J, who knows what actually went on between Matta and Koufos? And this guy isn't the first HS coach to think that one of his players wasn't used (or handled) correctly in college.
You may not be old enough to remember John Shimko, who was part of Bob Staak's 2nd recruiting class (Jeff Jenkins, Vic Fleming, Dexter Bailey, Shimko), and for 4 years, Shimko was the solid forward who took the other team's top scorer, hit a few shots, etc. In his final MCC tournament, Shimko started raining in jumpers like we'd never seen before, and afterwards, his brother said that Staak's offense muzzled Shimko, and that he could have been scoring like this all along.
I do know that from the OSU games I saw, Koufos looked pretty good at the beginning of the season, looked lost and soft during much of the conference portion, and then came on very strong at the end.
I think it was just a case of Koufos growing as a player, and realizing how hard you have to play against quality competition if you're going to be an impact player.
Groce to get Ohio University head job
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Groce to get Ohio University head job
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26788
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Groce to get Ohio University head job
EJ the url you posted took me to an article: AIDS deaths drop for prison inmates, but HIV cases rise.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
Eastside_J
- Posts: 165
- Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Groce to get Ohio University head job
That is odd, try this: http://cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=41845 ... tegoryID=0muskieman wrote:EJ the url you posted took me to an article: AIDS deaths drop for prison inmates, but HIV cases rise.
- muskieman
- Posts: 26788
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Groce to get Ohio University head job
Thank EJ that url worked.
I noticed when I read the article it mentioned The Matta-Koufos relationship wasn't a secret in NBA circles. Yannis Koutroupis, a writer for hoopsworld.com, knew about it.
"I really think it was to his benefit to play at Ohio State, but he and his family weren't on the same page with Thad Matta," Koutroupis said. "That's one of the reasons he decided to leave. ... Things weren't working out for him at Ohio State. I do think he could've dominated and become a top-five pick next year."
Prior to the draft Yannis had this to say about KK
Koufos showed at OSU that he is not a true center but if he gets picked up by a team like Orlando, Houston, or San Antonio he is going to be a very effective player immediately. Koufos has a pro-ready skill set, but isn't quite ready physically yet.
I guess KK will have a tougher time now that he is a Utah Jazz, although YK said, "Utah got a much better player than they were expecting to at this spot."
I noticed when I read the article it mentioned The Matta-Koufos relationship wasn't a secret in NBA circles. Yannis Koutroupis, a writer for hoopsworld.com, knew about it.
"I really think it was to his benefit to play at Ohio State, but he and his family weren't on the same page with Thad Matta," Koutroupis said. "That's one of the reasons he decided to leave. ... Things weren't working out for him at Ohio State. I do think he could've dominated and become a top-five pick next year."
Prior to the draft Yannis had this to say about KK
Koufos showed at OSU that he is not a true center but if he gets picked up by a team like Orlando, Houston, or San Antonio he is going to be a very effective player immediately. Koufos has a pro-ready skill set, but isn't quite ready physically yet.
I guess KK will have a tougher time now that he is a Utah Jazz, although YK said, "Utah got a much better player than they were expecting to at this spot."
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1151 guests
