Page 1 of 1
OT: Is the B10 still Div. I in football?
Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:56 pm
by Mr. Neutral
It's amazing that B10 teams routinely get waxed by quality non-conference opponents. OSU looks like a HS team compared to USC. It's like the bowl season came early, which is never good news for B10 teams.
Re: OT: Is the B10 still Div. I in football?
Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:39 pm
by confusedbulldog
It's what happens when you routinely schedule cupcake teams for a non-con schedule. There's getting ready with a starter game, then there's facing off against two buy teams who won't be any help for a team that's much stronger and much faster in game 3. (or later in the bowl game for that matter)
Who really expected OSU to win tonight?
Re: OT: Is the B10 still Div. I in football?
Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:48 pm
by rickf
Barely BCS
Re: OT: Is the B10 still Div. I in football?
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:59 am
by wkrq59
Ohio State was hit by a buzz saw. They had no clue a defense that good was waiting for them. Unless they self destruct, USC will probably play Oklahoma for the national title. Unless Florida or some other SEC team emerges from the weeds..Don't think it'll be Georgia.
Answering your rhetorical question, Gary, "NO."
Re: OT: Is the B10 still Div. I in football?
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:05 am
by AlabamaMuskie
I know that I am biased - I am doctoral student at UA - but the SEC is sick this year. Actually the conference is in the third year of being sick. While acknowledging that we always harp on the Big East's insistence that they beat up on each other and that is why they can't make it to the championship game in basketball, this is in fact the strength of the SEC.
For the last three years it has been by far the best conference - from top to bottom. The teams have beaten each other up and then crushed in the title game.
This is both good and bad for the conference. Three conference losses for the top team is not impossible as LSU's two losses showed last year. This is problematic because 2 losses probably won't get a team to the title game again. Or even one loss for that matter. But there is a good side to this. IF an SEC gets to the title game this year, it will triumph.
This is where basketball (Big East) and football (SEC) differ. There is no tourney so getting 'beat up' in a good conference is an asset.
By the way, I actually think the Big East sucks so I guess my point is invalid.
Re: OT: Is the B10 still Div. I in football?
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:54 am
by Wisexuowl
Bama, I couldn't quite figure out what you are saying.
You say the SEC is sick this year, and has been for the last three years. Then you say that for the past three years the SEC has been "by far" the best conference.
The very best the Big Whatever could muster against the SEC in the last two title games was pitiful.
Ditto last Saturday night against what IMO the best team in the country this year.
I think the biggest diff between the Big Whatever and the SEC, the PAC, and the Big 12 is speed ... and it's just not at WR's. osu lacks overall team speed, especially on defense.
Now look out for Illinois and Michigan in the next few years ... both coaches know speed.
Re: OT: Is the B10 still Div. I in football?
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:30 pm
by Mr. Neutral
<<Now look out for Illinois and Michigan in the next few years ... both coaches know speed.>>
Ron Zook (Illinois) may know speed, and he's definitely brought better athletes into the Illinois football program, but nobody considers him a top-notch X's and O's guy. Excect Illinois to improve (they already have), but fall short of expectations.
Re: OT: Is the B10 still Div. I in football?
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:08 pm
by AlabamaMuskie
Wise, in the non-sensical logic of today's slang 'sick' means 'incredibly awesome' or something like ' > awesome '. If that makes sense... Sort of like 'bad' meant 'good' in the 80s thriller era.
My point was the SEC is the best conference because they have the best group of teams at the top (I think 5 teams are in the AP top 10) and the best -of-the-worst at the bottom. IMO