Page 1 of 1

Providence

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:56 pm
by commish118
We exploited Providence's inside the last time we played, and both Sean and RaShid had good games. With Jones now playing more minutes, that will be our game plan Wednesday night. I look for Providence to try to exploit our thin Guard position. They have 6 that play a lot, and I look for them to try to take us off the dribble, especially if Tre does not play or is limited. They do shoot 37% from 3. They attempt just under 20 3pt shots per game and make just over 7 per game. I would expect us to play a lot of zone and force them to make 3 point shots to pull us out of the zone(s). Bullock and Lindsey take 9 of those 20 3's per game, but they only shoot 27% and 31% respectively from there. We need to keep them on the perimeter, especially Bullock (6'8" F)! Protect the guards from fouls, make them hit the 3's to beat us, dominate the boards, and pound the middle on offense. This is definitely winnable!

Re: Providence

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:51 pm
by commish118
Some are worried about making the NCAA. Many are already saying we will make it but we will be a 1-and-done. I don't know about anyone else, but I am really looking forward to the game tomorrow night! Tre or not, these kids have really come together as a team, and guys like Q, Ty, and RaShid have really stepped up due to the injuries. I am hoping to see Kaiser become the next one to step up! I love the hard work, scrappy play, and never quit attitude! This team is fun to root for! Even if Tre does not play, I love our chances against Providence; moving to 9-4 in the Big East; and remaining in 2nd place in the Big East standings.

This team has plenty of time to improve and get healthy, and I believe they are going to surprise a lot of people down the stretch and in the NCAA, including many on this board. If you watched the West Virginia vs Kansas game Monday night, Kansas was down 14 with just over 2 minutes left and came back to win in OT. Many of their fans gave up on their team and left early, missing the comeback. I have not given up on my Muskies!!! I am still in my seat and standing behind my Muskies. And I will remain there until they turn out the lights. You can give up on this season and leave early to beat the traffic if you like. Enjoy listening to the rest of the season in your car on the way home!

Re: Providence

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:31 pm
by Anti-Homer
If I bet this game, I'd simply take the under. Even if Tre plays, he'll be hobbled, and could reinjure the ankle at any moment. I think I agree with what another poster said previously in a different thread: Sit him for a game, and give his ankle a full week to rest. One loss won't hurt X. 4 out of 6 would however. We can at least count on Depaul as a win. Even if we started Stain, and put Jones at pg, X would still beat Depaul.

I know some think if X goes 2-4, and reaches the 20 win mark, we'll be in the tourney. That would be the case in most years, but with the lack of quality wins, not this year. Our situation is more tenuous than most believe, me thinks.

Re: Providence

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:51 pm
by X-Expert
[quote="Anti-Homer"]If I bet this game, I'd simply take the under. Even if Tre plays, he'll be hobbled, and could reinjure the ankle at any moment. I think I agree with what another poster said previously in a different thread: Sit him for a game, and give his ankle a full week to rest. One loss won't hurt X. 4 out of 6 would however. We can at least count on Depaul as a win. Even if we started Stain, and put Jones at pg, X would still beat Depaul.

I know some think if X goes 2-4, and reaches the 20 win mark, we'll be in the tourney. That would be the case in most years, but with the lack of quality wins, not this year. Our situation is more tenuous than most believe, me thinks.

A-H this team struggled with DePaul at home and with Tre. They have won last 4 of 5 games but three of the wins went down to the last minutes. The DePaul game was always in reach of DePaul if they went on a run. I personally think this team is WAY better than DePaul talent wise with or without Tre but having better talent does not always translate to wins. I would have never thought X would have lost 5 top 25 games with Sumner as they did this year.

Re: Providence

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:31 pm
by commish118
There is only 1 game that matters, and 1 game I care about: Providence!!! I think we win, with or without Tre! Go Muskies!!!

Re: Providence

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:38 am
by bluegrass
It will be interesting to see how we play without him for a full game.Providence is playing well.

Re: Providence

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:44 am
by Xavier2005
X is minus Davis, Sumner, and maybe Blueitt for this game against Providence. Those are Xavier's top 3 players/scorer's from last year!!!!! If you told me X would be without all 3 players...I would have said ...there is little little to no hope for Xavier basketball this year.