So Many Heroes from Last Night

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
XU80
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:16 pm
Contact:

So Many Heroes from Last Night

Postby XU80 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:31 am

Where to start; How about:

1.) A freshman point guard who played 35+ minutes playing as cool as a senior.
2.) Malcom Bernard who made three critical threes, playing in front of a national television audience after playing three years at a low D1 program
3.) Sean O'Mara making play after play, none bigger than the final bucket, after having a very uneventful first 2 years, plus his big rebounds in the final few minutes
4. Tre keeping us in the game with 18 first half points.
5.) JP heart and soul with key plays on both ends of the court, including the great deflection off Trier that went out of bounds.
6.) The coaching staff and coach Mack, time and time after timeouts, set plays that yielded big baskets

I am sure there are more to add to this list!!!

Proud to be a MUSKIE!!!
titansbaseball01
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm
Contact:

Re: So Many Heroes from Last Night

Postby titansbaseball01 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:38 am

It really is incredible. I'm so happy for this team and this coaching staff. What they are accomplishing is surreal. I did not believe this team had it in them and I am so happy they proved me so wrong.

We're not finished yet.
franklinwdixon
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:03 pm
Contact:

Re: So Many Heroes from Last Night

Postby franklinwdixon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:56 am

A few weeks ago, I absolutely ripped the team, program, Mack, and all of Norwood on the Board here. I had all the answers for what they should've done all year.

I AM AN IDIOT.

Last night was a thing of beauty. Proud of the team. Proud of the result, but also the way they played. Just a great run right now. And I should've believed all along. My sincerest apologies. I'm so glad I was wrong!!!
XU80
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:16 pm
Contact:

Re: So Many Heroes from Last Night

Postby XU80 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:10 am

franklinwdixon wrote:A few weeks ago, I absolutely ripped the team, program, Mack, and all of Norwood on the Board here. I had all the answers for what they should've done all year.

I AM AN IDIOT.

Last night was a thing of beauty. Proud of the team. Proud of the result, but also the way they played. Just a great run right now. And I should've believed all along. My sincerest apologies. I'm so glad I was wrong!!!
No worries as there are many on this board and not on this board that had Xavier buried. This team has overcome so much adversity, we will remember this Team 95 for a long, long time, but I think there is at least one more chapter to be written.
oreobob
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:05 pm
Contact:

Re: So Many Heroes from Last Night

Postby oreobob » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:17 am

Love X since 46 when I was 7.
xu koop scoop
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: So Many Heroes from Last Night

Postby xu koop scoop » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:20 am

Trevon Bluiett wrote an article about the "urn of burnt February calendars" the team came up with. He also wrote about the players having a meeting after 6 straight losses and Malcolm Bernard becoming a leader and stating the team was being selfish and needed to fight harder for rebounds, loose balls, steals, etc.... Maybe someone can repost link to that article.The whole team has been EXTREMELY INSPIRED after that & the 2 players who have shined the most since then are Bernard himself - who seems to be a team leader -'& Sean O"Mara who keeps getting key baskets & rebounds. Gates drive to the hole & being fouled for a traditional 3 was something I loved seeing. Even Gaston scored in paint & defended well in limited minutes.
mumuskie87
Posts: 12160
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: So Many Heroes from Last Night

Postby mumuskie87 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:23 am

xu koop scoop wrote:Trevon Bluiett wrote an article about the "urn of burnt February calendars" the team came up with. He also wrote about the players having a meeting after 6 straight losses and Malcolm Bernard becoming a leader and stating the team was being selfish and needed to fight harder for rebounds, loose balls, steals, etc.... Maybe someone can repost link to that article.The whole team has been EXTREMELY INSPIRED after that & the 2 players who have shined the most since then are Bernard himself - who seems to be a team leader -'& Sean O"Mara who keeps getting key baskets & rebounds. Gates drive to the hole & being fouled for a traditional 3 was something I loved seeing. Even Gaston scored in paint & defended well in limited minutes.

It is posted as a separate thread on this board - it's called The Players Tribune - Trevon Bluiett. By MOSQUETERO
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
skyhops
Posts: 3926
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: So Many Heroes from Last Night

Postby skyhops » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:53 am

Even Anti Homer has to admit that Tre is the man
mumuskie87
Posts: 12160
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: So Many Heroes from Last Night

Postby mumuskie87 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:11 pm

XU80 wrote:Where to start; How about:

1.) A freshman point guard who played 35+ minutes playing as cool as a senior.
2.) Malcom Bernard who made three critical threes, playing in front of a national television audience after playing three years at a low D1 program
3.) Sean O'Mara making play after play, none bigger than the final bucket, after having a very uneventful first 2 years, plus his big rebounds in the final few minutes
4. Tre keeping us in the game with 18 first half points.
5.) JP heart and soul with key plays on both ends of the court, including the great deflection off Trier that went out of bounds.
6.) The coaching staff and coach Mack, time and time after timeouts, set plays that yielded big baskets

I am sure there are more to add to this list!!!

Proud to be a MUSKIE!!!
Q had only 2 points but his dunk put X ahead 53-52 at that point in the game.
He also had 6 assists and 3 TO''s and I believe only 1 TO in the 2H. He has really stepped up.
The light has come on for Big Sean. After Basketball Jones had missed a couple shots early in the game and I saw Big Sean sitting at the scorers table waiting to check in and remember thinking I'm so glad he is coming into the game. I know I didn't have those thoughts 3-4 weeks ago.
Tre has a fantastic 1H and while he struggled more in the 2H, he made a big 3 when AZ had gone up by 8 points. Made 2 clutch FT's down the stretch and, of course, the game winning assist to Big Sean.
JP - What a performance!! He has had better shooting and scoring games but I don't think he has had a better all round game than he had last night. Total of 14 pts, 7 boards including 3 offensive boards, 5 assists (all of them a thing of beauty) and only 1 TO.
Malcolm - WOW!! What a game. Tre goes out with 3rd foul. Az up by 4. Malcolm hits a clutch 3. Gets an offensive rebound that turns into points
Hits a huge 3 to cut AZ's lead down to 4. Gets a big o-board after JP shot a 3 and made both his FT's. Cut Az's lead to 2. And lastly, secured the rebound on the last shot of the game.
Gaston only played a few minutes but made a big left handed hook shot and also had a steal.
Gates didn't make the 3's like in FSU game but had an old-fashioned 3 ( basket and one) plus had 3 big defensive boards.
Basketball Jones, after missing his first 2 shots, went 2-3 from the field.
Total team effort and victory.
Proud day to be a Muskie Fan.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
drendo74
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:28 am
Contact:

Re: So Many Heroes from Last Night

Postby drendo74 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:38 pm

The tv closeups of Malcolm Bernard's facial expressions after his made baskets demonstrated perfectly the focus and intensity that the entire team has had in the post season!

And the pushing and shoving back and forth by Macura and Bluiett going on all night sure showed that this team refuses to be intimidated by any of the opponents! (JP was lucky he wasn't called for foul with his retaliation push of the Finnish Freak running down the court!)

The triple-headed monster combination of Gaston, Jones and O'Mara in the paint demonstrates that X doesn't give up anything to the best post players in the country!

Gates has finally lost his reluctance to mix it up underneath with his drives to the hoop and rebounding. We know he can drain the 3's!

Goodin continues to mature and get better every game! (I'm relieved to not be playing Press Virginia though!)

It was great to see the fab 5 bench players get to see some playing time at the end of the FSU game too.

Can't wait until Saturday! Let the best Jesuits win!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 794 guests