Page 1 of 2

Pat Kelsey

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:52 pm
by brockman231
I spoke to a family friend of Pat's. He said Kelsey thought he was going to get the Dayton job and that is why dropped UMass.

Re: Pat Kelsey

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:10 pm
by oreobob
That set him back 5 years.

Re: Pat Kelsey

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:25 pm
by X-Expert
Who knows what the discussions were with Kelsey at Dayton but he handled it badly. So he said " "But after further reflection, I have decided to remain at Winthrop. I realized that at this point in my career Winthrop and Rock Hill is the best place for my family and me." So did he say that when he figured he was going to Dayton as this was said the day he changed his mind at UMass. I hope X is never in the position and if so, does not go after Kelsey.

Re: Pat Kelsey

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:14 pm
by skyhops
Anthony Grant is a UD alum and has some head coach experience so I'm surprised Kelsey would think he had the job over Grant. Will be interesting what he does with Sam Miller.

Re: Pat Kelsey

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:53 pm
by Shadow
skyhops wrote:Anthony Grant is a UD alum and has some head coach experience so I'm surprised Kelsey would think he had the job over Grant. Will be interesting what he does with Sam Miller.
Dayton Flyers’ Sam Miller suspended for semester, won’t play this fall.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/d ... L4zqAWkHP/
Interesting video.

Re: Pat Kelsey

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:32 pm
by skyhops
Thanks Shadow, I just read that today. That is the toughest Miller has ever looked!

Re: Pat Kelsey

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:18 pm
by Theology73
brockman231 wrote:I spoke to a family friend of Pat's. He said Kelsey thought he was going to get the Dayton job and that is why dropped UMass.
When I spoke to his dad, UD was not in the conversation. Mike told me he dropped UMass because he got a bad feeling about it and he was really close to his team and support system at Winthrop.

Re: Pat Kelsey

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:22 pm
by Theology73
oreobob wrote:That set him back 5 years.
I disagree. Good coaches are in demand every year. If he continues the success he's had at Winthrop, he'll continue to get offers every year.

Re: Pat Kelsey

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:37 pm
by bubba senior
Go Pat....Go Winthrop!!

Re: Pat Kelsey

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:23 pm
by X-Expert
Theology73 wrote:
brockman231 wrote:I spoke to a family friend of Pat's. He said Kelsey thought he was going to get the Dayton job and that is why dropped UMass.
When I spoke to his dad, UD was not in the conversation. Mike told me he dropped UMass because he got a bad feeling about it and he was really close to his team and support system at Winthrop.
That doesn't make sense. If he was close to his team and support system, why interview and then accept in the first place, only to change your mind -a day after accepting. I don't know the true story (like everyone else on the board) but if you are truly that close, I don't see you actually accepting. I can see you interviewing to test the waters but to say yes? I would definitely proceed with caution if I were an AD looking for a coach