Villanova Game thread 02/11/2017

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X4LIFE
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 02/11/2017

Postby X4LIFE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:31 pm

lionelchalmers0 wrote:Q is currently the only guard on our roster. It sucks he had his freshman game today but you X4life asking him to get benched is hilarious. Also no ed no Myles no bluiett its not like Q has a ton of guys left to dish it to.
Lol! I didn't say they should bench him. I said they should sit him for a few minutes. And I believe there are a couple of guys out there to dish to Gaston, Gates, Macura, Omara. Goodin is having a terrible game. Why not sit him for a while and give him some advice?
mumuskie87
Posts: 12160
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 02/11/2017

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:36 pm

1st time in Tre's college career that he has failed to score.
Understand that he was playing on one leg but without him, X had no chance today.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
lionelchalmers0
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:41 am
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 02/11/2017

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:38 pm

X4LIFE wrote:
lionelchalmers0 wrote:Q is currently the only guard on our roster. It sucks he had his freshman game today but you X4life asking him to get benched is hilarious. Also no ed no Myles no bluiett its not like Q has a ton of guys left to dish it to.
Lol! I didn't say they should bench him. I said they should sit him for a few minutes. And I believe there are a couple of guys out there to dish to Gaston, Gates, Macura, Omara. Goodin is having a terrible game. Why not sit him for a while and give him some advice?
Because they don't have another guard?
mumuskie87
Posts: 12160
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 02/11/2017

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:44 pm

Great game for RaShid - 23 points, 10-13 from the field and 10 boards, including 6 o-boards.

Rest of the team -
6-21 from 3 or 29% (Q was 0-4 from 3)
5-26 from 2 or 19%. (Q was 1-10 from 2)
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
mumuskie87
Posts: 12160
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 02/11/2017

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Doesn't get any easier - X goes on the road for 3 games - Providence, Marquette and Seton Hall.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
X4LIFE
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 02/11/2017

Postby X4LIFE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:49 pm

lionelchalmers0 wrote:
X4LIFE wrote:
lionelchalmers0 wrote:Q is currently the only guard on our roster. It sucks he had his freshman game today but you X4life asking him to get benched is hilarious. Also no ed no Myles no bluiett its not like Q has a ton of guys left to dish it to.
Lol! I didn't say they should bench him. I said they should sit him for a few minutes. And I believe there are a couple of guys out there to dish to Gaston, Gates, Macura, Omara. Goodin is having a terrible game. Why not sit him for a while and give him some advice?


Because they don't have another guard?
Macura or Bernard can play point and they go big with Jones Gaston and Gates. Gates can shoot a three, can't he? Maybe a few minutes would have done Q some good. Catch his breath and get his head back in the game. There are no rules saying you have to play three or even two guards.
bluegrass
Posts: 3411
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 02/11/2017

Postby bluegrass » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:53 pm

Going big didn't work. Created too many mismatches on defense. .Would be nice to rest Quentin but we're short handed to begin with. Tim Stainbrook would have had to p lay. This game was over when Bluiett went out
Last edited by bluegrass on Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 02/11/2017

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:49 pm

bluegrass wrote:Going big didn't work. Created too many mismatches on defense. .Would be nice to rest Quentin but we're short handed to begin with. Tim Stainbrook would gave had to p lay. This game was over when Bluiett went out
when Tre went out Nova went on a 22-9 run,
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X4LIFE
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 02/11/2017

Postby X4LIFE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:42 pm

I wasn't saying that going big was the key to winning. I think Q needed time to gather his thoughts. I think he is feeling the pressure of replacing Sumner and is just trying to do too much. Guys tried to step up, X gave it their all. But there is something missing. Nova has players missing and still is tough to beat. They have that "it" factor, swag, confidence and cool under pressure even when they are missing a player or two. Part of the problem right now for X is they haven't really come together. They really haven't had a chance to. But, like Mack has said you play with what you've got. I think there's hope but, the time to come together and for players to step up and play consistent team basketball is fading with each passing game. I am hoping for the best.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 02/11/2017

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:12 pm

X4LIFE wrote:If Mack isn't going to sit Goodin for a few minutes can an assistant? At this point if I were other players I would play keep away just to prevent Goodin from handling or shooting the ball.Gates and Macura playing hard though.
Having Bernard or Macura play pg against Nova’s defense would have been disastrous. Goodin actually ran a very good game at point. He just should have realized after the 5th shot (and reinforced from the bench), that dishing the ball, and not shooting it, is his strength. Most pgs finish about 80-85%% of the time at the rim. Even if Goodin finished 50% of his point blank shots, X would at least have had a chance.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 847 guests