Even with all their shortcomings, Xavier might just benefit from all of its misfortunes. The following scenario happens every year when the brackets are announced. If you honestly believe Xavier would be completely left out of the tournament, then it wouldn't be too far fetched to think that Xavier could finish 21-11 and get the first 11th seed. With a healthy Bluiett and the recent improved post play, they could be a very dangerous 11. In the latest bracket, the 6's are SMU, St. Mary's, Notre Dame and Maryland. The 3's are KY, Duke, Arizona and Florida. Three times the 11 has made it to the final 4, most notably VCU and George Mason. Last year Gonzaga went to the sweet 16 as an 11 and Wichita State beat Arizona in round one, also as an 11. Given our erratic and inconsistent play this year, I'd almost like to see us go into the third round as the lower seeded team and overachieve.
Anybody else see it that way?
NCAA Tournament Seed
-
Go Go Golston
- Posts: 88
- Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:35 am
- Contact:
-
XU Captain
- Posts: 90
- Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 pm
- Contact:
Re: NCAA Tournament Seed
Without Ed, this is not an NCAA Tournament team. An article today mentioned the NCAA committee will certainly hold his absence against Xavier in the process. It sounds like when they get together the final weekend of Selection Sunday this happens. But the way Xavier played tonight, they have no business in the NCAA. I think the NIT is a better fit this season because we would have a realistic shot at winning 2-3 games or more, and it gives Jones, Gates, etc., experience for next year.
-
XU Captain
- Posts: 90
- Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 pm
- Contact:
Re: NCAA Tournament Seed
On the other hand, being an optimist, I could see Xavier being a 1 or 2 seed for the NIT. That would guarantee at least two home games. That seems more likely than an 11 seed in the NCAA Tournament. The wheels have completely fallen off for the Muskies. Even Joe and Byron on the radio seemed to think this is one of those "write-off" seasons due to the injuries, defections, etc. I agree with them.
-
MOSQUETERO
- Posts: 1318
- Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:54 pm
- Contact:
Re: NCAA Tournament Seed
No way in hell is the NIT a better experience for this team this year. Sure, tonight was a terrible display but I would take a 10 or 11 seed any day over hosting two games at the 'Tas whilst playing in the NIT. That's gobble gook talk.
-
teddyfromedgewood
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:05 pm
- Contact:
Re: NCAA Tournament Seed
How can any fan want to go to Not rather than NCAA.I listen to Byron and Joe and don't get that impression. XU captain clean it up.
-
XU Captain
- Posts: 90
- Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 pm
- Contact:
Re: NCAA Tournament Seed
Because Xavier would have a chance in the NIT to play 3-4 extra games. And a realistic shot at competing. At this point, Xavier would be fodder for an NCAA Tournament team and one game, likely a blowout, see the Marquette game last night as an example. Our talent level is not going to get better this season. If Gaston is out for the next game because of the technicals, that's another certain loss. I have not heard what the rule is regarding the techs and if he has to sit out. Hopefully he can play, but it's still a likely loss. As for Joe and Byron, both agreed in the second half last night this season has turned for the worst. They are correct. No knock at Mack, it's not his fault they are injured and without any depth.teddyfromedgewood wrote:How can any fan want to go to Not rather than NCAA.I listen to Byron and Joe and don't get that impression. XU captain clean it up.
-
oreobob
- Posts: 313
- Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:05 pm
- Contact:
Re: NCAA Tournament Seed
I think he is solely responsible for the depth problem.
-
bluegrass
- Posts: 3411
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm
- Contact:
Re: NCAA Tournament Seed
Do we have scholarships that weren't used this year,?If I count correctly with Stainbrook and Myles we had 11 on scholarship projected for this year. Don't you have 13 available ?oreobob wrote:I think he is solely responsible for the depth problem.
-
lionelchalmers0
- Posts: 348
- Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:41 am
- Contact:
Re: NCAA Tournament Seed
An NIT would not be good for this team or program in any way. That's a black eye on a program that's in a small university trying to (and often succeeding at) playing with the big boys.
I see us losing one more, then winning the ones we should once Tre comes back. There's actually a ton of parity this year so I think even up to 11-12 losses we'll still get in as an 11-12. We can't make it past first weekend because of horrible depth but I still think we can and should earn a tourney spot.
I see us losing one more, then winning the ones we should once Tre comes back. There's actually a ton of parity this year so I think even up to 11-12 losses we'll still get in as an 11-12. We can't make it past first weekend because of horrible depth but I still think we can and should earn a tourney spot.
-
oreobob
- Posts: 313
- Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:05 pm
- Contact:
Re: NCAA Tournament Seed
We must win at least 2 of the last 3.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 787 guests
