Who ruined Musketeer Madness?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Pierre Dracot
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Who ruined Musketeer Madness?

Postby Pierre Dracot » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:36 pm

I appreciate Musketeer Madness and consider it a privilege to be even a small part of it.

I haven't posted here because it took several visits for me to figure out the site's design and functionality. For example, because the same two threads were always at the top--with no recent additions--there seemed to be no activity; I did look further down the page, but for some reason I wasn't able to make sense of that, either. (I wasn't familiar with the concept of "stickies.")

It doesn't make sense to me, either, that one must page through the replies to a given post to get to the most recent one.

Also, I've been spending a lot of time at TPM, Daily Kos, and Huffington Post.

OT: If you're looking for a good sports bet, take Italy at 7-1 in the European Championship, which starts on Saturday (even though Italy lost it's captain, central defender Fabio Cannavaro, to injury).
Last edited by Pierre Dracot on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Who ruined Musketeer Madness?

Postby Mr. Neutral » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:41 pm

I guess you've forgotten station owner Guy Caballero's threat to show "soccer, nothing but soccer, all day!" on SCTV if viewers don't start giving money during a pledge drive.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
Pierre Dracot
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Who ruined Musketeer Madness?

Postby Pierre Dracot » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:43 pm

I love this site, in spite of its Republicans and soccerphobes.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Who ruined Musketeer Madness?

Postby Mr. Neutral » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:17 pm

Democrat and soccerphobe (along with Tony Kornheiser), thank you.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
Pierre Dracot
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Who ruined Musketeer Madness?

Postby Pierre Dracot » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:39 pm

I prefer Mike Wilbon (a Democrat who appreciates and talks about soccer) to Tony Kornheiser.
JimmyCarter
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Who ruined Musketeer Madness?

Postby JimmyCarter » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Who ruined Musketeer Madness? The Shadow knows....

Image
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Who ruined Musketeer Madness?

Postby Mr. Neutral » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:25 pm

Soccer's like hockey, but without the shots on goal (much less the actual goals), and only if the game was played between the blue lines.

What U.S. soccer fans fail to understand is that it's a big-time latecomer to the U.S. sporting scene. It's behind baseball, football, basketball, golf, hockey, boxing and tennis in terms of being part of the U.S. sporting scene.

I doubt if Europeans feel ashamed that they're not bigger baseball fans; there's no reason for U.S. sports fans to feel ashamed that they're not bigger soccer fans.

People who play soccer tend to follow it; everyone else goes "what else is on?".
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
CarlosTheJackal
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Contact:

Re: Who ruined Musketeer Madness?

Postby CarlosTheJackal » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:44 pm

Confessions:
wo
I am a sports fan, all sports. Yes, Ive watched curling on TV. Ive been to two Olympics, a Commonweath Games, Pan Am Games, World Cup, WNBA games. It's about conflict and resolution, wherever it is, and I love to see it play out.

I watch the soccer/football network. Got hooked while a student in London. If you have never been IN a hyped up European soccer stadium, I can see where you migh not get it. The chanting and singing puts any Dog Pound, college basketball, even a Dookie in the shamateur class. It's just a culture that you cannot imagine unless you experience it. Secondly, play at the top level is incredible, as athletic as our favorite basketball stars.

I am a major hockey fan, totally delighted Wings supporter from the Production Line days. Unless you have tried to play hockey, catch a puck on your stick while skating and ducking opposing checks, you probably can't appreciate how skillful the Wings are. If 55 shots in a game for one team is not enough for you, then you ARE an NBA junkie, and there is no cure.

The Man in the Arena is my sports philosophical mantra... daring to both win and lose. It's why Boobirds totally disgust me.

End of rant. Pierre, many of the flamers and swif tboaters have decamped to "the other board", where fabrications about Barak HUSSEIN Obama and his wife are blossoming.
wkrq59
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: Who ruined Musketeer Madness?

Postby wkrq59 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:16 pm

:mrgreen: Gary, et al.
Soccer is not popular here in the USA except in the European and Hispanic Ghetto (no slight intended, just a grouping ) for several reasons. It's too slow. there isn't enough scoring and relatively little violence to satisfy the US fan. That said, it is a beautiful sport akin to hockey in that it is a sport of motion and position devoid of hands and sticks. It has not the speed of hockey and definitely lacks the collision aspect and the hitting.
Here in Greater Cincinnati youth soccer is very popular and high school even more so. But the pro game and upper level contests have never been well attended and never will be for one huge reason. If you are a soccer mom or dad and you are driving your kids to games and practices several times a week--at the elite youth level it's damn near five days a week, the very last thing you and your spouse want to do is spend your weekend recreation time at a damned soccer game being played by young men whose names you can't pronounce and whom you know nothing about.
I once had a colleague say he's rather his daughter (age 5 at the time) grow up to be a hooker rather than a soccer player. "Goes to show you never can tell..." :mrgreen:
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Who ruined Musketeer Madness?

Postby muskieman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Pierre Dracot wrote:I appreciate Musketeer Madness and consider it a privilege to be even a small part of it.

1) I haven't posted here because it took several visits for me to figure out the site's design and functionality. For example, because the same two threads were always at the top--with no recent additions--there seemed to be no activity; I did look further down the page, but for some reason I wasn't able to make sense of that, either. (I wasn't familiar with the concept of "stickies.")

2) It doesn't make sense to me, either, that one must page through the replies to a given post to get to the most recent one.

3) Also, I've been spending a lot of time at TPM, Daily Kos, and Huffington Post.

4) OT: If you're looking for a good sports bet, take Italy at 7-1 in the European Championship, which starts on Saturday (even though Italy lost it's captain, central defender Fabio Cannavaro, to injury).
Okay you have been to this site a number of times and
1) have never seen the words "View active topics"? Click on it next time.

2) hit that little icon next to the posters name on the right side of the thread which takes you to the last post made. Many websites have that same feature.

3) now I see why you brain is a little fried.

4) this confirms why you had so much trouble :-}
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1153 guests