Page 1 of 1
Starting 5 Predictions
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:21 pm
by longliveskip
let's assume Tre is healthy for game 1 (not the exhibition game)
who starts?
I'll go with this if Tre is healthy:
Q
JP
Tre
Gates
O'Mara
Tre not ready to go, then maybe this:
Q
Scruggs
JP
Gates
O'Mara
Thoughts?
Re: Starting 5 Predictions
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:56 pm
by skyhops
I agree with both lineups except possibly Naji for Scruggs without Tre.
Re: Starting 5 Predictions
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:34 pm
by XavierRunningMan
Hoping SOM will carry his post season play and confidence into this season. I expect Jones to be taking over a starting roll pretty early into the season. Keep the big man out of foul trouble and let the kid destroy the rim!
There will definitely be ups and downs this season (many moving pieces and learning curves), but I'm very excited for March already

Re: Starting 5 Predictions
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:16 pm
by lionelchalmers0
longliveskip wrote: ↑Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:21 pm
let's assume Tre is healthy for game 1 (not the exhibition game)
who starts?
I'll go with this if Tre is healthy:
Q
JP
Tre
Gates
O'Mara
Tre not ready to go, then maybe this:
Q
Scruggs
JP
Gates
O'Mara
Thoughts?
Agree except I'd rather see basketball Jones at the 5. I think he and Q are going to have absolute monster years. I love Jones' energy to start the game. Also think that mentally he'd be better off starting and Sean being a grizzled senior should be okay coming off the bench.
I think our big man depth is going to be a huge asset with Sean, Jones, Kanter, and then probably Gates or Naji being able to slide in and play the 4 as well.
Re: Starting 5 Predictions
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:44 pm
by rickf
What is going to be Kanter"s role ? I see him getting a lot of playing time.
Re: Starting 5 Predictions
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:48 pm
by Anti-Homer
longliveskip wrote: ↑Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:21 pm
let's assume Tre is healthy for game 1 (not the exhibition game)
who starts?
I'll go with this if Tre is healthy:
Q
JP
Tre
Gates
O'Mara
Tre not ready to go, then maybe this:
Q
Scruggs
JP
Gates
O'Mara
Thoughts?
I think the first lineup posted will be the starting 5, but I also think Scruggs will log the 6th most minutes on the team. JP & Tre are very skilled offensive players, but both are average ball handlers at best. The likes of UC, Nova, and other very good, aggressive, defensive teams will pressure X with only one true ball handler on the court, often necessitating X to have Scruggs & Goodin on the court at the same time.
God help us if either Goodin or Scruggs get injured because the other will have to play 38 minutes a game. This team is very talented, but the lack of depth makes this team very vulnerable to injuries. Thus the nightmarish scenario of losing out on all our primary targets playing out for the Class of 18' is certainly keeping the coaches up at night, barring a boatload of unexpected luck.
Re: Starting 5 Predictions
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:25 pm
by Jesseandrippers
rickf wrote: ↑Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:44 pm
What is going to be Kanter"s role ? I see him getting a lot of playing time.
Kanter needs to be starting or the 6th man who gets a lot of ticks
Re: Starting 5 Predictions
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:16 am
by Xavier09
It is important to remember that O'Mara can really only be on the court when X is in a zone defense or when going against a traditional center. Not many teams have a traditional center.
The reason X went on their run is because of the switch to a 2-3 zone allowing O'Mara not to be exposed defensively. He is a heck of a player, however when X needs to play man, I don't think he sees nearly as much time. The Villanova and Marquettes of the world showed last year how a zone will get destroyed, so I expect with a more versatile line-up, Xavier plays much more man this year and O'Mara is more of a rotation guy based on the defense.