Re: Win Saturday=tons of publicity (A Round Too Early MR. N)

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
AlabamaMuskie
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:42 am
Contact:

Re: Win Saturday=tons of publicity (A Round Too Early MR. N)

Postby AlabamaMuskie » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:52 pm

Mr. Neutral wrote:During the season, even if you're playing well and/or ranked, you're one of 300+ Div. I teams playing, and vying for fan interest and media coverage.

After Selection Sunday, you're one of 64/65 teams vying for fan interest and media coverage. I have to admit that in the last 5 days, I thought X kind of got lost in the media shuffle, and didn't get the coverage you would expect a #10/3 seed team. With all the coaches being interviewed all over the dial, I never heard Miller on ESPN, XM or other outlets.

Now, if we win tomorrow, we'll have at least 5 days to be only one of 16 teams that anyone's talking and/or writing about. That's the kind of coverage that gets you noticed, and carries over into following seasons.

That's why tomorrow's game is so big. Lose, and we're a highly-ranked, highly-seeded team that went down to a nice, but not great, team, and is forgotten as the tourney quickly moves on. Win, and we've beaten SEC and B10 teams, and assured that X is all over the media at least until next Thursday.

Let's go X!


I completely agreed with you when you posted this topic after our first game agaisnt UGA. I was sure we would get lots and lots of coverage during the break before the Sweet 16. Sadly, this was not the case. Now, after the coverage we are now getting, I can see that you were a round too early. With only 8 teams remaining - and us as one of the new 'cinderellas' - we should get even more media coverage tomorrow.

Now (and knock on wood) if we win tomorrow, we will be a national sensation. With each win it gets exponential from here on out.
The former AsuncionMuskie
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Win Saturday=tons of publicity (A Round Too Early MR. N)

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:14 pm

Well, we old farts tend to be early for everything-dinner, bed, etc.

I did think we were pretty much ignored this week-until last night. Fortunately, we had the best finish in the best game, and became pretty much "the" game of the night.

Finally.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26783
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Win Saturday=tons of publicity (A Round Too Early MR. N)

Postby muskieman » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:39 pm

Now put UCLA out of the tourney and they will only have four teams to talk about.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Gorilla '69
Posts: 394
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Win Saturday=tons of publicity (A Round Too Early MR. N)

Postby Gorilla '69 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:52 am

[quote="AlabamaMuskie



With only 8 teams remaining - and us as one of the new 'cinderellas' - we should get even more media coverage tomorrow.

[/quote]

I'm glad that Davidson won and continues as this years' cinderella (and not X). To me, being a cinderella means nobody expected you to go this far. By NOT being cinderella gives even more credibility.
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning"
soniqstylz
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Win Saturday=tons of publicity (A Round Too Early MR. N)

Postby soniqstylz » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:52 pm

AlabamaMuskie wrote:
Mr. Neutral wrote:During the season, even if you're playing well and/or ranked, you're one of 300+ Div. I teams playing, and vying for fan interest and media coverage.

After Selection Sunday, you're one of 64/65 teams vying for fan interest and media coverage. I have to admit that in the last 5 days, I thought X kind of got lost in the media shuffle, and didn't get the coverage you would expect a #10/3 seed team. With all the coaches being interviewed all over the dial, I never heard Miller on ESPN, XM or other outlets.

Now, if we win tomorrow, we'll have at least 5 days to be only one of 16 teams that anyone's talking and/or writing about. That's the kind of coverage that gets you noticed, and carries over into following seasons.

That's why tomorrow's game is so big. Lose, and we're a highly-ranked, highly-seeded team that went down to a nice, but not great, team, and is forgotten as the tourney quickly moves on. Win, and we've beaten SEC and B10 teams, and assured that X is all over the media at least until next Thursday.

Let's go X!


I completely agreed with you when you posted this topic after our first game agaisnt UGA. I was sure we would get lots and lots of coverage during the break before the Sweet 16. Sadly, this was not the case. Now, after the coverage we are now getting, I can see that you were a round too early. With only 8 teams remaining - and us as one of the new 'cinderellas' - we should get even more media coverage tomorrow.

Now (and knock on wood) if we win tomorrow, we will be a national sensation. With each win it gets exponential from here on out.
Miller was at least interviewd on the Mike Tirico show on ESPN radio, Tirico even replayed it the next hour.

But yeah, X isn't going to get the kind of interview requests that a Coach K, Boeheim, or Tom Izzo get, at least not for a couple of years.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 504 guests