I think we've said this before, but it looks like Miller is stockpiling more talent on the roster than we've ever seen.
X could be a real, live player, and not just an upset special. Wow!
TSN's DeCourcy: Crawford a muskie
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: TSN's DeCourcy: Crawford a muskie
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
Re: TSN's DeCourcy: Crawford a muskie
I would not be surprised at all should the NCAA give Crawford, and any other IU player who has left, immediate eligibility.
I say that because it is another way to "stick it to IU" even before sanctions come down, and they will come down and hard.
In this case, IU has "failed" the student-athlete by its lack of oversight of the basketball program, and by not granting immediate eligibility it is in essence telling the student-athlete "your University screwed up, but you get to be punished too."
Now, I'm not saying this will happen real quick, but when they do issue their sanctions, this will be a part of it.
No promises, just a gut feeling.
I say that because it is another way to "stick it to IU" even before sanctions come down, and they will come down and hard.
In this case, IU has "failed" the student-athlete by its lack of oversight of the basketball program, and by not granting immediate eligibility it is in essence telling the student-athlete "your University screwed up, but you get to be punished too."
Now, I'm not saying this will happen real quick, but when they do issue their sanctions, this will be a part of it.
No promises, just a gut feeling.
- muskieman
- Posts: 26817
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: TSN's DeCourcy: Crawford a muskie
HOw does IU's infractions compare to osu's? IU probably has fallen farther than any other program from squeaky clean to corrupt in just a few short years. Bobby Knight looks good compared to this. Think he put a hex on them?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
gym from delhi
- Posts: 733
- Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:42 pm
- Contact:
Re: TSN's DeCourcy: Crawford a muskie
I wonder how the Taylor family felt about losing this scholarship in June. Isn't this the sort of thing for which we criticize UC? How many players does X need?
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: TSN's DeCourcy: Crawford a muskie
gym, it depends on what was discussed between Miller, Taylor and Taylor's family as this process unfolded.
Sight unseen, we all thought Taylor was more like a super-walkon, and his deal all along may have been that the scholarship would be moved to someone else if needed.
Bottom line is that none of us know what was said between the parties. If Taylor had been led to believe that his scholarship was his until he graduated and then he had the rug pulled out from under him, I'd be disappointed.
But he may have gone along with it in the same fashion the pro players semi-routinely agree to have their deal restructured (or even take a cut) if it means adding another player that will make the team stronger.
We've seen nothing that indicates that Miller (or Bobinski) are insensitive cutthroats, so I'm going to trust them on this until we find out otherwise.
Sight unseen, we all thought Taylor was more like a super-walkon, and his deal all along may have been that the scholarship would be moved to someone else if needed.
Bottom line is that none of us know what was said between the parties. If Taylor had been led to believe that his scholarship was his until he graduated and then he had the rug pulled out from under him, I'd be disappointed.
But he may have gone along with it in the same fashion the pro players semi-routinely agree to have their deal restructured (or even take a cut) if it means adding another player that will make the team stronger.
We've seen nothing that indicates that Miller (or Bobinski) are insensitive cutthroats, so I'm going to trust them on this until we find out otherwise.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26817
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: TSN's DeCourcy: Crawford a muskie
I think Gary is closer to the reality of the situation.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
Re: TSN's DeCourcy: Crawford a muskie
I think the IU infractions were far worse. At OSU the problem was a player from oversea's being boarded at a booster's (woman) house while he was ineligible for an NCAA scholarship, and an assistant coach slipping her money. (He went on the WSU, and has since been fired).
Can't remember if the player ever played for OSU.
The previous AD at OSU, a real
$#@&^ fired O'Brien, and cost OSU several million since the courts ruled he wrongfully fired him.
To keep the NCAA at arms length OSU punished itself by making the team ineligible for the Big Ten tournament the following year. Big Deal.
At IU, Sampson was caught breaking the rules, the University was warned, and six months later they broke the same rule repeatedly (phone calls) then lied about it to the NCAA (a real no-no).
Their complience office was also afoul of NCAA rules, and I suspect that Brandt also wants to punish people there.
There is also some stuff that supposedly Illinois ratted 'em out on.
I think they are going to get hammered!
Can't remember if the player ever played for OSU.
The previous AD at OSU, a real
$#@&^ fired O'Brien, and cost OSU several million since the courts ruled he wrongfully fired him.
To keep the NCAA at arms length OSU punished itself by making the team ineligible for the Big Ten tournament the following year. Big Deal.
At IU, Sampson was caught breaking the rules, the University was warned, and six months later they broke the same rule repeatedly (phone calls) then lied about it to the NCAA (a real no-no).
Their complience office was also afoul of NCAA rules, and I suspect that Brandt also wants to punish people there.
There is also some stuff that supposedly Illinois ratted 'em out on.
I think they are going to get hammered!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26817
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: TSN's DeCourcy: Crawford a muskie
That happens when you steal a recruit!Wisexuowl wrote:I think the IU infractions were far worse. At OSU the problem was a player from oversea's being boarded at a booster's (woman) house while he was ineligible for an NCAA scholarship, and an assistant coach slipping her money. (He went on the WSU, and has since been fired).
Can't remember if the player ever played for OSU.
The previous AD at OSU, a real
$#@&^ fired O'Brien, and cost OSU several million since the courts ruled he wrongfully fired him.
To keep the NCAA at arms length OSU punished itself by making the team ineligible for the Big Ten tournament the following year. Big Deal.
At IU, Sampson was caught breaking the rules, the University was warned, and six months later they broke the same rule repeatedly (phone calls) then lied about it to the NCAA (a real no-no).
Their complience office was also afoul of NCAA rules, and I suspect that Brandt also wants to punish people there.
There is also some stuff that supposedly Illinois ratted 'em out on.
I think they are going to get hammered!
Bobby Knight might have been a horse's a$$ but this would not have happened on his watch.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
kcheeze15
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:39 am
IU's Jordan Crawford transfers to Xavier
This is a pretty good pick-up. We are going to be excessively deep at guard I think, but it can't hurt.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3508432
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3508432
-
madness31
- Posts: 2200
- Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:21 pm
- Contact:
Re: TSN's DeCourcy: Crawford a muskie
I hope your comparison of Cheeks to Lenny doesn't also include his turnovers. Lenny was great when he played within himself but made too many foolish decisions. A lot of talent, athleticism, and competitiveness but suspect decision making - including shot selection.
If Crawford is eligible and doesn't struggle to adapt to the Xavier game there is no reason we can't make it back to the elite 8 and possibly beyond. We still have Raymond to knock down the outside shot while CJ takes it to the hoop. Brown will likely do it all and the center spot should be fine too. The Seniors will be missed but just as we bounced back from the loss of seniors the year before we can do the same this year. We will have the size, depth and speed needed to have a great year as long as one of the incoming guards gets it done.
If Crawford is eligible and doesn't struggle to adapt to the Xavier game there is no reason we can't make it back to the elite 8 and possibly beyond. We still have Raymond to knock down the outside shot while CJ takes it to the hoop. Brown will likely do it all and the center spot should be fine too. The Seniors will be missed but just as we bounced back from the loss of seniors the year before we can do the same this year. We will have the size, depth and speed needed to have a great year as long as one of the incoming guards gets it done.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 948 guests
