Figure this team out???

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
joeabe

Figure this team out???

Postby joeabe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:21 pm

Maybe they feel as though the "pressure is off" to win the BE, go to the dance etc?? They sure as heck looked much more relaxed and confident against the best team in the conference. I cannot figure it out.....They used their strength and athleticism not so much FT skill or ball handling. I really liked the fight in them from coach on down!!
DannyV76

Re: Figure this team out???

Postby DannyV76 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:41 pm

I think, like most Xavier fans, I've always thought this year's team had enough talent and bodies to get back to the Tournament, but wondered what the right formula was. From Coach Steele's and Tyrique's post game comments, I now believe Tyrique can be that senior leader to get us there. Even before Saturday I thought he was been much more focused with better intensity the last few games now.
Also was happy Q got pulled in the second half when his play was reverting back to the bad Q stuff. His play has also picked up the last two games and IMHO X will need 15-25 solid minutes a game from him if X wants to go where we're all hoping to go.
Sports in general can sure be funny to figure out sometimes.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:58 pm

I don't think you can really figure much out from one game. Truth is X shot the ball better than what they have been doing most of the year, and SH shot the ball very badly, particularly from 3. You do not typically see that relationship on the other team's court, but it happens. If they can string a number of games together where they shoot the ball above average and hold their own on the glass, they'll be in games. If they go back to missing shots, all bets are off. Particularly away from home, it's not likely they'll see a lot of what happened Saturday.
DannyV76

Postby DannyV76 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:26 am

Well the beat goes on for Tyrique and our Muskies last night. They flashed up his rebound totals the last 5 games now, all in double figures and averaging something like 15 per game in this stretch. He is playing like a man possessed. You can just look at his eyes and can tell he is very focused, a man on a mission.
Really hope the Cintas crowd gets loud Saturday night against the Friars and gives the guys a boost. Lots on the line and this team has earned that these last two games.
DannyV76

Postby DannyV76 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:11 pm

Another Monster game from the new Beast of the East, another win for our surging Muskies. 14 points 18 rebounds to go with 4 assists against a very strong physical Providence team. Cintas crowd led by the student section really brought it last night, second best of the season only to the UC game. I say it's on to Indy Wednesday night and let's win there!
26+6=1

Postby 26+6=1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:14 am

Over the years, at the start of a game, X has been confident that they would win. We didn't always, that's for sure, but we had that confidence.
I would say that this has been missing in this team right from the start and it would be absolutely great if the recent win streak has changed that!

26+6=1
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:02 am

Agree with you 26 etc. As an old Naptown guy, it sure would feel great to beat Butler. We used to live in their neighborhood, and I would fly model airplanes off their vast parking lot.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”