Apparently, Miller and Calipari are close

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Apparently, Miller and Calipari are close

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:46 am

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=308677

As we reported last month, the (Memphis) Tigers will open up the Puerto Rico Tip-Off with Chattanooga; the irony being that Memphis will travel all the way down to San Juan to play an intra-state opponent. Obviously, Memphis is expected to win that game — I don’t think the Tigers would have agreed to play in Puerto Rico unless they were guaranteed an “easier” first-round opponent, by the way — which would set up a semifinal with either USC or Seton Hall.

If it’s USC, it would be a match-up between arguably the top two freshmen in the country in Tyreke Evans and DeMar DeRozan. It would also be a rematch of last year’s Jimmy V Classic, which was one of the most painful games to watch between two good teams that I’ve ever seen.

The other side of the bracket also offers interesting possibilities in a championship game or consolation game matchup. With Virginia Tech, you’ve got Seth Greenberg, an old Calipari nemesis when he coached at South Florida (in the old C-USA). With Missouri, you’ve got Mike Anderson, the former UAB coach, and freshman Laurence Bowers, who was the second banana on Elliot Williams’ team last season at St. George’s. And finally, you’ve got Xavier, who is coached by the man Calipari calls his “cousin,” Sean Miller.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Apparently, Miller and Calipari are close

Postby muskieman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:52 am

Many coaches are friends. Skip was a very good friend of Calipari and had him speak at X. Of course, there are few people that didn't call Skip a friend.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
jhrelax
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: Apparently, Miller and Calipari are close

Postby jhrelax » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14 am

I believe their relationship dates back to when Calipari recruited Miller to Pitt...
muskienick
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Apparently, Miller and Calipari are close

Postby muskienick » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:20 am

mm,

What coach didn't like Skip? Unless it was some complete whacko (like the end-of-his-career version of John Chaney), I can't imagine who that would be.

If you are speaking about a certain poster, then I would differ from your portrayal on that score as well. The person to whom you might be referring occasionally questioned aspects of Skip's coaching but I can't remember any instance when he questioned Skip's integrity or likely qualities as a father or potential friend.
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!
MJF4
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:53 am
Contact:

Re: Apparently, Miller and Calipari are close

Postby MJF4 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:59 am

"Of course, there are few people that didn't call Skip a friend."

I am pretty sure this means that basically everybody liked Skip. I would concur.
muskienick
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Apparently, Miller and Calipari are close

Postby muskienick » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:09 am

My error!

I read that line incorrectly. I thought it said something to the effect: "There were a few people who didn't like Skip." That is not what it said and I apologize for not reading it more closely!
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 752 guests