Page 1 of 1
Why do people on this board keep referring to.....
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:07 pm
by Biggernlife
Next years recruiting class as weak???? I think we are set up to have a very good team next year! Quite similar to this years, however maybe not quite as good. Canter will be replaced by our new two year guy, Evan Boudreaux, from the Ivy League. I'll be very surprised if he isn't better than Canter. And, I'm a Canter fan and love the success he has been having. Scruggs and Q running the point again. Naji and Gates doing their thing along with big strong Junior Tyrique Jones. Boudreaux will be a big rebounding help and should be a good to very good scoring option. Now if Big Walters can spell a few minutes for Tyrique and why can't he. He should develop quickly as he is strong and getting better and not afraid to work. If one other freshman turns out to be at least serviceable we could be well set up for success. Our three frosh from this year will be better no doubt. So I see a lot of positives for next year.
But until next year lets quit talking about "our poor incoming class" and enjoy the team we have and get behind the exciting play we have been treated to YTD !!!! Additionally trust our coaches that they'll continue to move us forward as a program. GOOOO Muskies.
Re: Why do people on this board keep referring to.....
Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:04 am
by ChitownSteve
Coincidentally, just returned from watching a HS game at the Jack Tosh Holiday Tournament at York HS. Tournament records from 1974, both Team and Individual, are contained in the Program. Was reading those records and observed the following:
Individual Records:
Points per Game Tournament Career - Evan Boudreaux - Lake Forest - 25.5
Rebounds per Game Tournament Career - Evan Boudreaux - Lake Forest - 12.1
Admittedly, the York Tournament is not one of Chicagoland's elite Christmas Tournaments. However, every year the Tournament does have a respectable 32 team field. Boudreaux's Lake Forest squad won the event in both 2013 and 2014.
Re: Why do people on this board keep referring to.....
Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:33 am
by lionelchalmers0
I made a post similar to this on one of the recruiting posts. With gates as a senior leader and Q-tyrique-naji-Scruggs all coming in with lots of experience I think the team overall will be okay.
Our depth is going to take a massive hit. And it's always difficult to move on from giants in the program like Tre and JP. you're talking probably the best duo in program history. Plus losing Sean and kanter who are two battle tested, big bodied, senior big men.
And by all accounts bordreaux is really the only guy in next years class that is going to be able to help right away. So while I'm not doom and gloom I do think it's a weak class and we'll see a fairly big drop off next year
Re: Why do people on this board keep referring to.....
Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:45 am
by Shadow
Simply too damn lazy to do their own research.
Re: Why do people on this board keep referring to.....
Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:29 am
by kyzrex
Next years recruiting class is a different subject than next years team.
The recruiting class is 3 HS players that are all ranked 150 or lower, and a grad transfer that was all Ivy. That compares to this year’s recruiting class that was 3 HS players all ranked in the top 100 and a grad transfer that was all Horizon. So, while I wouldn’t say that the 2018-2019 class of recruits is “weak”, it’s nard to argue that it is as good as the 2017-2018 class. BUT the 2018-2019 class is NOT finished yet, so the final comparison will have to wait.
As far as this year’s team compared to next years team....I think that next years team willl be fine, however I don’t see it as being as deep or as talented as this year’s team because it’s going to be very hard to replace this year’s seniors immediately. I have hopes that Naji will become a star, like Blueitt, but I think JP is going to be difficult to replace and don’t see them having the depth at center like this year’s team does.
Re: Why do people on this board keep referring to.....
Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:09 am
by skyhops
Next years class is currently considered our weakest in a long time, which is why many are concerned including the coaching staff. Why are recruiting classes ranked and followed so closely if it doesn't matter? Mack has shown recently that he can grab transfers, but we have also lost our share of recruits. We are going to have a difficult time scoring and shooting next year and as much as I like Gates, what makes you believe he is suddenly going to turn aggressive and become a 15-17 point scoring? I do believe that Naji will make a big leap next year, but Goodin and Scruggs suddenly become decent shooters is not expected and freshmen are freshmen. Replacing four great seniors will be tough with the upcoming class.
Re: Why do people on this board keep referring to.....
Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:09 pm
by olsingledigit
skyhops wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:09 am
Next years class is currently considered our weakest in a long time, which is why many are concerned including the coaching staff. Why are recruiting classes ranked and followed so closely if it doesn't matter? Mack has shown recently that he can grab transfers, but we have also lost our share of recruits. We are going to have a difficult time scoring and shooting next year and as much as I like Gates, what makes you believe he is suddenly going to turn aggressive and become a 15-17 point scoring? I do believe that Naji will make a big leap next year, but Goodin and Scruggs suddenly become decent shooters is not expected and freshmen are freshmen. Replacing four great seniors will be tough with the upcoming class.
Don’t disagree with most of your comments but what is thevsource for your comment. That the coaches are concerned? Maybe they should be but what is your source?
Re: Why do people on this board keep referring to.....
Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:32 am
by skyhops
I can’t name my sources, however they are the same sources that have been correct on many matters. I have trust Mack will add additional pieces
Re: Why do people on this board keep referring to.....
Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:59 am
by Biggernlife
Yes, I have heard much lately about unnamed sources. The media uses those same sources I believe. I wonder if the FBI and DOJ will look into those unnamed sources talking about how the coaches feel about the recruits they have garnered for next year? ,,,,,just saying!!! -- Bigger
Re: Why do people on this board keep referring to.....
Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:51 pm
by mumuskie87
"Replacing four great seniors will be tough with the upcoming class."
Tend to agree but don't think the freshman coming in have to 'replace' the seniors.
The current underclassman need to step and improve.
Gates has improved his scoring avg each year so far. May not be a 15-17 point scorer but would expect at least a 12-13 range and 7-8 boards a game. If he can develop a go to move to the basket, he could be a potential All BE player.
Naji will be The Guy next year, IMO. He can shoot the 3 and drive to the basket.
Somehow, Scruggs and Q have to improve their outside shooting.
Basketball will continue to be stud inside.
Mack and coaching staff need to find another outside shooter via the grad transfer route for next year and hopefully Hardin will hang in there and be more of a contributor.
All said, this year's team hopefully will get to the F4 and maybe more.
If that happens, I'm quite fine if next year the team takes a little step backward.