"Scruggs as a sophomore might be better than JP as a senior."pki1998 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:20 pmMy 2 cents
1) Enjoy the season currently being played! All seasons are special but this season has the chance to be more special than any before it! Enjoy watching two seniors who will combine for well over $3,000 career points. Enjoy the fact that we have a senior like Tre! It's rare to have such a great player for four years these days. Enjoy seeing Sean be a true leader and play his heart out when a sophomore takes his starting role. Enjoy seeing Kaiser live up to his potential. Enjoy the freshman growing into their game.
2) I assume the starting line up next year will be Gooden, Scruggs, Marshall, Gates and Jones. That means three starters will be returning. Call me crazy but I think all three will be better next year than this year. Marshall is already showing how great of a player he will be. Is he going to be as good next year as Tre as a senior, probably not, but we can hope. While I like JP, I'm think that Scruggs as a sophomore might be better than JP as a senior. Players generally make big steps forward as sophomores and Scruggs is too talented not to make the step up. Overall I like our starting lineup next year.
3) The bench is what has me concerned. The signing appears to be huge for helping the depth. Evan should be able to replace Kanter as our second 4 with the ability to shoot threes. Even better is that we have a starting power forward for 2019-2020 I think Harden becomes a legit back up next year. The freshman class seems to have some guys that will need to devolop a little bit. So depth overall might be an issue year. I hope Mack is really hitting the grad Transfer Route next year. Would love to get a Gaston type player to provide depth and insurance in case Walter isn't ready. If you could combine that with a solid 2 guard, like a Bernard, I really like our chances next year as well. Good luck to Mack and the rest of the staff on the recruiting trail.
Wow. I'm not even sure where to begin with that statement.
As far as your starting five goes, if I'm an opposing coach, I pack in the zone, except for wherever Gates is. I'd probably play a box defense when he is hitting his treys. He is the only one who can shoot consistently outside of 15 feet. With Goodin and Scruggs in the lineup together for extended periods of time next year, X better press aggressively, and fast break as much as possible, because they will struggle mightily in the half court offense, imo. Neither Goodin nor Scruggs has shown the ability to hit anything consistently outside of a lab. Goodin has it great now, because with all the shooters, he has a clear path to the basket, and has made a living offensively doing so. His shot beyond 15 feet is highly encouraged by opposing defenses, as they simply sag back.
I love his game outside of his shooting, and would rather have T Jones shoot corner treys. I agree a sharp shooting grad transfer at the 2 is direly needed for next year.
