Page 1 of 3
ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:23 pm
by broadripple
Just another list, but this one is kinda interesting. They're ranking the most prestigious basketball programs since 1984-85. Actually they've ranked every team up to #41 so far. I believe they only have the small blurbs starting from 50 down to 1. No XU yet, but from the scoring system they have I would presume Xavier will be ranked pretty high.
Here's the article on #'s 50-41
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3481014
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:06 pm
by Mr. Neutral
<<The College of Charleston has only one NCAA tournament win ever (against fifth-seeded Maryland in 1997)>>>
I have to admit that this surprises me. I would have thought that CoC had more than 1 NCAA win.
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:12 pm
by tacitus
T-168. Dayton, Atlantic 10
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:08 pm
by Wisexuowl
This is gonna be fun, and will make for hundreds of comments.
Having said that, and not knowing what slot we'll fall into, I will say ahead of time that I think there is too many points for a Championship, a runner up, and a Final Four.
I think a 17 point differntial between winning it all and losing the finals of the Elite Eight is too wide.
Too few deductions for being banned, and no deductions for violation take away.
But like I said .. it will make for fun!
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:59 pm
by MillerTime
Wisexuowl wrote:
I think a 17 point differntial between winning it all and losing the finals of the Elite Eight is too wide.
I disagree. When I think prestigeous, I don't think teams that lose in the Elite 8. I think teams that win it all or F4 several times.
This is really something ESPN has put together to fill the void of sports in mid-July, so take it for what its worth. If X is around the 25, that's about right, but no scale can measure something so subjective...
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:59 pm
by XLFan
The points for having the best record in the MCC during the 80's and early 90's will be huge. Also, having all those twenty winn seasons is nice. I'm thinking Xavier will probably land 20-25. Final guess #22.
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:07 pm
by MuskieCinci
I had some free time and a media guide, so I attempted to tally up what score Xavier would receive. I ended up with 167, which puts us well ahead of # 41 LSU which had 93 points. 167 should be within at least a couple points of the score they come up with, so I think we should be safely inside the top 25 with a score like that.
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:34 pm
by CarlosTheJackal
MuskieCinci wrote:I had some free time and a media guide, so I attempted to tally up what score Xavier would receive. I ended up with 167, which puts us well ahead of # 41 LSU which had 93 points. 167 should be within at least a couple points of the score they come up with, so I think we should be safely inside the top 25 with a score like that.
Waay too much free time..at work, perhaps MuskieCinci!

But I can never come down on someone who does the research. They may be worse than damnable lies, but I like em a lot. MH is my favorite all time poster for that reason -- though the scheduling has solved the endless RPI debates.
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:41 pm
by muskieman
CarlosTheJackal wrote:MuskieCinci wrote:I had some free time and a media guide, so I attempted to tally up what score Xavier would receive. I ended up with 167, which puts us well ahead of # 41 LSU which had 93 points. 167 should be within at least a couple points of the score they come up with, so I think we should be safely inside the top 25 with a score like that.
Waay too much free time..at work, perhaps MuskieCinci!

But I can never come down on someone who does the research. They may be worse than damnable lies, but I like em a lot. MH is my favorite all time poster for that reason -- though the scheduling has solved the endless
RPI debates.
Oh great just as we all started forgetting that little war.
Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:21 pm
by Wisexuowl
I think Muskie Cincy is going to be on target, maybe a couple of notches higher.
This is heady stuff ... to be listed by ESPN as one of the 25th most prestegious programs in the country for the last 23 years is awesome.
Sean and staff will turn this into a monster national recruiting pitch mailer!
And MuskieCincy, many thanks for doing the research. I though about it today, but then took a nap instead.