Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 22046
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 pm

X4LIFE wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:10 pm
Maybe I did muskieman. And they were the last team in, had favorable matchups in the first and second round won, got some confidence and made the elite 8. Like I said they are going nowhere fast right now and if they don’t get a favorable matchup they will lose in the first round. I don’t think that’s a wrong assessment. It’s an honest one.
made on what the last two games? You must really have jumped off the Zona band wagon after their three losses if you were a zona fan
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
madness31
Posts: 2008
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby madness31 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Generally top 10 and even top 25 teams do not get blown out. X might not be a top 25 team if Tre can't play efficient.

Of course that doesn't excuse the prior teams that have consistently been blown out by Nova. This gets back to coaching. Most top 25 and especially top 10 teams have very good coaches. The coaches make adjustments on the offensive and/or defensive ends to keep competitive. X doesn't do that. They stick with a losing game plan because that is what they know.
thecoach
Posts: 1218
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby thecoach » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 pm

I guess there are a number of ways to look at the game tonight. I never expected they would win, but they were humiliated. They build this game up each year like it's a big match up and again we didn't show up even for a run. Observations:

-Scruggs is absolutely awful defensively. He better be able to score a LOT because he will give up a lot of points.
-Do the faithful who believe Macura is an Nba player still want to stick with that?
-Naji played well considering the others, but also defensively needs a lot of schooling
-To bad Kanter is a 1 year guy
-1/3/1 against Nova, wtf
-Is Tb hurting, or are his averages coming back to his first 3 years?

You have to forget that game, but overall defensively this team really struggles against teams who attack them.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 4797
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 pm

If you don't want to get even more depressed, do NOT look at the respective recruits for both teams next year.
X-Expert
Posts: 1954
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby X-Expert » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:23 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:12 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 pm
olsingledigit wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 pm
For all of Mack’s accomplishments and they are many he cannot come within 20at Nova.
Agreed. I think he'd give up 20% of his salary to take Nova off the schedule. It's not even that he can't beat them. It's that it's not even a competition.
I guess everyone has their nemesis. Chris is our best coach ever and I am sure he loses more sleep over Nova than I do. It is even more frustrating in thatnlesser teams like Butler play very well against them. We are their Dayton.
Good call but at least Dayton would beat X at home. X has beaten Nova in BE at home I believe one time. This is Bengals vs Steelers stuff in last 5 years. Even Bengals have close games against them. Nova just a much better team. Their top 5 ranked are better than Xs top 5. Brunson over Bluitt, Miles over Macura, etc We win the bench
X4LIFE
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby X4LIFE » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:27 pm

muskieman wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 pm
X4LIFE wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:10 pm
Maybe I did muskieman. And they were the last team in, had favorable matchups in the first and second round won, got some confidence and made the elite 8. Like I said they are going nowhere fast right now and if they don’t get a favorable matchup they will lose in the first round. I don’t think that’s a wrong assessment. It’s an honest one.
made on what the last two games? You must really have jumped off the Zona band wagon after their three losses if you were a zona fan
I am a Mack fan, a Miller fan, a Matta fan, a Prosser fan, a Gillen fan. I am a fan of all current and former X coaches. And I’m a fan of X. Just because I am a fan does not mean I cannot think critically. And right now this team is in dire straits. And they better get their heads right quick.
thecoach
Posts: 1218
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby thecoach » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 pm

This team isn't in dire straits, the faithful have just gotten ahead of themselves in expectations. Going into the conference season we had really one strong road win at Wisconsin and they have now lost what 9 or 10 games? Best win is likely Uc and it was at home in their first road game. How good was the start, very good, but not as great when held under a microscope. I'll be most curious to see how we shoot the ball the rest of the season. %'s tend to even out. Hopefully this team hasn't shot it's best ball early, as defense is not likely to be it's strong suit.
mumuskie87
Posts: 11396
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby mumuskie87 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:45 pm

thecoach wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 pm
This team isn't in dire straits, the faithful have just gotten ahead of themselves in expectations. Going into the conference season we had really one strong road win at Wisconsin and they have now lost what 9 or 10 games? Best win is likely Uc and it was at home in their first road game. How good was the start, very good, but not as great when held under a microscope. I'll be most curious to see how we shoot the ball the rest of the season. %'s tend to even out. Hopefully this team hasn't shot it's best ball early, as defense is not likely to be it's strong suit.
Yep. No reason to jump off the ledge just yet. But might want to glance at the window to see it is unlatched.
If you want to see some folks jumping off the ledge, go read comments on the Butler Hoops blogs. After beating Nova, they have lost 3 straight, albeit to 3 decent teams. It's all relative.
Lot of ball to played - 13 conference games - 7 at home and 6 on the road.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
X-Expert
Posts: 1954
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby X-Expert » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:45 pm

thecoach wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 pm
This team isn't in dire straits, the faithful have just gotten ahead of themselves in expectations. Going into the conference season we had really one strong road win at Wisconsin and they have now lost what 9 or 10 games? Best win is likely Uc and it was at home in their first road game. How good was the start, very good, but not as great when held under a microscope. I'll be most curious to see how we shoot the ball the rest of the season. %'s tend to even out. Hopefully this team hasn't shot it's best ball early, as defense is not likely to be it's strong suit.
great comment. Was thinking today looking at their "quality wins". Wisconsin isn't good and I believe Northern Iowa is like 0-4 in their league. Marquette and Butler are good wins and they have to beat Creighton this weekend. Kanter has been a huge surprise after seeing his first four games
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 22046
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 pm

madness31 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:21 pm
Generally top 10 and even top 25 teams do not get blown out. X might not be a top 25 team if Tre can't play efficient.

Of course that doesn't excuse the prior teams that have consistently been blown out by Nova. This gets back to coaching. Most top 25 and especially top 10 teams have very good coaches. The coaches make adjustments on the offensive and/or defensive ends to keep competitive. X doesn't do that. They stick with a losing game plan because that is what they know.
hard to change a game plan built around your two most prolific scorers and one that can add significant points from the three point line all who have an off night. Do you go away from what brought you to the dance? Do you tell Tre to stop shooting because you just play into the other teams hands when you bind the hands of your stars. X played man to man and they scored on us, went to the 1-3-1 and the 2-3 at times with little success, why because nova was being Nova and were shooting the ball .....do you have a defense that would have stopped Nova....didn't think so! They had three stars shoot well tonight Booth, Bridges and Brunson ...which one would your D have stopped. X beat them on the boards, even the O boards but shot 41%to 55% madness you have the same line every loss while forgetting that X has 15 wins. I am not satisfied with the loss tonight but I look to the larger picture while you just wanted to brag tomorrow at work and the guys didn't give you the chance.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests