Our Bigs need to really to need to.......
-
Michigan Musketeer
- Posts: 111
- Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:20 pm
- Contact:
Re: Our Bigs need to really to need to.......
How can you lose a game when the other team misses (19)FT's and you have a sensational shooting night from Trevon (40pts). When you let them do anything they want in the paint and several 2nd chance points. I think the Xavier Ladies could have played better. At this time I don't think we have to worry about seeding I would be concerned about even making the tournament with the our non existent bigs and Eds shoulder issues and I don't think Trevon is going to put up 30 or 40 every nite and one dimensional Gates. Lets face it we haven't beat any really good team and still have road games left where it is hard to win especially with no presence or effort in the paint. I think Mack should start Tyrique he might foul out but I bet you would see a lot of effort. I sure hope I have to eat my words but I don't see this team turning it around after they way they played in 4 of the last 5 games. May be a play in game in Dayton or the NIT if we find a way to win some road games?
-
edgecliff hall
- Posts: 1022
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:18 am
- Contact:
Re: Our Bigs need to really to need to.......
Everybody, see Larry Sykes post "Time To Focus On The Future," and my reply. We agree on much.
-
joetitan
- Posts: 127
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:35 am
- Contact:
Re: Our Bigs need to really to need to.......
Mack stated as recent as his radio show this week that Sean O'Mara boxes out his man every time, but maybe you watch more closely.oreobob wrote:OMara couldn't box out his Mum
-
Thor in 204
- Posts: 368
- Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:16 pm
- Contact:
Re: Our Bigs need to really to need to.......
I've never attended a practice, so I don't know what coaches see day to day. What we have seen most of the year from Rachid Gaston is good rebounding and that he doesn't have a great offensive game close to the basket. I think he's a warrior but he's not as big as advertised.
I have yet to watch the UC game. In the Creighton game he hit nice looking 8-10 footer, and I've been hoping to see more of that. If our guards and wings are going to try to drive into the lane, it would be good for our bigs to pull out of the lane the guys who are guarding them.
Sean O'Mara seems to still lack confidence. I think he has more talent than he gets to come through in his play. You can see his hesitance every time he gets the ball. The team needs him to get to a new level of confidence quickly.
I have yet to watch the UC game. In the Creighton game he hit nice looking 8-10 footer, and I've been hoping to see more of that. If our guards and wings are going to try to drive into the lane, it would be good for our bigs to pull out of the lane the guys who are guarding them.
Sean O'Mara seems to still lack confidence. I think he has more talent than he gets to come through in his play. You can see his hesitance every time he gets the ball. The team needs him to get to a new level of confidence quickly.
-
thecoach
- Posts: 1492
- Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
- Contact:
Re: Our Bigs need to really to need to.......
O'mara has the size to effectively rebound the ball at this level, but he lacks both explosiveness and the "hands". It's one thing to keep your man behind you and the ball, but it's another thing to go get it. There are multiple boxes to tick off to be a really solid rebounder and shot blocker, and you do not have to be 6 10 to do it. Gary Clark from the other night is a good example. He plays the proverbial old man's game, nothing flashy. However, he keep his man behind him, locates the ball and he's got great hand and footwork to explode the ball. I don't think he's anymore than 6'7 and he can go get it even against bigger competition. It's not something you can do overnight. Could Sean improve between this year and next? Sure, but he's not shown much progress in 3 years as i think he is a guy who was used to being far bigger than the competition, and his habits have been born with that scenario.
-
xu koop scoop
- Posts: 417
- Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:53 pm
- Contact:
Re: Our Bigs need to really to need to.......
Bigs Gaston & Jones both at or under 50% on FT for year, so opponents guard them closer and don't mind fouling them. Our Best Bigs in past 30 yrs all hit FT at 70% or better (Hill/Grant/West/Stain,etc...) Gaston hadn't played against many good bigs, but he certainly practiced against good bigs all last year with Farr & Reynolds. Omara lacks confidence/quickness. And then there's Gates who insists on playing outside a lot, like Farr did til he was a Junior. Some teams can win without great play from the BIGs, but we lack a good trio/foursome of guys that can hit near 40% from 3 pt land. This is not a very good offensive team, so we need to win with defense - which comes from constant hustle and a lot of heart.
-
finalfourorbust
- Posts: 1392
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:41 am
- Contact:
Re: Our Bigs need to really to need to.......
Gates was a monster under the boards last night with his 9 rebounds in 19 minutes. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come.
-
bluegrass
- Posts: 3411
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm
- Contact:
Re: Our Bigs need to really to need to.......
All of them need to finish better around the basket.Have we had any "And ones" from a big this year?
-
xu koop scoop
- Posts: 417
- Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:53 pm
- Contact:
Re: Our Bigs need to really to need to.......
O'Mara & Jones frequently like to take a dribble when they catch ball 2/3 ft from basket. That kills their quickness. Even when they don't take a dribble they simply aren't quick enough to the rim with the ball. Omara lacks that soft touch off the backboard from 2/3 ft. After a few years of Stainbrook with Farr & Reynolds (we did have some time with all 3) and then Farr/Reynolds the current crop is a letdown. We haven't had an
NBA ready BIG since David West, though Reynolds certainly had the body and power of one. Any incoming bigs that might be awesome?
NBA ready BIG since David West, though Reynolds certainly had the body and power of one. Any incoming bigs that might be awesome?
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 761 guests
