Lavender ...

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:49 pm

24, I don't think we're stunned that a college kid was hammered and had a little weed on him. We are questioning his judgment.

Nobody wanted to see Lavender on "Cops".
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby muskieman » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:51 pm

Mr. Neutral wrote:EJ, I've long said that X's players aren't angels, and never have been. That's true of every major Div. I program, and probably of most mid-and-lower level programs as well. The student body as a whole isn't comprised of 100% law-abiding citizens; to expect the student-athletes to be any different is totally unrealistic.

However, the difference between the UC and Xavier programs is the overall tone of the programs. X prides itself on graduating its seniors; UC never did.
X at least tried to recruit guys who would reflect well on the school off the court as well as on; UC never gave any indication that that was a concern.

It's like neighborhoods-you certainly have crime in "good" neighborhoods, but it's less frequent and less accepted by the community. That's the difference between the Xavier and UC programs in terms of student-athlete conduct.
G, now there you go being logical. Eastside and other UC fans don't like that and to think Eastside is one of the better ones.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
rickf
Posts: 770
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby rickf » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:01 pm

He needs drug counseling NOW.
Eastside_J
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby Eastside_J » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:10 pm

Mr. Neutral wrote:EJ, I've long said that X's players aren't angels, and never have been. That's true of every major Div. I program, and probably of most mid-and-lower level programs as well. The student body as a whole isn't comprised of 100% law-abiding citizens; to expect the student-athletes to be any different is totally unrealistic.

However, the difference between the UC and Xavier programs is the overall tone of the programs. X prides itself on graduating its seniors; UC never did.
X at least tried to recruit guys who would reflect well on the school off the court as well as on; UC never gave any indication that that was a concern.

It's like neighborhoods-you certainly have crime in "good" neighborhoods, but it's less frequent and less accepted by the community. That's the difference between the Xavier and UC programs in terms of student-athlete conduct.
Excellent points,

I do agree about the tone of a program. I also think that taking occassional calculated risks is OK, but that taking too many will come back to haunt you.

I believe that Sean Miller took a few calculated risks to jump start his program because he was not going to get where he wanted to go with the HS recruited candidates he had.

So he took some kids with "historys". And maybe one more that was unlikely to cut it academically without major help.

From that you get a couple resulting issues, a serious allegation, less than desirable outcomes. And probably a kid or two "seeking their future elsewhere" to protect that graduation record.

Except for the last part I don't how it is remotely different than UC of old?

BTW Shadow - thanks for the kind note. If you think this is "baiting" please let me know.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:18 pm

<<Except for the last part I don't how it is remotely different than UC of old? >.

Now, J, nobody in their right mind (which I'm going to assume you are) would compare Miller's program today, or even in his previous years, with Bob's program.

As to the academic allegations you toss out, schools everywhere give kids help re staying on track; that's what they're SUPPOSED to do. Not every student is a Rhodes scholar; not every student-athlete is a Rhodes scholar. But the school's promise to the kid and the family should be that the school will make every possible effort to develop the recruit as a player and keep him on track academically. X does a better job of keep those promises than the vast majority of Div. I programs, and certainly better than UC did under Bob.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby muskieman » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Eastside when Sean gets a dui's then we will start to talk about similarities. Remember from the Tape: police officer is heard to say, "You know we had you once before. You know that, and we took you home. Remember that?" Seems like Bobby got more than one warning. For good measure throw in a few affairs too to get close to the Huggin's era.

Players like people in general make mistakes and some are worse than others, example tying up a roommate and burning him with hangers or going to Columbus to kill him. Those things are bad for programs and when you tie it to the coach making mistakes like Huggins you get a pattern. If UC had a few players arrested here and there but promoted a program of graduating players then you would not have gotten the heat your program did. Coach Kelly from everything I have heard from him and others is doing it right and he seems to be succeeding, I applaud him for that and it makes it easier to root and support them. Will they have a few bad kids, sure but Kelly has three rules that can not be broken. 1) don't mistreat/hit women...Huggins take note. 2) don't steal and 3) don't lie. He says break these and your gone and other problems we will help you get through.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Biff Tannen
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby Biff Tannen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:04 pm

D West wrote:

EJ.....Did Drew puke on his Lexus? Didn't hit a police horse either.
I am sure you are referring to the Art Long/ Danny Fortson incident, which I have heard from three different CPD officers didn't really happen that way, all explained that Fortson and Long were drunk and were trying to figure out which bus to take back to campus, Fortson saw a mounted officer and asked him, Long went up to the horse and started to pet it on its nose, which startled some other officers, and those two got arrested but eventually everything got cleared up and neither were convicted of any wrong doing. I am only writing this because Art Long will always be remembered for punching a police horse, when it never actually happened. I firmly believe that none of these allegations against any player (UC, XU, UD, UNC, ect.) should ever be made public until the situation has resolved itself. So lets not jump the gun with Drew yet, and let the Criminal Justice system find his innocence or guilt, the way it should be.
gundun
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby gundun » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:22 pm

Forgive me, but Saturday night was not a good night for many Muskie fans as we watched the FF start without us.

I am sure that if I was still an undergraduate I might have had five or six too many drinks to ease the pain. So cut Drew a break and remember your days in college.

BTW, FWIW, I taught at OU for a semester in 2001 and I can tell you a black person is six times more likely than a white student for the same driving mistake/error.
Last edited by gundun on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bleedblue
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby bleedblue » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:16 pm

It just looks bad to me for someone to get caught with pot right after the season. Baylor and others (rumors at IU) are in hot water over unreported drug test failures. Bad reflection on all to me.
joeybaloney
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:00 am
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby joeybaloney » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:45 pm

i am more concerned about the "f--k this white club" comment. seems a little racist to me. i wonder if justin doelman had walked into a hip-hop club the summer before his senior year, said "f--k this black club", and walked out, would there have been ALOT more fallout. that is the first i have heard of this incident. seems like a double standard, of which i hate.
Last edited by joeybaloney on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 995 guests