Collegiate Discipline

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Masterofreality
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:38 pm
Contact:

Collegiate Discipline

Postby Masterofreality » Sat May 03, 2008 10:39 am

Couple of interesting disciplinary items from around the world of college basketball.

Tennessee Coach Bruce Pearl has dismissed Duke Crews and Ramar Smith from the basketball program. The dismissals were not from one specific incident, but from "problems over a period of time."

As Mr. Neutral said in another thread, Indiana Coach Tom Crean will not reinstate Armon Bassett or Jamarcus Ellis who were kicked off the team after last season by Dan Dakich.

Respect goes to those coaches who aren't afraid to drop guys who apparently don't want to do what they are supposed to do. Not only that, with the story out about Chris Lofton's cancer, my respect for Bruce Pearl is definitely enhanced. While he's still somewhat of a showhorse, to me, he's a fun showhorse that doesn't damage the game.

How different would Duke Crews' career be if he went to XU?

Maybe no different, but.......
PAY THE MAN!!!!
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Collegiate Discipline

Postby Mr. Neutral » Sat May 03, 2008 11:10 am

When I saw the subject heading, I had high hopes for something involving naughty cheerleaders and a stern college dean. And then MOR had to ruin it with actual news items.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26783
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Collegiate Discipline

Postby muskieman » Sat May 03, 2008 11:22 am

Masterofreality wrote:Couple of interesting disciplinary items from around the world of college basketball.

Tennessee Coach Bruce Pearl has dismissed Duke Crews and Ramar Smith from the basketball program. The dismissals were not from one specific incident, but from "problems over a period of time."

As Mr. Neutral said in another thread, Indiana Coach Tom Crean will not reinstate Armon Bassett or Jamarcus Ellis who were kicked off the team after last season by Dan Dakich.

Respect goes to those coaches who aren't afraid to drop guys who apparently don't want to do what they are supposed to do. Not only that, with the story out about Chris Lofton's cancer, my respect for Bruce Pearl is definitely enhanced. While he's still somewhat of a showhorse, to me, he's a fun showhorse that doesn't damage the game.

How different would Duke Crews' career be if he went to XU?

Maybe no different, but.......
Problems over a a period of time. I am glad that some coaches give kids a second and maybe third chance but then have the guts and knowledge to know when to dismiss a player. I got to talk to Pearl last year before and then after the X game and while I was not a fan before that his personality made me like him. While the game is important to him I liked the way he talked to his players as they would walk up to him to ask a question.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
MuskieCinci
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Collegiate Discipline

Postby MuskieCinci » Sat May 03, 2008 1:12 pm

Don't forget about Curtis Kelly and Doug Wiggins from UConn, who were "encouraged to leave", which makes it sound pretty shady to me.
Masterofreality
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Collegiate Discipline

Postby Masterofreality » Sat May 03, 2008 3:45 pm

Mr. Neutral wrote:When I saw the subject heading, I had high hopes for something involving naughty cheerleaders and a stern college dean. And then MOR had to ruin it with actual news items.
Must be a rainy day in Chi-Town, Moose.
PAY THE MAN!!!!
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Collegiate Discipline

Postby Mr. Neutral » Sat May 03, 2008 7:45 pm

Somewhat, but I managed to play 18 in the AM, and then go to Arlington Park to watch the Derby. Won minor $$$ on Big Brown.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 746 guests