Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Biff Tannen
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems

Postby Biff Tannen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:06 pm

xuwburg wrote:
I think schollys are on a year-by-year, renewable basis.[/quote]

That is true, but when I was at X ('02) I had a class taught by the golf coach who said Xavier's policy was to honor a scholarship for four years, not re-evaluate it each year as they were permitted by NCAA regulations.
Maybe the basketball team doesn't follow this policy...[/quote]

A buddy of mine, who is a compliance coordinator of UC Irvine, said that the schollys are year by year but it is assumed that they are a 4 year deal. As long as a player remains on the team, and does not voluntarily leave the program or violate rules that get him kicked out of the program, the player gets the scholly all four years. If a player does not perform well and the coach decides to cut them from the team then coach and athletic dept must honor that scholly for however number of years of eligibility they have left, as long as they stay at the school. So if Miller decides to cut a scholarship player for matters concerning their athletic performance and that player stays at Xavier, then Xavier cannot terminate their scholly. If the player leaves voluntarily then they lose their scholly, as they do if they violate team rules, that ordinarily would mean expulsion from the team.

He said that in the late 90s some coach cut a player who never really performed as well as he had hoped, and took away the scholarship, the kid sued, and the courts ruled that the scholarship agreement may be on a year by year basis but it is assumed that they will have the scholarship for 4 years.
User avatar
Shadow
Posts: 6246
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems

Postby Shadow » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:17 pm

Even Michigan State is weighing in on these developments.
http://www.spartantailgate.com/forums/m ... avier.html

As long as Bronson makes the choice and wants to go, that's fine. I would wish him the best wherever he lands.
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26785
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:39 pm

Hey as long as we are wishing how about Devin Ebanks. I heard he said no to IU. 6'8" 5 star. lots of lookers but hey come to Xavier. I like him because he has length.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
xuhuh!
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems

Postby xuhuh! » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:20 pm

muskieman wrote:Hey as long as we are wishing how about Devin Ebanks. I heard he said no to IU. 6'8" 5 star. lots of lookers but hey come to Xavier. I like him because he has length.
says he'll visit wva and texas

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 721 guests