Page 1 of 3

Groce to get Ohio University head job

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:30 am
by Mr. Neutral
Looks like the rumor mill was a little off on this one, and the Ohio U. message board did, in fact, have the ultimate pick as one of the possible choices.


http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8284 ... -assistant

http://bucknuts.com/news/story.php?arti ... size=large

Re: Groce to get Ohio University head job

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:37 pm
by Wisexuowl
That's why they call 'em rumor mills.
I have a big osu fan who kept telling me for the last two years that JG was just waiting for a "Big Time" job. Didn't think UK, Minnesota, USC, NC State, Arizona State, Indiana, LSU, etc etc were "big enough."
I told him this morning that JG has now elevated OU to the ranks of the "big time."
I wonder if he's taking his magic markers and poster boards with him.
Question: Who are former Xavier assistants now head coaches in D-1 besides, if any, ... Mark, Gino, Groce, Sean, Louis ....

Re: Groce to get Ohio University head job

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:38 pm
by Masterofreality
Here's a question:

Will Groce be able to bring the whiteboards with him to call the plays off of, or are they property of the Ohio State athletic department? I'm not sure if OU can afford boards or markers.

Now that Beaknose has lost his former "offensive coordinator" Groce, his former "defensive coordinator" Miller, who will he turn to? He'll actually have to recruit himself too. Maybe he'll decide to actually get away from the one and dones since he's going to lose at least one scholly next year after BJ Mullens leaves.

If anyone doesn't think that good assistants make a difference in a program, look at what happened with Skip after Dino left to go to Army.

This will be Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry Interrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrresting.

Re: Groce to get Ohio University head job

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:43 pm
by Mr. Neutral
<<That's why they call 'em rumor mills. >>

Of course, as you know, it's not uncommon for writers/reporters to kick around an idea amongst themselves, without any input from the actual decisionmakers, and then call it a "rumor" even though it's a self-generated "rumor".

Re: Groce to get Ohio University head job

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:48 pm
by Mr. Neutral
MOR, Billy tells me I somehow got included in a shot you decided to take at him over on the other board. What did I do to deserve this harsh treatment, kind sir?

Re: Groce to get Ohio University head job

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:11 am
by muskieman
Rumor mill is why I don't respond at times. Good luck to John. It is about time he gets his chance. John and Thad were so close (jointed at the hip as I would call it) I wonder what this separation will do to both? Who becomes Thad's right hand man and who will join John at OU?

Nice to be able to watch what happens in another program instead of watching X go through it.

Re: Groce to get Ohio University head job

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:01 pm
by Masterofreality
Mr. Neutral wrote:MOR, Billy tells me I somehow got included in a shot you decided to take at him over on the other board. What did I do to deserve this harsh treatment, kind sir?
Nothing. Sorry, Moose.

You were just caught in the collateral damage of the ongoing pissing contest between me and he who shall not be named. Literary Molotov Cocktails were being slung around and you, being a Chicago guy, were somewhat inadvertantly included. He actually started the latest round by flying a mortar shell out of nowhere on one of my facetious self-congratulatory posts. I don't care if he thinks I'm an a**. Just by the tone of his posts, I know he is- and a bad pot stirrer too.

I apologize to you, but not to that *****. He obviously is too thick mentally to understand sarcastic wit and tongue in cheek humor.

Re: Groce to get Ohio University head job

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:53 pm
by Mr. Neutral
You do with this what you will, MOR, but I've spent time with both you and your board adversary (much more with you, of course) and as far as I'm concerned, you're both good guys that I'll gladly spend more time with in the future.

I know as well as anyone that online pissing matches often arise due to someone's post being misunderstood, or not reading exactly how the writer meant it, etc. We tend to take these back-and-forth postings too seriously; Lord knows I've done it, and I've had it done with things I've posted.

Re: Groce to get Ohio University head job

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:15 pm
by muskieman
I thought the new board was made to stop the pissing matches? Who'da thunk!

Re: Groce to get Ohio University head job

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:27 pm
by Mr. Neutral
<<"I thought the new board was made to stop the pissing matches? Who'da thunk!>>

As Pete Townshend wrote so wisely years ago, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".