Creighton Game Thread 1-12-19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Michigan Musketeer

Re: Creighton Game Thread 1-12-19

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:20 pm

Better Coaching & better shooters usually win. A lot of season left to turn it around but doesn’t look good for the home team.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:36 pm

What did you(X Basketball) do last year. Nothing. What have you(X basketball) done (for X or the fan base) lately??? Nothing. The overall stats are bad. Rebuilding every few years with new coaches does not always work. Not working at all this past 2 years. Players follow coaches and winners. I hope they can turn this season around but i doubt it.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:35 pm

Michigan Musketeer wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:20 pm
Better Coaching & better shooters usually win. A lot of season left to turn it around but doesn’t look good for the home team.
I concur. Unfortunately, neither of which you mentioned seems to be anywhere on the horizon.
Last edited by Anti-Homer on Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:41 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:36 pm
What did you(X Basketball) do last year. Nothing. What have you(X basketball) done (for X or the fan base) lately??? Nothing. The overall stats are bad. Rebuilding every few years with new coaches does not always work. Not working at all this past 2 years. Players follow coaches and winners. I hope they can turn this season around but i doubt it.
X has been spoiled in the last three decades. Skip, as great as a guy as he was, was not a very good coach. X hit the lotto with three coaches who succeeded him. I think Steele is a nice guy and great recruiter. Though the jury is still out, I think some serious questions remain after his first year and a half, which is trending downward. Plenty of season to turn it around though. He seemingly was a great offensive coordinator. Many of the latter have failed in the big chair. Not saying he will, but I'd hate to see what Vegas' odds would be.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:00 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:35 pm
Michigan Musketeer wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:20 pm
I concur. Unfortunately, either of which you mentioned seems to be anywhere on the horizon.
One thing that is not encouraging is they've been out rebounded the past two games both at home. This team does not shoot the ball well enough to be out rebounded particularly at home. I think that's one of the reasons he's real reluctant to zone. If they do not turn that trend around in short order it will be a struggle. It's tough offensively as Carter right now appears to be one if not the best option on the perimeter. However, it's hard to put him away from the bucket as this team is just not that big and strong underneath. Freemantle is a solid kid for a frosh, but he appears to have somewhat hit the proverbial frosh wall the past several games. They also need that trend to turnaround real quick. It will be interesting to see how he fares next year when they need him for 25 or 30 minutes. It would help if he could step up in conference play. The likelihood of adding offensive punch on the perimeter is iffy.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:47 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:15 pm
I still predict a win in spite of Steele and Q.
I bet you never thought that Jones would mail in his performance in the second half. He sat and stewed the second half and when he came in he didn't go after any 50-50 balls. He walked around the huddle on the sidelines and just seemed to be upset. Q sat the second half and the team had no offensive direction and played worse than the first half but I understand TS needed to shake things up, but it didn't work. I watched Carter shoot two-three balls that when they left his hand had no chance of going in and I though did those slip out of his hand or what. Carter and Jones just are not Jones and Hankins. Same with Moore as his threes seem to be always over or under. With Q, Moore and KyKy's three-point shooting so poorly on wide-open shots, it looked early on that the team was not going to beat CU. Naji tried to put the team on his back but fumbled the ball when they were within 3 and it went downhill after that. Jones was gassed he was playing so hard in the second half but he and Naji dribbled without purpose at times. To add to the poor play, the bench gave them nothing today. In the end, Naji and Paul were the only ones that acted like this was an important game.

The only good thing was the Hall of fame recipients Justin Dolleman and Michael Hawkins while their introduction was nice the seats they gave Michael Hawkins and his wife was a disgrace, in my opinion. My son did get the Boston and X jerseys that Mike gave him about 23 years ago and we were able to have a good visit with Mike, his wife, and his mom and dad and mother-in-law and father-law,

TS needs to get this ship righted because Marquette on the road looks like another loss if not.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:24 pm

Give Scruggs the ball and Tandy at the two and let Q earn his minutes because he can’t shoot and his D has been terrible. Why was Jones complaining? Unless he dunks it he has problems scoring. Time for some tough love. Steele is almost as soft as our team
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:20 pm

Hopefully Marshall & Scruggs need to show some leadership and get some help from the other piayers. Will someone remind Jones that a dunk is only 2Pts & quit celebrating everyone. What is with Scruggs the best 3Pt shooter taking only one 3Pt shot out of 26? Carter is playing better but I thought Moore and the Freshman (now 2) would show more off the bench. I thought last year was bad but this is shaping up to be worse only (17) games into the season.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:33 am

skyhops wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:24 pm
Give Scruggs the ball and Tandy at the two and let Q earn his minutes because he can’t shoot and his D has been terrible. Why was Jones complaining? Unless he dunks it he has problems scoring. Time for some tough love. Steele is almost as soft as our team
I've noticed Jones body language as well, and was a little bit puzzled by it. I'm guessing he's not please with his touches, and the offense not going thru him? He's not the ideal big kid to run an offense through as he's a bit undersized and not exactly a great distributor for a bid kid. However, i would concede that if i was in his shoes and the 3 pg's are 1/14 from 3 i could see where he's lost confidence in the offense and his role in it. Therein may lie the best course of action to get some better offensive distribution. However, he's going to have to bust his butt to get open and make good decisions with the ball. Interesting year to say the least.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:55 am

No sense piling on. The Coach maybe just said it best, "Interesting Year"... Yesterday's results were disappointing on several levels. As AH mentioned on another thread, everyone needs to resist crossing lines when critiquing individual players so it does not become personal or disrespectful. We have all dissected the rebounding, shot selection, effort, etc woes. They would not seem so glaring were we in a slightly less talented league. I know the boys and coaches are trying. Plenty of season left, but this Creighton result was a clear step in the wrong direction. My hope is, that no matter the W's and L's from here, that the team stays focused and united and on goal. This current spell will test team chemistry and leadership. Time will tell, nothing else...

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”