St. John's Game Thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
ChitownSteve

Re: St. John's Game Thread

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:45 pm

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:20 pm
Tandy shooting six 3’s is a problem. He shoots 28%. Need a better offensive scheme that doesnt require us to bomb from downtown all game. I think that part of his game can grow but those are low percentage tries (even on a night he lucked out at 4 of 6).
Maybe to the contrary. With Bishop exiting, he is getting more rotations in practice and on the court. Such leads to more confidence and the return of his shot.

Coach Steee noted he can be “explosive offensively.” He entered X with a reputation as a good three point shooter. Tandy is now shooting 37.0% from beyond the arc.

Let’s see how he performs going forward and enjoy the fact X may have found a contributor today.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:28 pm

ChitownSteve wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:45 pm
Jesseandrippers wrote:
Tandy shooting six 3’s is a problem. He shoots 28%. Need a better offensive scheme that doesnt require us to bomb from downtown all game. I think that part of his game can grow but those are low percentage tries (even on a night he lucked out at 4 of 6).
Maybe to the contrary. With Bishop exiting, he is getting more rotations in practice and on the court. Such leads to more confidence and the return of his shot.

Coach Steee noted he can be “explosive offensively.” He entered X with a reputation as a good three point shooter. Tandy is now shooting 37.0% from beyond the arc.

Let’s see how he performs going forward and enjoy the fact X may have found a contributor today.
Make that TWO
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
pki1998

Postby pki1998 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:14 pm

Really impressed with the effort by James today! Hopefully this was his breakthrough game.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:57 am

Jesseandrippers wrote:
ummmmm, he's our best 3 point shooter. i don't care what his %'s say. he has the green light. he's the only who should. they weren't "luck".

keep taking them KyKy.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:59 am

pki1998 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:14 pm
Really impressed with the effort by James today! Hopefully this was his breakthrough game.
i concur. love seeing dudes who wait for their opportunity and then take it when they get the chance. not saying he was unreal but he brought ENERGY when he was on the floor. that's huge. hope it increases his confidence and helps him to become that stretch 4 who can knock down some treys that we desperately need.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:07 am

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:57 am
Jesseandrippers wrote:
ummmmm, he's our best 3 point shooter. i don't care what his %'s say. he has the green light. he's the only who should. they weren't "luck".

keep taking them KyKy.
I remember when a player missed his first two shots and was shooting 0% He ended the year with a .326 from the three stat 5th best on the team so with your logic he should never shoot again. Good thing Trevon never took that advice
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:52 pm

Plenty to worry about, but a win is a win..! Almost a reverse of the Nova game, in that, the Johnnies played well enough to win but simply could not buy a "3" while X was knocking a decent amount down. As for JC, hell, the kid tries. If you notice, early on, Naji and the boys made the extra pass to Jason for two wide open three's. Brick, air ball, then that well dried up.... I was impressed with St. John's. Gone are the days we have a distinct coaching advantage. Q looked rough but ended the game I believe with just 1 TO, impressive. Need to get Moore back and playing healthy & confident. Tandy & James were heroes off the bench. As stated at top, it's a freaking "W", so we celebrate and get ready for the next war on Wednesday. One thing I appreciate is our guys seem to play hard and ni
ce overall team spirit. All teams have issues to iron out, long season.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:47 am

muskieman wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:20 pm
skyhops wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:14 pm
One of our most seasoned teams and they have 10 turnovers in the first 12 minutes? So sloppy, how about Steele reiterating to get the ball to Jones that has turned out okay
except for his foul shooting.
Mman,

Sadly your penchant of turning lemonade into lemons continues.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:54 am

ChitownSteve wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:38 pm
Okay ... I will say it again .... COACH STEELE, NAJI MARSHALL CANNOT HANDLE THE BALL UP TOP AND THE END OF A HALF! HE IS A TURNOVER MACHINE!

There, I said it.
I, my brothers, son, nephews, and most of the monks in Mongolia agree.

It's fine to have Marshall take the shot, but run a play, let him catch it at the elbow, and attack. He is a turnover machine, and that charge coming was as obvious as Sumner's charge against Wisky (though my nephew swears it was a block), five years ago. Three guys collapsed on him, which meant there were two open teammates. A pass, and having Tandy in for Goodin would have been excellent choices.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:01 am

Jesseandrippers wrote:
He apparently was an excellent shooter in high school, and according to Steele, the best shooter on the team by far. His 28% was based on a limited sample size. He has an excellent shooting stroke, and is comfortable with catch and shoot and off the dribble jumpers. He adds an element which is direly needed by X. The ceiling just got higher for the team, and will continue to when Hop's favorite player JC regains his form from OU.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”