Guards= who will redshirt?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
wkrq59
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby wkrq59 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:43 pm

:mrgreen: To date, Crawford's eligibility for 08-09 is definitely not a sure thing.
Each of the incoming freshmen signed up--probably with the exception of Frease--knowing that he would have to work his butt off and fight like a banshee for playing time.
That said, and also thinking of a needed academic adjustment, have we considered that Dante Jackson has more experience than any of the incoming freshmen-Halloway included--, is well versed in the Xavier way and has a full year of play on an Elite 8 team under his belt?
One final point. The presence of all this back-court talent gives Sean the option (If Crawford becomes eligible) to go 13 deep. It's not unheard of and certainly possible even if unlikely.
If the entire cadre of back-court players has the talent that Sean saw in them and gave him a reason to press their recruitment, Xavier could have one helluva team and redshirting would be totally unnecessary.
But it still is a long way to October and I believe we do a disservice to Sean and his assistants and to the recruits themselves by designating them for red-shirt wearing.
Of course that theory doesn't take into account our superior knowledge of all
the facets and ramifications of college (and any other kind) basketball. I know the off-season is hell for a true Xavier basketball fan, but there are plenty inane as well as worthwhile thread topics for our perusal and comments. :mrgreen:
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby Mr. Neutral » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:45 pm

I think we're all expecting (and hoping) to see a much-improved Dante Jackson this fall, but I'll be absolutely shocked if he shows the skills needed to be a top-notch Div. I PG.

In a pinch, maybe, but if he's our starter, either his ballhandling has improved 500%, or we're in deep doo-doo.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
_LH
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby _LH » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:49 am

WKRQ,

Please, list the teams in DI that go or have gone 13 deep. Someone will redshirt if Crawford can play and probably will even if he can't.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby muskieman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:05 am

I hope that all players play and none red shirt but if it happens I hope it helps that person become a better student and player. Nothing like competition to bring out the best in a player and let you know which player might not be a team player.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
_LH
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby _LH » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:47 am

I hope an incoming freshman does not waste a year of eligibility averaging 2 minutes per game but that's just me I guess.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby muskieman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:29 pm

That is an assumption but if they only average 2 minutes it must them and not the numbers which might give us insight into their determination to get playing time.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
_LH
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby _LH » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:59 pm

MM,

There are only so many minutes to go around. Please list the breakdown in minutes per game for the new players (assuming Crawford can play right away) and tell me how you think there won't be 1-2 guys with very limited PT. After a month's worth of practices, I am sure one guy will know he is going to see very limted PT as a freshman and think stongly about redshirting so he does not waste a year of eligibilty sitting the bench.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby muskieman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Man LH, you don't think like these kids do! IF X had a Drew Lanvender on the team you might be right about playing time but X doesn't have one right now.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
_LH
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby _LH » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:24 pm

MM,

It is simple math. There are only 40 minutes at each position and XU typically goes 7-9 deep. Halloway, Lyons, Jackson, Redford, Raymond, Graves, Walsh and possibly Crawford play the 1 or 2.

Raymond will see probably 28 or more minutes per game split between the 2 and 3. Jackson will see 25 or more minutes per game at the 1 or 2.

That leaves Halloway, Lyons, Redford, Graves, Walsh and Crawford (6 guys) fighting for PT at the 1 or 2. Someone will get the short end of the stick and I would rather that person redshit rather than play 1-2 minutes of mop up time.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby muskieman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:33 pm

So unless you are Sean. what you would rather see means nothing. Not to knock your opinion but it means as much as mine in the Sean Miller game plan.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 662 guests