This game represents a reversal of previous seasons. X comes in playing much tougher competition and while UC is having a good year, X has played better teams (but maybe not have won). UC is on the upswing and wants this game in a big way, at home. I would be worried is X had handled Butler and Creighton (which they didn't) and would have come into this game a little too confident.
My take; X shoots well enough from the line, defends the three (while making enough for themselves) and Gaston plays a hell of a game down low (with O'Mara chipping in) to give X a 8-10 point win.
Ironically, I see Bernard and Gaston, two guys playing in their only shootout, being the difference. X is due to lay an @ss whooping on someone
Crosstown
-
XavierTragedy
- Posts: 734
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:47 pm
- Contact:
-
madness31
- Posts: 2200
- Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:21 pm
- Contact:
Re: Crosstown
I predict X wins. This is a game of passion and energy. X has the superior talent which generally wins when combined with desire.
It is not surprising that X has struggled against top level talent this year. X, unfortunately, has had a tendency to get worse as the year goes on since Mack took over. He is a very good recruiter but he simply can't figure out how to get max production from players and often seems to zap the team of cohesion and energy as the season wears on. Mack has a great record but his success in the tournament is poor given the level of talent he has and the potential of the teams he has coached. It is my belief that X is stuck in high level mediocrity as long as Mack remains head coach. I would love him as a number 2 but he just can't get it done against top level competition. He struggles to improve players. Improvements are generally made in the offseason and flat to down the rest of the year.
It is time to look for our next head coach or accept a sweet 16 ceiling. That is respectable but personally I want more.
It is not surprising that X has struggled against top level talent this year. X, unfortunately, has had a tendency to get worse as the year goes on since Mack took over. He is a very good recruiter but he simply can't figure out how to get max production from players and often seems to zap the team of cohesion and energy as the season wears on. Mack has a great record but his success in the tournament is poor given the level of talent he has and the potential of the teams he has coached. It is my belief that X is stuck in high level mediocrity as long as Mack remains head coach. I would love him as a number 2 but he just can't get it done against top level competition. He struggles to improve players. Improvements are generally made in the offseason and flat to down the rest of the year.
It is time to look for our next head coach or accept a sweet 16 ceiling. That is respectable but personally I want more.
-
muncie6569
- Posts: 474
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Crosstown
madness31 wrote:I predict X wins. This is a game of passion and energy. X has the superior talent which generally wins when combined with desire.
It is not surprising that X has struggled against top level talent this year. X, unfortunately, has had a tendency to get worse as the year goes on since Mack took over. He is a very good recruiter but he simply can't figure out how to get max production from players and often seems to zap the team of cohesion and energy as the season wears on. Mack has a great record but his success in the tournament is poor given the level of talent he has and the potential of the teams he has coached. It is my belief that X is stuck in high level mediocrity as long as Mack remains head coach. I would love him as a number 2 but he just can't get it done against top level competition. He struggles to improve players. Improvements are generally made in the offseason and flat to down the rest of the year.
It is time to look for our next head coach or accept a sweet 16 ceiling. That is respectable but personally I want more.
Dump Mack???!? Really? Do you realize he was awarded College Coach of the Year last year? They don't just throw a dart to pick a winner of that.
-
kyzrex
- Posts: 1896
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:35 am
- Contact:
Re: Crosstown
Madness31 is living up to his name.
I'd put X, and Chris Mack, in the top 3....along with Villanova and Gonzaga....of small private school programs in the country.
I think that he has unrealistic expectations that are not founded on reality as much as they are founded on as sense of entitlement.
But he is certainly welcome to his own opinion, and I doubt that any facts might change an opinion that is based on them as much as it is based on personal expectations and bias.
I'd put X, and Chris Mack, in the top 3....along with Villanova and Gonzaga....of small private school programs in the country.
I think that he has unrealistic expectations that are not founded on reality as much as they are founded on as sense of entitlement.
But he is certainly welcome to his own opinion, and I doubt that any facts might change an opinion that is based on them as much as it is based on personal expectations and bias.
#WHYNOTX?
-
bluegrass
- Posts: 3411
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm
- Contact:
Re: Crosstown
UC has never beaten a ranked Xavier team in 8 tries. We've never beaten them 4 straight. Something has to give tonight. As much as I hate to say it, I think it's their year.
-
oldhoopster
- Posts: 778
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:53 pm
- Contact:
Re: Crosstown
Not so sure I don't agree with Madness. We run few offensive sets and are very predictable. We haven't developed a big man in years. I'm just not sure Chris can get X to that next level (final four) either. Not saying he hasn't done a good job or isn't a good coach, but seems other coaches do more with less talent.
-
ChitownSteve
- Posts: 2046
- Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 am
- Contact:
Re: Crosstown
How do you characterize James Farr?oldhoopster wrote:Not so sure I don't agree with Madness. We run few offensive sets and are very predictable. We haven't developed a big man in years. I'm just not sure Chris can get X to that next level (final four) either. Not saying he hasn't done a good job or isn't a good coach, but seems other coaches do more with less talent.
-
oldhoopster
- Posts: 778
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:53 pm
- Contact:
Re: Crosstown
Farr wasn't much of a factor until he took the role of a rebounder in his senior year. I'm not sure he was developed but was just moved off the three point line. Jalen certainly didn't develop, nor did McLean, Robinson, Freeze or others, even though they may have produced some and been serviceable enough because of those around em.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1168 guests
