2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 23896
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: 2021-22 schedule SO FAR

Postby muskieman » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:12 pm

November 9, 2021 Tuesday) Home Niagara
November 12, 2021 (Friday) Home Kent State
November 18, 2021 (Thursday) TBD Home Ohio State Cincinnati, Ohio Cintas Center Gavitt Tipoff Games
November 21, 2021 (Sunday) Home Norfolk State
November 24, 2021 (Wednesday) 7 p.m. Iowa State Brooklyn, N.Y. ESPNU Preseason NIT
November 26, 2021 (Friday) 9:30p.m. Preseason NIT Brooklyn, N.Y. ESPN2 Preseason NIT
December 1, 2021 (Wednesday) Home Central Michigan
December 5, 2021 (Sunday) TBD Away Oklahoma State Stillwater, Okla. BIG EAST-Big 12 Battle
December 8, 2021 (Wednesday) TBD Home Ball State
December 11, 2021 (Saturday) Cincinnati Cintas Center Skyline Chili Crosstown Shootout
December 15, 2021 (Wednesday) TBD Home Morehead State
December 18, 2021 (Saturday) TBD Home Marquette Cintas Center
December 21, 2021 (Tuesday) TBD Away Villanova Villanova, Pa.
December 28, 2021 (Tuesday) TBD Home Connecticut Cintas Center
January 4, 2022 (Tuesday) TBD Away Georgetown Washington, D.C.
January 7, 2022 (Friday) TBD Away Butler Indianapolis, Ind.
January 12, 2022 (Wednesday) TBD Home Villanova Cintas Center
January 15, 2022 (Saturday) TBD Home Creighton Cintas Center
January 19, 2022 (Wednesday) TBD Away DePaul Chicago, Ill.
January 23, 2022 (Sunday) TBD Away Marquette Milwaukee, Wis.
January 26, 2022 (Wednesday) TBD Home Providence Cintas Center
January 29, 2022 (Saturday) TBD Away Creighton Omaha, Neb.
February 2, 2022 (Wednesday) TBD Home Butler Cintas Center
February 5, 2022 (Saturday) TBD Home DePaul Cintas Center
February 9, 2022 (Wednesday) TBD Away Seton Hall South Orange, N.J.
February 16, 2022 (Wednesday) TBD Home St. John's Cintas Center
February 19, 2022 (Saturday) TBD Away Connecticut Storrs, Conn.
February 23, 2022 (Wednesday) TBD Away Providence Providence, R.I.
February 26, 2022 (Saturday) TBD Home Seton Hall Cintas Center
March 2, 2022 (Wednesday) TBD Away St. John's Queens, N.Y.
March 5, 2022 (Saturday) TBD Home Georgetown Cintas Center
March 9, 2022 (Wednesday) TBD BIG EAST Tournament New York, N.Y.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
AirJordan
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Postby AirJordan » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:59 am

I still would prefer a couple less MAC teams although another poster speculated that playing local teams which can travel via bus provides less hassle than the COVID related protocols associated with flying. No idea if that is true or if it is the reason for playing so many teams early-on that appear to be weaker opponents.

The B.E. schedule is a gauntlet and I hope it remains that way. But, iron sharpens iron and so I'd like to see a few tougher opponents added. I think I'm in the minority but I would love to see Dayton back on the schedule. X and U.C. are rivals but now that Huggins is gone, I don't feel the same level of animosity for the Bearcats I once did. I genuinely dislike the Liars and the mutual disdain the school's fan bases have for each other, is great fuel for rivalry. Whatever insults we have for their fan base (and there are many), they support their Liars and it is a tough environment for visiting teams.

Going into Dayton early in the season would, I think, be great preparation for B.E. road games. And players (the good ones) really want to play rivalry games in tough environments. I understand the arguments for not playing U.D. but they become impediments to what is needed to take X to the next level. We just don't benefit from a schedule chock full of weaker early season opponents. I say we play tough teams anywhere and anytime. That will toughen our team for conference play and help recruiting.

All that said, I'm not totally dissing the early season schedule; OSU and OSU are good opponents. We just need a couple more like them.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 6017
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: 2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:37 pm

AirJordan wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:59 am
I still would prefer a couple less MAC teams although another poster speculated that playing local teams which can travel via bus provides less hassle than the COVID related protocols associated with flying. No idea if that is true or if it is the reason for playing so many teams early-on that appear to be weaker opponents.

The B.E. schedule is a gauntlet and I hope it remains that way. But, iron sharpens iron and so I'd like to see a few tougher opponents added. I think I'm in the minority but I would love to see Dayton back on the schedule. X and U.C. are rivals but now that Huggins is gone, I don't feel the same level of animosity for the Bearcats I once did. I genuinely dislike the Liars and the mutual disdain the school's fan bases have for each other, is great fuel for rivalry. Whatever insults we have for their fan base (and there are many), they support their Liars and it is a tough environment for visiting teams.

Going into Dayton early in the season would, I think, be great preparation for B.E. road games. And players (the good ones) really want to play rivalry games in tough environments. I understand the arguments for not playing U.D. but they become impediments to what is needed to take X to the next level. We just don't benefit from a schedule chock full of weaker early season opponents. I say we play tough teams anywhere and anytime. That will toughen our team for conference play and help recruiting.

All that said, I'm not totally dissing the early season schedule; OSU and OSU are good opponents. We just need a couple more like them.
Agree with the post overall, except for the comment that the BE is a gauntlet. It was in its first two to three years but has been pretty pedestrian since. There used to be nowhere to hide except Depaul, but now X, Providence, G-twon, Butler, and SH have officially become games teams like Nova and UConn mark as "winnable" before the season starts, regardless of where it's played. Not simply picking on Coach Steele, but X was 1 & 2 seeds pin consecutive yrs prior to his tenure. Granted Mac peed down his legs with both teams and is continuing to do so with Louisville, but X is inching closer to the cliff of irrelevancy. I have faith the tide will turn this year because even Brannen could win with this talent.
User avatar
olsingledigit
Posts: 5848
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:27 am
Contact:

Re: 2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:28 pm

AirJordan wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:59 am
I still would prefer a couple less MAC teams although another poster speculated that playing local teams which can travel via bus provides less hassle than the COVID related protocols associated with flying. No idea if that is true or if it is the reason for playing so many teams early-on that appear to be weaker opponents.

The B.E. schedule is a gauntlet and I hope it remains that way. But, iron sharpens iron and so I'd like to see a few tougher opponents added. I think I'm in the minority but I would love to see Dayton back on the schedule. X and U.C. are rivals but now that Huggins is gone, I don't feel the same level of animosity for the Bearcats I once did. I genuinely dislike the Liars and the mutual disdain the school's fan bases have for each other, is great fuel for rivalry. Whatever insults we have for their fan base (and there are many), they support their Liars and it is a tough environment for visiting teams.

Going into Dayton early in the season would, I think, be great preparation for B.E. road games. And players (the good ones) really want to play rivalry games in tough environments. I understand the arguments for not playing U.D. but they become impediments to what is needed to take X to the next level. We just don't benefit from a schedule chock full of weaker early season opponents. I say we play tough teams anywhere and anytime. That will toughen our team for conference play and help recruiting.

All that said, I'm not totally dissing the early season schedule; OSU and OSU are good opponents. We just need a couple more like them.
Never again with Dayton!
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 23896
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: 2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Postby muskieman » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:38 pm

I agree never with Dayton, never again they had their chances and screwed X every time. OSU and osu are not the only tough games When X goes to the Preseason NIT the second game could be Memphis or VTech both are tough games especially if we get Memphis. I like tough games but Duke, Kentucky and Kansas only play the tough games when the TV puts together packages.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
tacitus
Posts: 1368
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:31 pm
Contact:

Re: 2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Postby tacitus » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:57 am

I do not get what people have against our schedule. It seems like they are griping just to gripe… There are plenty of other things to gripe about. Why pick a non-issue?
Any way you slice it, we have had our best SOS’s since joining the Big East. Since the Big East is the worst meat grinder in college basketball, we do need a couple marquee wins OOC to make up for a high probability of going .500 or worse! But by the same logic, we need to rack up some Ws and build some confidence before throwing the underclassmen into that grinder…
By all accounts, the best SOS we had to-date was in the 2016-17 season. This was mostly because the Big East was pretty stacked that year. We only played one ranked team OOC (Baylor, to whom we lost). Yet we then made it to the Elite Eight. Not our best regular season, as we were 19-12 at before the Big East tourney and only got an 11 seed. But that regular season clearly got us ready for the Big Dance!
This year we are playing at least three teams that will be getting votes in the pre-season polls and could be ranked when we play them. Ohio State should be top-25 when we play them at home. Memphis should be top-ten (like Baylor was). (Virginia Tech should at least be getting votes.). Oklahoma State should also at least be getting votes! Iowa State and Cincinnati should result in Ws for us, and there is no reason to suspect either will be ranked when we play them. Both are going through some serious transition this year. But… they should both have a couple elite athletes and both supposedly have really good coaches. I do not see either as a cupcake.

Data on our SOS below.

Image
Let's March!
Anti-Homer
Posts: 6017
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: 2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:13 pm

tacitus wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:57 am
I do not get what people have against our schedule. It seems like they are griping just to gripe… There are plenty of other things to gripe about. Why pick a non-issue?
Any way you slice it, we have had our best SOS’s since joining the Big East. Since the Big East is the worst meat grinder in college basketball, we do need a couple marquee wins OOC to make up for a high probability of going .500 or worse! But by the same logic, we need to rack up some Ws and build some confidence before throwing the underclassmen into that grinder…
By all accounts, the best SOS we had to-date was in the 2016-17 season. This was mostly because the Big East was pretty stacked that year. We only played one ranked team OOC (Baylor, to whom we lost). Yet we then made it to the Elite Eight. Not our best regular season, as we were 19-12 at before the Big East tourney and only got an 11 seed. But that regular season clearly got us ready for the Big Dance!
This year we are playing at least three teams that will be getting votes in the pre-season polls and could be ranked when we play them. Ohio State should be top-25 when we play them at home. Memphis should be top-ten (like Baylor was). (Virginia Tech should at least be getting votes.). Oklahoma State should also at least be getting votes! Iowa State and Cincinnati should result in Ws for us, and there is no reason to suspect either will be ranked when we play them. Both are going through some serious transition this year. But… they should both have a couple elite athletes and both supposedly have really good coaches. I do not see either as a cupcake.

Data on our SOS below.

Image
Sorry,

Couldn't read the rest of the post after reading the line, "The BE is a meat grinder." It will be lucky to get three teams in the Tourney yet again.
tacitus
Posts: 1368
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:31 pm
Contact:

Re: 2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Postby tacitus » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:40 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:13 pm
Sorry,

Couldn't read the rest of the post after reading the line, "The BE is a meat grinder." It will be lucky to get three teams in the Tourney yet again.
Very paradigmatic thinking: "I disagree with the wording of this opinion, so I am going to ignore all of the facts and data used to support the main argument."
Let's March!
tacitus
Posts: 1368
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:31 pm
Contact:

Re: 2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Postby tacitus » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:45 am

And for the record: I did not claim that the Big East is the best league in 2021-22. Nor have I made any predictions on how many bids we will get in March. I prefer retrospective analyses based on performance over speculative predications based on biased assumptions! But... if many teams in the Big East have strong OOC performance and then beat up on each other so bad that we only get three bids in March, then I suppose I will have another season of data to support my description of the Big East as a "meat grinder".
Let's March!
Jesseandrippers
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: 2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Postby Jesseandrippers » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:37 pm

tacitus wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:45 am
And for the record: I did not claim that the Big East is the best league in 2021-22. Nor have I made any predictions on how many bids we will get in March. I prefer retrospective analyses based on performance over speculative predications based on biased assumptions! But... if many teams in the Big East have strong OOC performance and then beat up on each other so bad that we only get three bids in March, then I suppose I will have another season of data to support my description of the Big East as a "meat grinder".
Relax fella

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests