East Tennessee State Game 12/16/2017

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X4LIFE
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: East Tennessee State Game 12/16/2017

Postby X4LIFE » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Please Muskieman don’t kid yourself. You were of no help at all. Editing posts is something I’ve seen you do many times (only because people on this board have called you out). You need to realize that not everyone thinks like you. And that everyone has an opinion. Whether you like it or not what is voiced on this board matters to the person writing it. This board would be much better and more popular if members didn’t have their posts screened and edited because they politely and without bad language spoke their opinion. Do better.
finalfourorbust
Posts: 1392
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:41 am
Contact:

Re: East Tennessee State Game 12/16/2017

Postby finalfourorbust » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:45 pm

I think this game was more about how well East Tennessee played than about Xavier's bad play. Xavier missed shots which is going to happen in a long season and I think they faced the best defense that they have seen all season. The big 7 footer shut down the inside game and we couldn't make outside shots. Our comeback was managed when we went to the 1-3-1 defense and East Tennessee had no answer for it. Mack did a great coaching job to close out the game with the foul utilization. Great job by the defense in giving 3 fouls without fouling a 3 point shooter.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26783
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: East Tennessee State Game 12/16/2017

Postby muskieman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:08 pm

finalfourorbust wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:45 pm
I think this game was more about how well East Tennessee played than about Xavier's bad play. Xavier missed shots which is going to happen in a long season and I think they faced the best defense that they have seen all season. The big 7 footer shut down the inside game and we couldn't make outside shots. Our comeback was managed when we went to the 1-3-1 defense and East Tennessee had no answer for it. Mack did a great coaching job to close out the game with the foul utilization. Great job by the defense in giving 3 fouls without fouling a 3 point shooter.
I think you are right about ETS playing a great game today and had they hit one or two of their shots against the 1-3-1 they would have not lost but the fact that Mack stuck with it was a great job of coaching. ETS seemed to have a hard time figuring out what they wanted to do and X did not commit the fouls they later used to seal the game. It is a good game for X because they see that their teammates did not give up and hang their heads as most teams do. If the 7 footer didn't get tired so quickly and could have played more than 27 minutes they might also have won. Our bigs were fresh and in the second half X's blocks changed the stat from 9 for them to 9-5, and the last X blocks were big. I doubt JP will have another 1 point game again this season.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
bluegrass
Posts: 3411
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm
Contact:

Re: East Tennessee State Game 12/16/2017

Postby bluegrass » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:09 pm

A win is a win. We won't have too many games where we shoot that poorly.
skyhops
Posts: 3926
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: East Tennessee State Game 12/16/2017

Postby skyhops » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:17 pm

East Tennessee State was a solid team and tourney team last year. Our effort of the defensive end was not good but a win is a win. Goodin and JP did not play well.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26783
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: East Tennessee State Game 12/16/2017

Postby muskieman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Chris Mack said he has NO update on health status of JP Macura, Kaiser Gates. JP had his head snapped back on a play and Gates ran into a Marshall knee. Hope they are not concussions. On a Separate note, Elias Harden and Paul Scruggs violated some kind of team rules and were suspended, for lack of a better word.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X4LIFE
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: East Tennessee State Game 12/16/2017

Postby X4LIFE » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:58 pm

So this just happened. I received a private message for voicing my opinion on this board and was called an “ass”. Well, it could be because I said I didn’t want a certain someone to get their panties in a bunch (that was deleted). But that is the norm when a certain moderator doesn’t like what you say good or bad. Yes I did say I was out and was done. We all say things we don’t mean.
But, if I get booted so be it. I’ll stand by my comments. I’ve made a negative comment three or four times this year today and in X’s loss to ASU. Nothing too outrageous.
Let me make it clear I love X. Received my degree there. Followed X since 1984. At one point had been to every tourney game they were in. Attending X was a great time.
I like to read the comments here and I don’t always reply. I’ve been a member since Churchill Odia came to X and all the buzz around him. But like I said if it ends because I have an opinion, oh well.
Last edited by X4LIFE on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MOSQUETERO
Posts: 1318
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: East Tennessee State Game 12/16/2017

Postby MOSQUETERO » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:08 pm

Still don't know why teams go up big and then want to "park the bus". I knew we had a shot when ETSU decided to take the air out of the ball. Keep doing what got you that 22 point lead. But thank you. I'll take the W. there is no moral victory in a loss. It would've been a devastating day for the BE had we lost.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 7016
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: East Tennessee State Game 12/16/2017

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Law of averages said a game like this was coming. ETSU is solid, but it should be a 20 point win on a normal day. X gave them every opportunity to take the game because their two best players played poorly. Tre was great the 1st five minutes, then the last ten seconds. Other than that, he forced about 6 ridiculous shots. High volume scorers like Tre are going to take a couple bad shots a game, but he filled his quota for this, and the next two games.

JP also showed poor shot selection, but it happens. CM coached a good game, particularly the trey set up for Kantner with 45 seconds left, but should have reigned them in on their ridiculous amount of treys. It's one thing if they're falling, but I don't think they even shot 30%. Bottom line though is they won, and WSU lost at home (though played a much better team), meaning X should once again rank a spot higher.

Marshall will be on one of the All BE Teams next year. Just not sure which one yet. He has the 3rd or 4th best handle on the team, and passes very well when he gets into the lane. He also plays very solid defense, and can obviously score, mainly near the rim.

Good timing on which game to lay an egg.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26783
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: East Tennessee State Game 12/16/2017

Postby muskieman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Marshall does a good job moving his feet which showed on a charge the took today. He forces things at time but not today and he has good hands catching the ball for a freshman.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 542 guests