Creighton game thread 12/23

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Creighton game thread 12/23

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:06 pm

madness31 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:55 pm
No one is playing well on offense for either team. Put Tandy in. He was making shots.
Wow! The statement that all four X players are playing poorly on offense is damning! Based on your logic, I as a moderator should ban you for a month! No worries, I feel generous on the eve of Festivus.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:17 pm

AirJordan wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:59 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:49 pm
Creighton has been abusing X inside on dribble drives, and not one zone. As Steele's learning curve seems to plateau, it rises again. Maybe we'll see another Carter three after this T.O. One cue, possibly the ugliest jump hook I've ever seen from Carter.
Apparently, Carter took your comment as a green light.
"His shooting will coming around. I have no problem with him taking threes." Coach Steele on Goodin last year. I have to believe he feels and has expressed the same to Carter. That's obviously a good thing.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:24 pm

It was nice to be ranked for 1 game.

Aside from bad officiating, this was poorly coached.

Scruggs had 3 straight 20+ point games. X built a double digit lead on Scruggs and Johnson play. Scruggs get sat for an extended period and doesn't see the floor again until the team is on a meltdown.

I agree with resting Scruggs to keep him fresh but when the lead started to evaporate, he needs to get back on the floor. Additionally this Tandy/Kunkel lineup is just stupid. That needs to end. Neither is good at handling the basketball and neither has proven the ability to get in the lane on a consistent basis. Both are valuable players to the team but are not a good pairing.

It is difficult to find minutes for everyone and almost impossible to know who will have the hot hand. At some point it makes sense to pick a preferred lineup and backup rotation and deviate only when things are not going as planned. find the weak link, sub in comparable players and see if they can perform at a higher level. Kunkel and Tandy are very similar skillsets. Kunk didn't have his shot falling today. Was almost the hero once again but wasn't. Tandy was shooting well beyond the shot that was blocked. He should have been in late in the game. Neither plays great defense. Kunkel probably plays with more effort on defense but effort without execution is a moral victory and should have little impact on game time decision making. It is a tie breaker, nothing more.

The team is fun to watch this year and that is a huge change from the prior couple years. Creighton and X shot poorly. There is no reason to panic but hopefully the team realizes that depending on the deep ball is risky. Free needs to realize he needs to take defenders more seriously and we need to develop a better inside outside flow. Odom would have helped with flow as he is a legit point. Jones and Scruggs are capable but not true PGs.

Shot selection in a game that went from hot to cold was questionable down the stretch. Hard to callout Johnson given his shooting % but I'd say he took 1 3 that I'd like to have back. Kunk definitely took a couple and 1 late that, from results say he should not have been shooting. He is a bit interesting as he has some wild misses but then goes off. Shooters tend to miss more closely than he does but there is no denying he is a shooter. Carter had to take that 3 in the corner but I certainly didn't want him shooting that shot.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:26 pm

Actually Anti, my comment was on all 10 players. No one was shooting well. The fact that Creighton wasn't shooting well was key to being confident that Tandy was the right man for the job.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:37 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:58 pm
muskieman wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:47 pm
madness31 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:43 pm
The comment on Carter to stop shooting was also when he took the 3 with 1 second on the shot clock. Moderators may want to give the poster a week vacation for that comment.

The general point is correct that Carter should limit his shooting.
every board needs a contrarian and we have a couple in sky and anti.
You miss the point Insanity. Carter's body of work on threes merits him ceasing them. Stats don't like, kind of like your incessant circular logic.

Mman, contrarian to whom? I'm a contrarian to a "leader" who told the nation to consume bleach as an antidote to Covid, and those who coddled violent protestors and social anarchists. Insightful objectivity and balance is a good thing.

On cue, another miss by someone on a three. Delirious probably loved that. BTW, did Tandy and Kunkel go to shower early?
ever heard of a hopeless cause...look in the mirror. We know where your insanity comes from. Carter was 0-5 but didn't force any Kunkel was 1-6 and Nate was 2-8. Two made from any of them one of them down the end of the game and we have a pile-up on the floor. Not much from Wilcher and we need Odom back. Three ball shooting didn't travel well for anyone.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:49 pm

madness31 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:24 pm
It was nice to be ranked for 1 game.

Aside from bad officiating, this was poorly coached.

Scruggs had 3 straight 20+ point games. X built a double digit lead on Scruggs and Johnson play. Scruggs get sat for an extended period and doesn't see the floor again until the team is on a meltdown.

I agree with resting Scruggs to keep him fresh but when the lead started to evaporate, he needs to get back on the floor. Additionally this Tandy/Kunkel lineup is just stupid. That needs to end. Neither is good at handling the basketball and neither has proven the ability to get in the lane on a consistent basis. Both are valuable players to the team but are not a good pairing.

It is difficult to find minutes for everyone and almost impossible to know who will have the hot hand. At some point it makes sense to pick a preferred lineup and backup rotation and deviate only when things are not going as planned. find the weak link, sub in comparable players and see if they can perform at a higher level. Kunkel and Tandy are very similar skillsets. Kunk didn't have his shot falling today. Was almost the hero once again but wasn't. Tandy was shooting well beyond the shot that was blocked. He should have been in late in the game. Neither plays great defense. Kunkel probably plays with more effort on defense but effort without execution is a moral victory and should have little impact on game time decision making. It is a tie breaker, nothing more.

The team is fun to watch this year and that is a huge change from the prior couple years. Creighton and X shot poorly. There is no reason to panic but hopefully the team realizes that depending on the deep ball is risky. Free needs to realize he needs to take defenders more seriously and we need to develop a better inside outside flow. Odom would have helped with flow as he is a legit point. Jones and Scruggs are capable but not true PGs.

Shot selection in a game that went from hot to cold was questionable down the stretch. Hard to callout Johnson given his shooting % but I'd say he took 1 3 that I'd like to have back. Kunk definitely took a couple and 1 late that, from results say he should not have been shooting. He is a bit interesting as he has some wild misses but then goes off. Shooters tend to miss more closely than he does but there is no denying he is a shooter. Carter had to take that 3 in the corner but I certainly didn't want him shooting that shot.
bad 3-point shooting from both teams. Their top shooters Zegarowski and Ballock were combined 3-14. They had 6 blocks and X had three. The foul trouble we had inside was a problem. I am surprised that X and CU were held to under 70 points based on their averages.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:52 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:06 pm
madness31 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:55 pm
No one is playing well on offense for either team. Put Tandy in. He was making shots.
Wow! The statement that all four X players are playing poorly on offense is damning! Based on your logic, I as a moderator should ban you for a month! No worries, I feel generous on the eve of Festivus.
Don't worry Anti's perceived moderator status is a false narrative. You are safe Maddness, anti is just trying to stay relevant in his own mind.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:54 pm

madness31 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:24 pm

One hopes, as we go deeper into the season, that Steele will get a better handle on rotations. This early I get it if Steele doesn't have a feel for who should play together. We have a bunch of shooters so its understandable, I think, that we have developed an insatiable lust for the three ball. But, we've got to get over it. We have decent Bigs so there ought to be some layup opportunities with effective interior passing. I didn't see much of that today.

A couple of questions for the board............

1. Anybody count "kills" today?
2. I like some of the things Carter does but I just don't feel good when he is in the game late. It isn't only about offensive production but Carter has been such a horrible shooter---he clanks free throws; he bricks short jump hooks (unlike Theo John) and I don't think he can make an open three to save his life. Still, what are our alternatives? Have we seen enough of Stanley to imagine he can take Carter's late game minutes or is Stanley a defensive liability?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:20 pm

One big thing missing today. One that even our negative nabobs declared last year was X's problem. X need ODOM back. He is a great creator for our players.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:26 pm

McDermott took Scruggs and Freemantel out of the game. Our bigs need to finish at the rim and not get the ball ten feet away from the hoop. Running a play for a three at the end of the game for Carter just shows how far Steele still has regarding end of game management.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”