OT: Hey, Gary

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xman95
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:40 am
Contact:

OT: Hey, Gary

Postby Xman95 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:08 pm

I haven't been able to post lately because MM doesn't seem to cooperate with my computer (or the one at work) and I have been too lazy to figure out why. But, being that I was on a computer other than the non-compatible ones, I figured I would drop in to see the action on the board and to say hi.

Hopefully I'll figure out the issue with my computer and can drop in a little more frequently. Hope all is well.


PS -- I'm glad Carlos Quentin is finally playing up to his potential. I have drafted him in every fantasy league I have been in for the last three years. I always saw his name on my bench and hoped it was his time. Hopefully he continues what he's doing...making the trade look like an absolute steal for your Sox.
"I was in Dayton, Ohio recently. You know what is a fun thing to do there? Pack up and get the **** out." -- Dave Attell
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: OT: Hey, Gary

Postby Mr. Neutral » Thu May 29, 2008 11:30 pm

It might be your PC, 95. I haven't had any board problems that I can recall in quite a while. (Of course, it is the slow season.)

And, yes, Quentin's been a lifesaver for my W.Sox, especially with the heart of the order (Thome, Konerko, Crede) not doing much at all. Our offense is like Burrell's shooting; there some days, others not as much.

Fortunately, the pitching's been better than predicted, and any Sox fan has to be surprised (but still worried) with their 30-23 start.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
wkrq59
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: OT: Hey, Gary

Postby wkrq59 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:30 am

Try switching to another browser...I'm working with an open source OS, but Mozilla Firefox has issues with MM. Switched to konqueror and can navigate OK. I have no cookies on my machine but suggest that those running any Microsoft OS, especially Vista, clean out your cookie jar at least once a week.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: OT: Hey, Gary

Postby muskieman » Fri May 30, 2008 1:52 pm

wkrq59 wrote:Try switching to another browser...I'm working with an open source OS, but Mozilla Firefox has issues with MM. Switched to konqueror and can navigate OK. I have no cookies on my machine but suggest that those running any Microsoft OS, especially Vista, clean out your cookie jar at least once a week.
I use Mozilla Firefox and have no problems. My IE was buggy and moved to Firefox because IE had let a bad germ get in but FF works with everything but my one business database. These computers/programs will be the death of me.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: OT: Hey, Gary

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri May 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Maybe you two are the ones to ask. I switch between IE and Firefox on my laptop at home, and when sending emails via AOL on Firefox, website links seem to only show up as URL's, as opposed to a clickable link like they do when I use AOL on IE.

Any idea why?
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: OT: Hey, Gary

Postby muskieman » Fri May 30, 2008 3:10 pm

Here is some comments from a tech geek:
In the old days, AOL used to force you to use their own tools, but somewhere along the way, a few years ago, they changed their configuration and you can now use any Internet applications you want, from instant message clients to the iTunes store, Firefox to Thunderbird.

The key is to log in to your AOL account and stay logged in. Some configurations might require that you do something within the AOL framework every hour or so, to keep the connection alive, but my experimentation suggests that if you're using the Internet at all through the AOL wire, that's good enough for it to keep you online.

To browse the Web with Firefox, for example, connect to your AOL account as you normally do -- and this works with their free 1000 hour accounts too, by the way -- then leave that program running and launch Firefox. It'll automatically use the AOL account as your dialup Internet access and you're good to go.

The only wrinkle here is that it appears that AOL still sporadically blocks outbound mail connections from other mail programs (us tech types call this "SMTP" for the simple mail transfer protocol). I get around the problem by using an SSH Tunnel but if you're persistent on your send attempts it eventually seems to work without any fuss.

Oh, you can't use the AOL Address Book or other AOL features in these third party programs, so if you want to have user@aol.com as your email address, you're in a bit of a tricky situation.


Gary my son uses Firefox and aol on my machines...I have a different e-mail provider. He has no problems but he might have put one of the aol add-ons which you can get at aol.com. You might want to download their toolbar.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskienick
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:28 pm
Contact:

Re: OT: Hey, Gary

Postby muskienick » Fri May 30, 2008 3:39 pm

Eff-Ell-Oh-Cee-Kay seems to work well with MM and any other sites I visit as well. I had some loading problems with Mozilla Firefox and decided to dump it in favor of *****. I still use IE sometimes if there are times when I need an Active X plug-in to view something. I keep F LOCK "Active X-free" since it has caused me trouble in the past in Firefox.

I chose F LOCK probably for the same reason q uses his browser. It doesn't have the user base that IE and Firefox have. Since IE and Firefox are among the most popular ones, they are also the ones most likely to attract the crazies who love to cause problems for the most people possible.

Is Eff-Ell-OH-Cee-Kay a new dirty word or something? As you see, I have to use the spelling of each letter of the word to avoid the *****. I even tried to use the number 0 in place of the letter o and that didn't work! I guess once you get past a certain age you lose touch with the new obscenities. $#@%*&^ and ****!!!
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: OT: Hey, Gary

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri May 30, 2008 5:57 pm

mm, your response, while appreciated, made my head spin.

I never go to AOL directly anymore, only after opening my IE or Firefox browser. And all I use AOL for is checking my personal email.

So, in case I wasn't clear, assuming THIS was an AOL email I was trying to send, when I try to include links using IE, they show up like this http://www.pgatour.com/r/leaderboard/index.html, and when I send AOL mail on Firefox, the URL shows up, but not as a clickable link.

How do I get clickable links in my AOL emails when I'm using Firefox?
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1374 guests