Summer league

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
jct1941
Posts: 2117
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:16 am
Contact:

Summer league

Postby jct1941 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:56 pm

I just returned from the Sunday league games. Jason Love held his own against Gates, and even blocked one of his shots. Dante played just OK. Paul McMillan had 39 for their team (Love and Jackson team). I certainly hope our
three guards are as good as we all hoped because Cashmere Wright and Dion Dixon are exceptional. Dixon had 27, and Wright must have had at least in the 20's. Wright is a blur. Of course, our freshman have not played yet so no comparsion can be made. Gates seems sooooo lazy, but his talent is certainly above average. I hope our freshman guards play in the summer league so we all can get a feel for their game. Of course, I remember thinking about Alvin Mitchell last year when he went off for 29 in his first game, but never came close to that again. I know the summer league is not a good guage when compared to Div 1 basketball, but it at least gives us an idea of their skill level.
Getreal
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:36 am
Contact:

Re: Summer league

Postby Getreal » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:58 pm

I really dont think it even gives a look at their skill level. kjackson used to light it up in that league. london Warren for UD is actually looking like a shooter. I don't take anything from this league other than a good workout for them.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Summer league

Postby muskieman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:30 am

I don't take anything from this league except to see the guy so you know who he is later, how strong and quick the guy might be, and if he plays team ball. They all (well, most) have game and if they make this for themselves an AAU game or a special tourney game they normally play, you see black holes (guys that shoot too much) and guys lazy of the D.
It would be nice if they were allowed to play as a team (X, UC, UD) because then you might to see them play and how they might complement each other.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Summer league

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:44 am

Good points, Get and mm. I seem to recall two successive summers where it looked like Keith Jackson was going to be our next 20-pt. scorer based on his summer league performance, and then reality set in during the regular season.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Summer league

Postby muskieman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:24 am

we must also remember opportunity. Casmere will get a big chance to start because uc is in desperate need of a pg. X has depth at some positions and new guys will be given a chance but the known quality of certain players and their familiarity with Sean's system gives them an advantage.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Pete Delkus
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Summer league

Postby Pete Delkus » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:46 am

Yes, SL games are no indication of what a player is going to look like in an offensive scheme or more importantly against a well-coached defense.

In saying that, Troy Tabler was hitting everything (Something his Dad did with men on base). He lit up Jamual Warren for 25 including a few that were from the tips at Maketewah Country Club.
jct1941
Posts: 2117
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:16 am
Contact:

Re: Summer league

Postby jct1941 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:32 pm

When I said you can get an idea of their skills I meant speed, quickness, jumping ability, ball handling, shooting, and scoring (not necessarily being a great shooter). For instance, Wright has great speed and has great control of that speed. He also has great hops (he dunked tipped in a missed shot) and dunked with ease. I know that may or may not transfer to D1 games, but the SKILL is there. The bio on Lyons is that he has jet quick speed and incredible leaping ability. That sounds like what I saw in Wright's game. I think our guards will stack up against anyone in D1. I would just like to see how they play against UC, UD, Maimi players.
BigCat
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Summer league

Postby BigCat » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:18 pm

muskieman wrote:we must also remember opportunity. Casmere will get a big chance to start because uc is in desperate need of a pg. X has depth at some positions and new guys will be given a chance but the known quality of certain players and their familiarity with Sean's system gives them an advantage.
MM,

UC is in desparate need for many positions...we are still climbing out of the grave.

Hope to see you at the games sometime this summer.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Summer league

Postby muskieman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:35 pm

BC I think you guys are closer than you think. You need depth in the big east but you have some very talented players. While you may not have the premier player signing every few months as the past your program made some good strides last year. There is a bearcat fan where I go to church that sounds like you and you might be right but I hate to be saying too many good things about your team(just kidding),

As for summer league I hope to get there sometime but medical reasons have stopped me so far, and on top of that I am a grandfather so that takes out some of the time.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Masterofreality
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Summer league

Postby Masterofreality » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Is Paul McMillian playing anywhere other than the Cincy Summer League?

Hell, that guy has been out of Loyola Chicago now for about 4 years, is about 28 and has kids. I've seen him play in the Summer League and he is the definition of "black hole". The fact that he had 39 is not much of an accomplishment since he probably took four times as many shots as any other player- in the entire league!
PAY THE MAN!!!!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 775 guests