there is Goodin. Finn was a better shooter but Goodin is playing very smart. He knows his limitations. Best part is the zone. Matta switched to a zone mid-year and it was so good. I have not liked the 1-3-1 all year or the offense. Mack changed to a 2-3 which has not only stifled the opposing teams but the different look has made the 1-3-1 even better. Offensively, somehow X now has 3 good bigs with SOM really stepping up. I never knew he could pass the way he did. His confidence (especially at the line) is through the roof. I watched FSU and thought X would get blown out. They are huge, fast, and deep. Mack absolutely outcoached him. That play to SOM underneath worked both times. I would have bet the ranch on Arizona 2 weeks ago, now I am hoping to join my nephew in Arizona.
It's definitely paid off.
The last 5 games he is 21-24 from the line - 88%.
He has improved his FT% each year - 47% as a freshman, 60% as a soph and up to 72% as a junior.
Way to go Big Sean aka The Lumberjack.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
-
X-Expert
- Posts: 2189
- Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm
- Contact:
Re: The Run
Its about confidence with any player. When X beat Butler, they ran that out of bounds play to SOM and he had a wide open lay-up and he dropped the ball. Macura got on him after he missed it. Now he is the #3 option and he is expecting the ball. I really thought X would struggle with FSU and that SOM would be a non-event. He didn't score like he did against Maryland but was efficient. His passing though was huge. He is a actually a threat which opens things up for others right now.mumuskie87 wrote:I read somewhere that SOM has been practicing hard on his FT's.X-Expert wrote:With Chalmers in Orlando and people talking how this was similar to that year, I didn't buy it...but now, I'm convinced there are a lot of similarities. While that team won last 16 of 18 and torched #1 St Joes by 40, the players on this team now have similarities. That team had Chalmers and Sato all year and Myles came to play in the tourney. This team has Bluitt JP and here comes SOM. That team had Dedrick Finn, now there is Goodin. Finn was a better shooter but Goodin is playing very smart. He knows his limitations. Best part is the zone. Matta switched to a zone mid-year and it was so good. I have not liked the 1-3-1 all year or the offense. Mack changed to a 2-3 which has not only stifled the opposing teams but the different look has made the 1-3-1 even better. Offensively, somehow X now has 3 good bigs with SOM really stepping up. I never knew he could pass the way he did. His confidence (especially at the line) is through the roof. I watched FSU and thought X would get blown out. They are huge, fast, and deep. Mack absolutely outcoached him. That play to SOM underneath worked both times. I would have bet the ranch on Arizona 2 weeks ago, now I am hoping to join my nephew in Arizona.
It's definitely paid off.
The last 5 games he is 21-24 from the line - 88%.
He has improved his FT% each year - 47% as a freshman, 60% as a soph and up to 72% as a junior.
Way to go Big Sean aka The Lumberjack.
-
Anti-Homer
- Posts: 7017
- Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
- Contact:
Re: The Run
X-Expert wrote:Its about confidence with any player. When X beat Butler, they ran that out of bounds play to SOM and he had a wide open lay-up and he dropped the ball. Macura got on him after he missed it. Now he is the #3 option and he is expecting the ball. I really thought X would struggle with FSU and that SOM would be a non-event. He didn't score like he did against Maryland but was efficient. His passing though was huge. He is a actually a threat which opens things up for others right now.mumuskie87 wrote:I read somewhere that SOM has been practicing hard on his FT's.X-Expert wrote:With Chalmers in Orlando and people talking how this was similar to that year, I didn't buy it...but now, I'm convinced there are a lot of similarities. While that team won last 16 of 18 and torched #1 St Joes by 40, the players on this team now have similarities. That team had Chalmers and Sato all year and Myles came to play in the tourney. This team has Bluitt JP and here comes SOM. That team had Dedrick Finn, now there is Goodin. Finn was a better shooter but Goodin is playing very smart. He knows his limitations. Best part is the zone. Matta switched to a zone mid-year and it was so good. I have not liked the 1-3-1 all year or the offense. Mack changed to a 2-3 which has not only stifled the opposing teams but the different look has made the 1-3-1 even better. Offensively, somehow X now has 3 good bigs with SOM really stepping up. I never knew he could pass the way he did. His confidence (especially at the line) is through the roof. I watched FSU and thought X would get blown out. They are huge, fast, and deep. Mack absolutely outcoached him. That play to SOM underneath worked both times. I would have bet the ranch on Arizona 2 weeks ago, now I am hoping to join my nephew in Arizona.
It's definitely paid off.
The last 5 games he is 21-24 from the line - 88%.
He has improved his FT% each year - 47% as a freshman, 60% as a soph and up to 72% as a junior.
Way to go Big Sean aka The Lumberjack.
He has great footwork, and he expects to score. He could have scored more, but he is the consummate team player, and let the game come to him.
Stats clearly aren't his main concern. Despite that look at his line (I also included Gates, b/c he played another great game). SOM is turning into a good shot blocker as well.
MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
K. GatesF 30 5-6 4-5 0-0 0 5 5 2 0 0 1 1 14
S. O'MaraF 21 2-2 0-0 7-7 0 5 5 3 1 3 1 2 11
His passing is what surprises me most though. He is decisive, and rarely gets caught in doubles. 10 games ago, everyone was lamenting that X would be hurting in the post next year with SOM & Jones. Not anymore. I was happy to be the calming force on the board. You're welcome.
BTW Expert, I hope your ankles healed from when you jumped off of the bandwagon 3 weeks ago, with guys like Hops, Muskienick, and for a fleeting moment.....my Board Mentor Mman.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1114 guests
