It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:40 pm

Board index » Xavier Basketball Chatboards » Xavier Men's Basketball All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: X 23rd in new AP poll
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:40 pm 

UC gets 5 votes/pts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

Andrew hates Duke.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: X 23rd in new AP poll
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:44 pm 

Looks like K-State is primed to pass Xavier in the polls. That would be pretty ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:47 pm 

that would be ridiculous, but we just need to take care of business this week and the rest will take care of itself. would be nice to see Creighton beat drake this week and take control of the MVC this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:11 pm 

GoMuskies wrote:
Looks like K-State is primed to pass Xavier in the polls. That would be pretty ridiculous.

How exactly is that? Because they got some votes??? We should want them to get ranked -- it will make our win look even better. And even if they do pass us (which not only would require them to keep winning but for us to lose), that's not at all unusual. Using your logic, I presume if Temple gets hot they should pass us because they crushed us?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:43 pm 

It will make only the second time that both Xavier and Dayton were ranked when they met. Previously, Feb 22, 2003, #14 XU beat #25 UD, at the UD Arena, 73-72

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:57 pm 

I'm actually OK with where we are. Give or take a few spots, we're somewhere between 15-25.

Again, my only objection is that Xavier has done enough this year with the schedule to gain credibility. It has been proven. Xavier is 5-3 in road/neutral games and has played a Top 15 schedule. A couple of big margin losses? Yes, but people have to adjust the thinking a bit about that. The 3 point field goal will make some games look a lot worse and change the outcome. Other than the Top 10, who hasn't had at least one big blowout? Marquette has done nothing to earn the type of pass that they're getting.

If you are going to be involved in voting in the poll, is it too much to go on kenpom or real time rpi and do a little homework?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:08 pm 

Compare this Katz statement with what Dinich said:

Katz today in weekly watch:

"For A&M fans, do not grow too weary of your road struggles. Look at the road records of Marquette, Louisville, Ole Miss and others who struggle on the road and are still top 20 type of teams despite sub-par road performances in conference play. In fact, BOTH of the last two Saturdays have produced 22-8 records for home BCS conference teams in conference games."

Dinich:

"Despite its win, Xavier (15-4 overall, 3-1 Atlantic 10) didn't exactly look like a top-20 team, let alone one in the top five...."

"....George Washington -- a team with losses to UMBC, Fordham and Binghamton (yes, these are basketball teams, not short-season A-ball clubs) -- gave Xavier fits.

Expect more of that. (What? Why? This is a Dinich opinion)

There are still questions that need to be answered -- mainly about consistency -- because Xavier isn't going to be able to rely on its November and December wins after floundering in Philadelphia on Jan. 16 in a 78-59 loss to Temple...."

Katz gives a pass to the Big Six teams. Dinich jumps all over XU, and by association GW, after a WIN. It is, and remains BS.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:36 pm 

I am just glad to see the pollsters did not drop us like a lead zeppelin. I think we are getting respect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:00 pm 

Masterofreality wrote:
Katz gives a pass to the Big Six teams. Dinich jumps all over XU, and by association GW, after a WIN. It is, and remains BS.

MOR, Big 6 teams get passes. That's the landscape. We all know it. I don't know that they don't deserve it. We complain all the time about our bottom-feeder teams like SBU, and how they drag out conference down (and us, by implication). Well if that's true (and it is) then we need to freakin' OWN them when we play them. And while Temple's actually a respectable team relatively speaking, we need to avoid losses to anyone who doesn't "count" to the opinion-makers, which basically means anyone outside the Big 6, Gonzaga, Memphis, BYU, Creighton, or a RANKED A-10 opponent.

Perhaps it's unfair. I don't really know. But it is what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:26 pm 

Dinich:

"Despite its win, Xavier (15-4 overall, 3-1 Atlantic 10) didn't exactly look like a top-20 team, let alone one in the top five...."

"....George Washington -- a team with losses to UMBC, Fordham and Binghamton (yes, these are basketball teams, not short-season A-ball clubs) -- gave Xavier fits.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If he thinks this about a Xavier win he must really be hitting UNC with their loss to a team that has been beaten by power teams like Virginia Commonwealth, Ohio, American University and could only beat Northeastern by 2 and Hampton by 6.

Board index » Xavier Basketball Chatboards » Xavier Men's Basketball All times are UTC - 5 hours