Time to focus on future

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Larry Sykes
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:39 am
Contact:

Time to focus on future

Postby Larry Sykes » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:32 am

This team has shown no signs of turning this season around and being capable of making a run in March.

With that said, it is time to focus on the future of this team. Bluiett and Sumner are both gone after this year (if you think either will stay, you are a fool). We need to get Goodin and Jones as many minutes as we can moving forward. Jones should replace Gaston in the starting lineup immediately and Goodin should be the first player off the bench. History tells me that out of our top 4 recruits, only 1 will be able to contribute right away and I think that will be Scruggs. So our starting lineup will look like this:

G - Goodin
G - Scruggs
F - Macura
F - Gates
C - Jones

Not too bad of a lineup if we can get Goodin and Jones ready!
edgecliff hall
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:18 am
Contact:

Re: Time to focus on future

Postby edgecliff hall » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Larry, I like your post. Xavier's problem arises from the fact that it only has three players on the team. We all know who they are, and they play their hearts out. But a team of three will always fall to a team of five basketball players in the second half. Note last night. So re/your suggestions: Yes to Mr. Goodin. And yes to Mr. Jones, our best big man. Nay, our ONLY big man. He should start, and then he should stay in for the entire game, or until fouling out. He should then be replaced by our best walk-on. All others should be sent to study-hall, because we want them to get their degrees, but they should in no case be allowed to ever again touch a basketball. Do this, Mr. Mack, and you might even win a few games. (Oh, yes, let Gates in to shoot a few. What the heck, he might even bump into a rebound.)
PT71
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to focus on future

Postby PT71 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Nice attempt...don't ever see Gates starting unless he markedly improves on effort and starts rebounding...he looks like a spectator out there. He did try to take a charge, finally, but was whistled for a block....think he got there late. Anyhow, a fire under our front line should have been set long ago...ala James Farr. He made himself invaluable to the team by WORKING at rebounding. Gates has some of the similar beginning qualities that James did...fancied himself an outside shooter, with little else to contribute! Mack got to him and impressed upon James that rebounding would make him invaluable to team. The things that make other teams successful need to be implemented at X. Ball security, rebounding, ball movement, making our FT's (better last night), playing smart, out-working the opponent...start there!
skyhops
Posts: 3928
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to focus on future

Postby skyhops » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:46 pm

Sumner is hurt, so Goodin could be playing a lot more. Jones has shown promise but hard to keep him on floor due to foul trouble
thecoach
Posts: 1492
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
Contact:

Re: Time to focus on future

Postby thecoach » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:16 pm

We really don't have the luxury of tinkering with this year's squad. There's still a lot of bball to be played and with a short roster they will all get time. You play your best guys. Sends a bad message to future recruits and the reflection on the program is not good to take that approach. You owe it to your guys. Not even a marginal call as far as a coach is concerned.
lionelchalmers0
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:41 am
Contact:

Re: Time to focus on future

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Totally agree on tyrique jones I think he's a beast and will be a great player and is actually our best interior player right now.

However, he's battling patellar tendinitis which is an overuse injury that really requires rest to get better. I believe that's why his time has been limited more than anything.
muncie6569
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to focus on future

Postby muncie6569 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:42 am

I would rather focus on the remaining games this year. There will be some very exciting games and I have not given up on this season. But I'm not surprised some of our fickle fans have they do almost every year. It's actually fun to watch them vacillate as the season goes based on their expectations or an injury or player slump. I guess they get their enjoyment that way. I enjoy the ride, the drama and yes the victories which is usually the case.
Thor in 204
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to focus on future

Postby Thor in 204 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:13 am

I'd like to see discussion about what changes need to be made to make the best out of the team we have now and for the rest of this season. Team 95 is not what we thought it would be. Can Chris Mack and coaching staff find better ways to utilize the talent we have? Current style of offense, without Ed Sumner, is going to fail. Team has to take on a new identity/style of play.
I think our bigs are lost in the schemes we've been playing. I think, win or lose, X should be emphasizing the bigs more. They have been afterthought in this season's offensive schemes. I may be a dreamer but I think there is more talent in Rashid and Sean than we've seen.
I am very far from being any kind of coach, but I think Chris Mack gets stuck in what he wants the team to do on offense, and thinks if he keeps trying what all too often doesn't work, that it will start working someday, somehow.
It looks to me that Xavier bigs over the years have been discouraged from pulling out of the lane for mid range jumpers. I have a hunch that our bigs can hit those shots at a better percentage than we have hit threes most of the year. They will get open shots, or if covered get the ball to guards on the perimeter or cutting through the lane. I believe that I see that too often our bigs and the guy guarding them are clogging up the lane when our guards are driving.
Any other thoughts about how Team 95 can be remodeled mid season?
muncie6569
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to focus on future

Postby muncie6569 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:56 am

Thor in 204 wrote:I'd like to see discussion about what changes need to be made to make the best out of the team we have now and for the rest of this season. Team 95 is not what we thought it would be. Can Chris Mack and coaching staff find better ways to utilize the talent we have? Current style of offense, without Ed Sumner, is going to fail. Team has to take on a new identity/style of play.
I think our bigs are lost in the schemes we've been playing. I think, win or lose, X should be emphasizing the bigs more. They have been afterthought in this season's offensive schemes. I may be a dreamer but I think there is more talent in Rashid and Sean than we've seen.
I am very far from being any kind of coach, but I think Chris Mack gets stuck in what he wants the team to do on offense, and thinks if he keeps trying what all too often doesn't work, that it will start working someday, somehow.
It looks to me that Xavier bigs over the years have been discouraged from pulling out of the lane for mid range jumpers. I have a hunch that our bigs can hit those shots at a better percentage than we have hit threes most of the year. They will get open shots, or if covered get the ball to guards on the perimeter or cutting through the lane. I believe that I see that too often our bigs and the guy guarding them are clogging up the lane when our guards are driving.
Any other thoughts about how Team 95 can be remodeled mid season?
Excellent points Thor
teddyfromedgewood
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to focus on future

Postby teddyfromedgewood » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:30 pm

Think it is way to premature to give up on season.I have posted before that are first elite 8 we were 11 and 9.At one point in the season. But looking at that guys starting squad for next year. Naji Marshall might be prize of the class.He is a baller just saying. Let's hope we take care of business Sunday.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 812 guests