Muskies-Duke

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Nocalmuskie
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:02 pm
Contact:

Muskies-Duke

Postby Nocalmuskie » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:50 pm

Now confirmed on FOX SPORTS blog as a top nonconference matchup.

Still no mention from Dow or B Snow.

Jeff Goodman says ...



Here are a few more big-time non-conference matchups that didn’t make my cut of the Top 20:

- Duke vs. Xavier at the Meadowlands – Dec. 20
- Miami vs. Ohio State – Dec. 2
- Louisville vs. UNLV – Dec. 31
- Tennessee at Kansas – Dec. 20
- Purdue vs. Davidson in the Wooden Classic on Dec. 20
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Muskies-Duke

Postby muskieman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:11 pm

Sean announced it at the steak fry which was a few days before FOX. Dustin would have had it but he was not there.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-band '01
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Muskies-Duke

Postby X-band '01 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:27 pm

I honestly don't get what the big deal is about playing a team who has won only 1 NCAA Tournament game in the past 2 seasons.
My name is X-band '01 and I approved this message.

"Every time Dayton loses, an angel gets his wings." - PMThor
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Muskies-Duke

Postby Mr. Neutral » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:38 pm

Band, Duke's Duke under any circumstances.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
X-band '01
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Muskies-Duke

Postby X-band '01 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:30 pm

And they're on TV more than Leave It To Beaver reruns. I say it tongue in cheek simply because it's a nice addition to the schedule, nothing more.
My name is X-band '01 and I approved this message.

"Every time Dayton loses, an angel gets his wings." - PMThor
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Muskies-Duke

Postby Mr. Neutral » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:38 pm

I agree that Duke's not where they were a few years ago, but they'll be, by a long stretch, the biggest name on our non-conf. schedule, and the one game of ours that even casual college b-ball fans will be aware of.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
AlamoCity
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Muskies-Duke

Postby AlamoCity » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:00 am

X-band for those who saw the X-Duke game in Atlanta it is huge. A payback win is needed sends a message for the future when we face them again down the stretch. "Stay out of my yard"

We probably should have met them this past year and sure will meet them again.

I don't want to hear Dickie V rambling on TV that Xavier is still 0-for against the great Mike K and the Bluedevils.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Muskies-Duke

Postby muskieman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:34 am

Whether Duke will be the biggest team on our schedule might be challenged by Memphis if X plays them in PR. Certainly Duke has the rep and history but it seems the luster is off the rose. Maybe X will be able to kill that rose and send it to the bottom.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Muskies-Duke

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:40 am

Good point, mm, but, as of now, Duke is the biggest name non-conf. opponent that we're definitely going to play.

And while Memphis was in the national final this year, I'm guessing our game with Duke will still get more national media coverage.

Coach K's heading up the U.S. Olympic team, not Calipari.
Jay Bilas is all over the airwaves, not any former Memphis player.
The ACC will always get more coverage than the CUSA.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Muskies-Duke

Postby muskieman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:14 am

and every poll out till maybe Dec or Jan will have Memphis at the top of nearly at the top.

I think Duke is a great game and will be even better with a W. History and Coach K bring a nice luster to the team but recent past history doesn't inspire many these days.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 738 guests