Guys, I agree with all of you! Sure I wear my heart on my sleeve. That is what loyal fans do. And I don't mind criticism. I do it myself. I like Gaston and think he is turning into a good LP player for us, and I love the development of Jones. Even Sean has been playing better. But the LP play is what cost us the UC game. I love Chris Mack, but I get very frustrated every time he pulls out the 1-3-1. This team does not play it well enough to be effective. I question why he can't play 2-3 when they are in foul trouble or wants to try to change things up. I think the offense can be effective. But at times they need to pick up the pace and get more movement. I love these players for their hard work, but they haven't wanted these games as much as their opponents down the stretch. All of these ARE being brought up in the post game press conference.
What is being brought up here that I have never heard in a post game press conference is that the season is over and we need to think about next year. Or this team will be lucky to make the NIT. Or we are not recruiting the right kind of players. Or it is time for Chris Mack to go and for Xavier to look for a new head coach. We have a 15 RPI and 6 SOS. We have 11 Big East games left. We are not even in February yet. I understand the frustration of this last stretch of games, but there is no reason to throw the program, the players, the coach, the baby, and the drinking fountain in Hinkle Field House visitor locker room under the bus, then back up and do it again. I just think we need to support this program a little better. I think they've earned it.
Now, after the season, or after a couple of similar seasons, then some of these discussions might warrant more scrutiny. But not now.
Questioning
-
commish118
- Posts: 1034
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:48 pm
- Contact:
Re: Questioning
“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” Socrates
-
xu koop scoop
- Posts: 417
- Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:53 pm
- Contact:
Re: Questioning
As a follower of XU since 1960 and going to Schmidt a time or two I got excited to see 3/5 games a year on TV. And most of those teams had losing records but I watched their "rivals" from those days. Miami Ohio was on TV & Dayton & UC. Those were the Big 3 rivals, the mythical Miami Valley teams. Throw in a match against Marquette and Notre Dame and I enjoyed those few games for better or worse. Making the NIT was a big thing back then, winning it in 1958 was reminded to us fans every time we got in it again. I remember the excitement we had in the early 80s with Coach Stakk & Byron Larkin leading us past Nebraska & Ohio St in the NIT. Then came our long runs in the NCAA & we probably beat Duke to get to the Final 4 if Anthony Myles don't foul out with 16 minutes left - after having 1 foul at halftime. We might have beat Kansas in the NCAA if Larkin don't go out hurt in 1st half. We outlast Georgetown in 1990 for our 1st Sweet 16, even though Tyrone Hill fouls out with 5/6 minutes to go. Freshman Aaron Williams steps in for Hill & carries us to victory. Watched that game at MIllions Café and the whole place erupted. Fast forward to last year with maybe our best squad ever and we BEAT Wisconsin if James Farr could have played most of that game. Our first elite 8 team would never had made the NCAA except they won the A10 Tourney after going 8-8 in conference play. So enjoy the ride everybody and take 1 game at a time. Today its St Johns at their place & 20 years ago we'd be thrilled just to play them at all. Ok, we lost 4 of last 5. Same losing streaks happen to Duke and Kentucky,etc... from time to time. Enjoy the team for what it is - a bunch of teens/early 20's young men giving it their best effort each game.
-
muncie6569
- Posts: 474
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Questioning
Thank you thank you...excellent post (including those wonderful moments from history and the reality check)xu koop scoop wrote:As a follower of XU since 1960 and going to Schmidt a time or two I got excited to see 3/5 games a year on TV. And most of those teams had losing records but I watched their "rivals" from those days. Miami Ohio was on TV & Dayton & UC. Those were the Big 3 rivals, the mythical Miami Valley teams. Throw in a match against Marquette and Notre Dame and I enjoyed those few games for better or worse. Making the NIT was a big thing back then, winning it in 1958 was reminded to us fans every time we got in it again. I remember the excitement we had in the early 80s with Coach Stakk & Byron Larkin leading us past Nebraska & Ohio St in the NIT. Then came our long runs in the NCAA & we probably beat Duke to get to the Final 4 if Anthony Myles don't foul out with 16 minutes left - after having 1 foul at halftime. We might have beat Kansas in the NCAA if Larkin don't go out hurt in 1st half. We outlast Georgetown in 1990 for our 1st Sweet 16, even though Tyrone Hill fouls out with 5/6 minutes to go. Freshman Aaron Williams steps in for Hill & carries us to victory. Watched that game at MIllions Café and the whole place erupted. Fast forward to last year with maybe our best squad ever and we BEAT Wisconsin if James Farr could have played most of that game. Our first elite 8 team would never had made the NCAA except they won the A10 Tourney after going 8-8 in conference play. So enjoy the ride everybody and take 1 game at a time. Today its St Johns at their place & 20 years ago we'd be thrilled just to play them at all. Ok, we lost 4 of last 5. Same losing streaks happen to Duke and Kentucky,etc... from time to time. Enjoy the team for what it is - a bunch of teens/early 20's young men giving it their best effort each game.
-
Anti-Homer
- Posts: 7018
- Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
- Contact:
Re: Questioning
Commish,
First of all, as you correctly state, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I don't care if someone agrees with my opinion or not, as long as the post is sincere and not a personal attack. If I don't find the post compelling, I just ignore it. Then again, I like color, not black and white TV, and also like flavors other than vanilla.
One thing I feel I must do, though, is address the white elephant in the room. I hope I'm wrong, but are you talking about Mman as the leader of negative posters? Sure he posted some things during the shootout which made me cringe, but he is just a passionate fan. Regardless, I'll be damned if I sit idly by when you criticize an American hero, who was able to land a plane in the Hudson to save hundreds of liv...... Oh wait, that was Scully. Scatch the last paragraph.
First of all, as you correctly state, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I don't care if someone agrees with my opinion or not, as long as the post is sincere and not a personal attack. If I don't find the post compelling, I just ignore it. Then again, I like color, not black and white TV, and also like flavors other than vanilla.
One thing I feel I must do, though, is address the white elephant in the room. I hope I'm wrong, but are you talking about Mman as the leader of negative posters? Sure he posted some things during the shootout which made me cringe, but he is just a passionate fan. Regardless, I'll be damned if I sit idly by when you criticize an American hero, who was able to land a plane in the Hudson to save hundreds of liv...... Oh wait, that was Scully. Scatch the last paragraph.
-
commish118
- Posts: 1034
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:48 pm
- Contact:
Re: Questioning
LOL! Maybe he didn't land a plane in the Hudson, but he could have parked his car in a puddle and had to walk on water!
Actually, I was not calling out anyone in particular, Anti.
Actually, I was not calling out anyone in particular, Anti.
“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” Socrates
-
Anti-Homer
- Posts: 7018
- Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
- Contact:
Re: Questioning
commish118 wrote:LOL! Maybe he didn't land a plane in the Hudson, but he could have parked his car in a puddle and had to walk on water!
Actually, I was not calling out anyone in particular, Anti.
I know. Just joshing.
-
oreobob
- Posts: 313
- Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:05 pm
- Contact:
Re: Questioning
I have a severe case of the yips. A loss today would force us to go 6-4 to secure an invite to the prom.
My new bar allows crying. My old one did not, so I am banned. It is owned by a retired marine.
My new bar allows crying. My old one did not, so I am banned. It is owned by a retired marine.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 852 guests
