NIT Bound

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
PaulHickey
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:36 am
Contact:

Re: NIT Bound

Postby PaulHickey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Hallelujah - why doesn't everyone just tone it down a bit? As a Xavier Superfan I can understand the frustration, but the insults, along with "you don't post if I win, blah" get on with it. You sound like idiots. It's College basketball, and these are young men we're dealing with here. Xavier has been on a positive trajectory for some time now - we have a bitchin' stadium and play in an awesome league. Do you not think that Mack and the entire team are feeling it? You think it's a fun ride home after getting ass-whipped at Marquette? I don't care if they lose every remaining game this year - I don't really care if they lose every remaining game they ever play. It's just college hoops... Look at what we do have, instead of what we don't have.. One thing is certain, we have a great recruiting class coming in. Xavier will rise again. Stay positive. I'll be cheering for them if they make the tourney, the NIT, or the CTI - whatever the hell that is...
JKC74
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:30 pm
Contact:

Re: NIT Bound

Postby JKC74 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:51 pm

As far as XU is concerned the NIT may be out of the question as well as the NCAA tourney because the MSG no longer owns the NIT. It is property of the NCAA. Years ago the NIT committee loved to invite schools like Xavier even with double digit losses. The field always contained local NYC schools and a couple of big timers. That is no longer the case. If the selection committee follows any semblence of the NCAA selection process we may be on the sidewalk.
pcp33
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Re: NIT Bound

Postby pcp33 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:08 pm

JKC74 wrote:As far as XU is concerned the NIT may be out of the question as well as the NCAA tourney because the MSG no longer owns the NIT. It is property of the NCAA. Years ago the NIT committee loved to invite schools like Xavier even with double digit losses. The field always contained local NYC schools and a couple of big timers. That is no longer the case. If the selection committee follows any semblence of the NCAA selection process we may be on the sidewalk.
Ok, I'll bite. Why are you concerned with missing the NIT when literally every prognosticator has Xavier safely in the NCAA tournament?
Anti-Homer
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: NIT Bound

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:21 pm

pcp33 wrote:
XU Captain wrote:
pcp33 wrote:Captain, if you can point me to any reputable source that predicts Xavier will miss this year's NCAA tournament, I will stop posting.
I use my common sense, something you lack. You need to read from a so-called expert - the same experts who said Goodin was a 4-star recruit and it's obvious now he's not - to hep you figure out Xavier is not an NCAA Tournament team. They are bad right now. It is not getting better. They have lost 4 straight with more on the way. The geeks who sit around putting together fake brackets which are never close? You actually listen to that? Come back on Selection Sunday and we will see who is right.
Fair enough. So why not agree to my wager? If Xavier makes the NCAA tournament, you never post again. If they are in the NIT or CBI, I will never post again.

I'm sure you're referring to the same Quentin Goodin who has a significantly better Assist rate than a freshman Tu Holloway and Dee Davis and a comparable ORtg per KenPom (against significantly better competition). But please, I'm not going to blow your argument to pieces on multiple fronts, let's stick with the tournament scenarios for now. You can't even figure out that a major conference team projected as a 7 seed on Feb 23rd is not going to the CBI and you want to discuss the nuances of recruiting class rankings? No way.

I repeat: YOU. ARE. CLUELESS.
So why not agree to my wager? If Xavier makes the NCAA tournament, you never post again
Better yet,

if Captain's prediction doesn't come true, he can no longer play on the monkey bars behind the elementary school or sit at the cool table at lunch. That'll show him.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: NIT Bound

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:25 pm

pcp33 wrote:If Scruggs well enough to go to the NBA after one year, I hope he (or anyone in that situation) takes advantage of the opportunity. If Xavier starts to recruit guys who don't want to go to the NBA as soon as possible, the program will drop off quickly. Scruggs is no more or less interested in school than any high major basketball player. They all recognize school is a means to an end if they want to succeed in high level D1 ball with hopes of making money playing professionally.

The column, NOT article, in the Indy Star was more or less a hit piece written from the perspective of Indiana HS ball losing local talent to prep schools and out of state colleges.
Scruggs is no more or less interested in school than any high major basketball player. They all recognize school is a means to an end if they want to succeed in high level D1 ball with hopes of making money playing professionally.
Karnac,

What's it like being all knowing? I think you owe Edmund Sumner an apology, though I admit, we do recruit our fair share of school averse prospects.
pcp33
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Re: NIT Bound

Postby pcp33 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:37 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
pcp33 wrote:If Scruggs well enough to go to the NBA after one year, I hope he (or anyone in that situation) takes advantage of the opportunity. If Xavier starts to recruit guys who don't want to go to the NBA as soon as possible, the program will drop off quickly. Scruggs is no more or less interested in school than any high major basketball player. They all recognize school is a means to an end if they want to succeed in high level D1 ball with hopes of making money playing professionally.

The column, NOT article, in the Indy Star was more or less a hit piece written from the perspective of Indiana HS ball losing local talent to prep schools and out of state colleges.
Scruggs is no more or less interested in school than any high major basketball player. They all recognize school is a means to an end if they want to succeed in high level D1 ball with hopes of making money playing professionally.
Karnac,

What's it like being all knowing? I think you owe Edmund Sumner an apology, though I admit, we do recruit our fair share of school averse prospects.
Well, by the same criteria XU Captain was using to conclude Scruggs has no interest in school, neither does Sumner due to his likelihood/desire to leave early for the NBA as soon as it makes sense. You might want to apologize for misspelling Edmond's name, however.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: NIT Bound

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:13 pm

pcp33 wrote:
Anti-Homer wrote:
pcp33 wrote:If Scruggs well enough to go to the NBA after one year, I hope he (or anyone in that situation) takes advantage of the opportunity. If Xavier starts to recruit guys who don't want to go to the NBA as soon as possible, the program will drop off quickly. Scruggs is no more or less interested in school than any high major basketball player. They all recognize school is a means to an end if they want to succeed in high level D1 ball with hopes of making money playing professionally.

The column, NOT article, in the Indy Star was more or less a hit piece written from the perspective of Indiana HS ball losing local talent to prep schools and out of state colleges.
Scruggs is no more or less interested in school than any high major basketball player. They all recognize school is a means to an end if they want to succeed in high level D1 ball with hopes of making money playing professionally.
Karnac,

What's it like being all knowing? I think you owe Edmund Sumner an apology, though I admit, we do recruit our fair share of school averse prospects.
Well, by the same criteria XU Captain was using to conclude Scruggs has no interest in school, neither does Sumner due to his likelihood/desire to leave early for the NBA as soon as it makes sense. You might want to apologize for misspelling Edmond's name, however.
Good catch. I apologize to Edmond. Now might be a good time for you to apologize to him for assuming he has no interest in school. Also, please let me knowwhether your fight with Captain will be after recess, or after the last bell.
oldhoopster2
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: NIT Bound

Postby oldhoopster2 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:26 pm

I for one will be in my seat at the Cintas if X plays one or more games at home in the NIT. If they are in the NCAA, I will be in my seat at home in front of a TV. If/when they lose in either of these, I'll suffer, but look towards next year. I'm also attending the BE tournament for the first time and will enjoy my time in NYC whether X wins or loses games there. I also think Goodin is doing quite well under the circumstances, though he obviously needs to work on his shot. His defense and ball handling are probably above average in comparison to many XU point guards in the past and he's in a much tougher league. Give him time. Even Dee Davis came around as a decent point guard when he had some shooters on the team.
pcp33
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Re: NIT Bound

Postby pcp33 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:51 pm

[/quote] Good catch. I apologize to Edmond. Now might be a good time for you to apologize to him for assuming he has no interest in school. Also, please let me knowwhether your fight with Captain will be after recess, or after the last bell.[/quote]

I would happily apologize if I had said that, but I didn't. I said school for Ed (and others playing high-major D1 ball with eyes on making a career of the sport) is a means to an end to accomplish that. Not really a controversial statement. That doesn't mean any or all of those players can't excel in school and enjoy learning.

Don't worry, this will be my last post until I come back to reemphasize just how wrong Captain and the many on here who seem to think X is on the NIT bubble were.
skyhops
Posts: 3928
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: NIT Bound

Postby skyhops » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:33 pm

I hope AH will return my Captain and Tennille album

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 858 guests