Thanks for the friendship!

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
commish118
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:48 pm
Contact:

Thanks for the friendship!

Postby commish118 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:27 pm

I want to thank most of you on the board for great friendship in our support of our passion: Xavier! I have not lost my passion for Xavier or this program. And I still have my season tickets, and will have until I retire and move to a beach, hopefully in the next 6 years or so. That should put me at the 40 year mark as a season ticket holder. But I have lost my passion for the board. I should say, I have lost passion for all boards, and sports talk in general.

This season took a toll on all of us, which made the run over the last month so special. I am still beaming with pride!!! But all season, especially during the struggles, while most of us continued our unwavering support, some fans turned on the team, the coach, the players, just about everything. And even in the glory of the run, there are still some who are fixated on the negative in the posts over the last few days. I just think it is indicative of the state sports: a sense of self righteousness and entitlement by many fans. Why should it be different on here?

I am just tiered of the negative, and tired of the criticism. I am so proud of this team and this program, and even my UC friends know not to try to attack that. Unfortunately, some of our Xavier fans here do it all the time. So I am going to retire from the board and just watch and enjoy my passion with my friends, and avoid those who wish to diminish it. Maybe I will change my mind, or stop back, but I don't plan on it.

Thank You to most members!!! And Thank You to the moderators!!!

Go MUSKIES!!!!!!!!
“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” Socrates
titansbaseball01
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Thanks for the friendship!

Postby titansbaseball01 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:48 pm

Commish you will be missed on this board. I understand your reasoning, but am sad to see you go! You were always a voice of optimism, calm, and reason. I would like to think I am not one of those who turned on the team, coaches, etc. at any point, but there have definitely been times where i overreacted to a loss or play, and it seemed you always had a good post to put everything in perspective.

Go Muskies
kyzrex
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:35 am
Contact:

Re: Thanks for the friendship!

Postby kyzrex » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:03 pm

I generally get off all the boards about a week after the season is over and just check in from time to time when I hear something. I'll get back on prior to the season starting, but I just feel that I need a break during the summer months.

Commissh, don't say goodbye. Just say, I'll see ya when I see ya. Best of luck to you!
#WHYNOTX?
Anti-Homer
Posts: 7016
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Thanks for the friendship!

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Commish,

First of all, I take offense when you start calling out guys like Edgecliff, Longliveship, XLucidity, XUScoop, Titansbaseball, Mman, and others who have posted negative posts. Believe you me, their inboxes were filled with “pm.s” from yours truly when I’d read anything that wasn’t unconditional positivity.


I randomly pulled some posts from one of my so called friends on this board, and this is a small sample of the negativity spewed:

No votes until Tre is back, and shows them he is healthy. With what we showed in the last three games, we need to proved we can win again in the next three.

Goodin is a great athlete with a below average skill set for basketball. I related in a previous post a Xavier inside said Goodin is a 9 on a scale of 1-10 as far as his athletic ability, but a 2 as far as his basketball skills. So a kid with very very low basketball skills won Kentucky Mr. Basketb...

Goodin is completely overmatched at this level of basketball. I had heard his skill level was nowhere near his athletic ability earlier in the season, now it is showing.

Worst officiating crew in the Big East. Theye need to be fired! :note: negativity is negativity, no matter whom it is targeted no?

Gates is just not in the game, offensivrly and especially defensively

Get out of the da## 1-3-1!!! Does nothing but give them wide open 3s!

I was too disheartened to look at any more of your posts. If not for the significant financial investment Shadow and MMan made in me to be the calming force on this board, I’d stay away for a few days. Commish, I’m so angry at YOUR negative posts, if I saw you in a bar, I’d walk briskly towards you, and leave without saying “Have a Good Evening.” Mods, I’m sorry for fanning the flames, but sometimes enough is enough!
commish118
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Thanks for the friendship!

Postby commish118 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Go back and look again. Several of those posts aren't mine. Neither of the Goodin quotes were mine. And I did not call anyone out by name, you just did. But feel free to pull as many as you like and revisit the here.


Thank KY and Titans! I will miss you guys. After the last post, I won'the be back.

I repeat: thanks again for all the friendships and great discussions guys.

Good Bye Friends!
xu koop scoop
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Thanks for the friendship!

Postby xu koop scoop » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:48 pm

Thanks for being the Commish and letting me & others voice their opinion on this site. It was mentioned my posts can be negative but the only
negative post I remember involved South Carolina - and let's not go there again. For us older posters times are awesome in Big East . We followed the 58 NIT (that was 2 yrs before I started following) then the Steve Thomas barrage of points then a barren state where we relished the chance to beat Marquette, Dayton, Miami, UC, Notre Dame - all who played us yearly. I listened intently as we beat Nebraska, Ohio St & then lost to Michigan in NIT - none of which were on TV - all those were great times to us older posters. Being in a league like the Big East was a pipe dream 5 yrs ago. Being in a league like the A10 was a pipe dream 25 yrs ago. When Big East needed something other than the C7, we were lucky not to get left on the outside like UC was when the Big East dismantled the football schools. God Bless XU Basketball. God Bless the Commish and each and every one of us.
edgecliff hall
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:18 am
Contact:

Re: Thanks for the friendship!

Postby edgecliff hall » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Wishin' you all the best, Commish. I have always welcomed your posts. They are smart. They are sane. They are kind. Hope ya don't get too down on yourself and the rest of us goofballs. It's all just a great big game. Did ya ever see that movie "MONEYBALL?" I love that song his daughter sings at the end where she says:

"Ya gotta just enjoy the show."
X-Expert
Posts: 2189
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Thanks for the friendship!

Postby X-Expert » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Good luck Commish! I think if something affects you as the negativity from fan(atics) on this board does, it is a good time for you to enjoy your life as stress free as possible. Enjoy and Go X.

That being said MODS I recommend that Anti-Homer or Hops be considered as replacements.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 7016
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Thanks for the friendship!

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:59 pm

"I have a message. Lieutenant Colonel ... Commish's plane ... was shot down ... over the Sea of Japan. It spun in ... there were no survivors."
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Thanks for the friendship!

Postby muskieman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Commish, don't leave us to the likes(Dislikes) of Anti-Homer and hops. As you see there is a need for someone with sanity.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 903 guests