It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:41 am

Board index » Xavier Basketball Chatboards » Xavier Men's Basketball All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Change the rotation
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:43 pm 

You are correct, sir, and I stand by my statements still. As with Stanley, Finn was our best perimeter defender, and his shot, unfortunately went south his senior year. His being kicked off the team had nothing to do with his abilities on the court. Finn was willing to sacrifice his offense to become a better defender. I will not bash the kid like you want to, but he did have obvious off-court issues.

I'm putting no words in anyone's mouth, but to suggest that the team is better off without Stanley Burrell on the court at any time is ludicrous. If you're somehow trying to pick a fight, it ain't happening. I'll just trust the decisions of the Xavier Head Basketball Coach.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:12 pm 

Trust the decisions of Xavier's head basketball coach? Well, Miller was quoted in Saturday's Enquirer as saying that Stan needs to stop passing up open shots. Bryon and Joe said the same thing during the game. All I'm suggesting is maybe the following rotations (or some version thereof) may be effective:

Drew/Stan/Duncan/Brown/Love
Drew/Stan/Brown/CJ/Duncan
Stan/BJ/CJ/Brown/Duncan
Drew/BJ/CJ/Brown/Love

And Graves and Jackson where it makes sense. Just don't expose our inability to shoot the three by having Stan, Brown, CJ, and Love on the floor at the same time.....it will be exploited.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:17 pm 

MuskieSuperFan wrote:
I dont know what the solution is here, but I will say that I think BJ needs to play for longer spans.. I think his productivity would be even higher if he was on the floor longer. It just doesnt make sense to me to keep moving a shooter in and out the game. It seems like that might affect ones touch. Thankfully B.J. is just that good that it hasn't hurt us that much, but I do think keeping him in the game longer might help us.

Keep in mind that as a jump shooters need fresh legs to be effective. I like the idea of spelling BJ to keep him fresh for the whole game. His ability to shoot at the end of games with fresh legs is priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:28 am 

I had my problem with Stan's tendency to just fire up ill addvised shots in the past. I must admidt, I wouldlike to see stan taking some more shots. He has earned the right with his D and smart play to do this. When he has shot this year his shot selection has been good and his shot mechanics have looked better than I have ever seen. But that is my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:08 am 

sweet16 wrote:
Masterofreality wrote:
Stan held Mo Rice to 3 points when he was guarding him head on head last night. Rice scored 22 total. His defensive job had as much to do with XU's win as anything else. Rice was going off in the 1st half.

If you think that Stan should have been pulled last night because he didn't score enough, you're smoking something illegal.

If I remember correctly you're the one who defended Finn up until the point he was kicked off the team. You consistently preached about how difficult the point position was to play and what a great job Finn was doing. Many of us who attend every game saw a point guard who was incredibly slow off the dribble and a player who was a cancer to the team. So please, be open to other's observations and don't put words in my mouth.......I never said he should be benched. I'm just suggesting that it may be helpful to have a rotation that mitigates Stan's inability to score from the outside. Love, Brown, CJ, Stan and Drew on the court at the same time provides only one outside threat....Drew. So maybe Duncan gets more minutes (Brown/CJ sits) when Stan is in. Maybe BJ spells Stan (instead of CJ) for a few minutes. Again, just make sure the rotation keeps more than one outside shooter on the floor as much as possible.

First When did defending Finn exclude you from defending Stan?

Second, when Stan has been running the point or the #2 when Jackson is in there has more often than you think either a maintaining of the lead or a extending of the lead. In fact in a few games it was pointed out on this board, well the old board, that the lead grew when Drew was sitting on the bench. It did not make Drew the object of criticism because Drew did his job and so is Stan. Sean stated at the Butler county steak fry when asked about the backup to Drew that backups don't need to extend a lead but maintain it while the starter rests. Sean also stated on a recent post game show that Stan's game has improved to the point that has made him the best Stanley Burrell player he has been at X. Sure we all want him to score so does Sean but not at the expense of the other parts of his game for now. Would it be nice if Stan found his shooting touch yes because it would make X more potent but remember the last few years when X struggled because Doellman didn't have he touch...Xavier lost but Stan D has kept X in games and help us win more games against tougher teams then when other outside threats played. I hope Stan finds his touch like Doellman and other s did as the season progressed because it means this team gets another lift but I am happy to see him penetrate and dish to BJ just as much as he has all season. Look at the game films and then tell me you want him to shoot more or sit on the bench when BJ is in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:39 pm 

bluegrass wrote:
Stan's defense has definetly become his strong point but it seems like people want to use that to cover up his offense.I'm not saying I want him shooting 15 times a game.We don't need that but we can't have him passing up wide open looks.He is too unselfish.I think he has lost some confidence.I'd like to see him drive to the basket more if he doesn't want to shoot the three.He'll usually get fouled and he's a great foul shooter.

Alright, this is getting flat-out ridiculous. It's not just his defense. Stan has become a complete player this year and it's about damn time he is given credit for it. He very rarely passes up open shots. He does, however, pass up lightly contested shots when he thinks he can get a better shot with a pump-fake and dribble penetration. He's become an excellent ball-handler and a very good passer this year. In fact, he has more assists than Drew in A-10 play.

Look, I'd be happy as the next guy if he put up a 20-pt game on good shots while playing within the offense and maintaining defensive intensity. But with a plethora of other scorers, Stan has rightfully concentrated on other areas of concern for this team. I am quite happy with the growth in Stan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:18 pm 

"Complete player"......I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. See, I think you can completely dismiss a one game performance, and excuse a two game performance, but three straight games I believe is a trend. And over the last three games Stan has gone 1 for 8 on threes. Our shooting guard is averaging 2-1/2 threes per game? Believe me, I'm not saying bench SB.......I'm just suggesting that if he is not going to be productive from the arc then we may be better served having another shooter on the floor with him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:26 pm 

sweet16 wrote:
I'm just suggesting that if he is not going to be productive from the arc then we may be better served having another shooter on the floor with him.

And I'm just suggesting that when a lack of 3pt shooting becomes our problem (a problem I don't foresee in terms of attempts or makes), then maybe that matters. If anything, we shoot too many 3s. So I don't see the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:23 pm 

You don't see a problem....then maybe you're not looking close enough. Stan shoots 12% from the 3-pt line over the last three games and takes half the number of attempts as his previous three games and our offense in those games is anemic.....but you don't see a problem. Miller sees it. Burrell knows it. Don't take my word for it, read the attached and listen to both the radio and TV announcers:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... 90407/1065

No one is questioning SB's defensive effort or his unselfishness.....but to be a "complete player" he can't be afraid to shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:51 pm 

sweet16 wrote:
You don't see a problem....then maybe you're not looking close enough. Stan shoots 12% from the 3-pt line over the last three games and takes half the number of attempts as his previous three games and our offense in those games is anemic.....but you don't see a problem. Miller sees it. Burrell knows it. Don't take my word for it, read the attached and listen to both the radio and TV announcers:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... 90407/1065

No one is questioning SB's defensive effort or his unselfishness.....but to be a "complete player" he can't be afraid to shoot.

First, you can't take a single quote in an article and take it out of context. Does the coaching staff want Stan to shoot when he has an open shot? Of course. But you act like he's passing up 7-8 open shots a night, and that's just not true. It's maybe been 2 a game, and we've scored points on half those possessions because he passed up the shot to make a good pass. There's been one -- count 'em -- one incident in which Stan passed up an open jumper, pump-faked, dribble-penetrated, tried to get the ball down low to Jason Love, and turned it over against Temple. People are making way too much of that play. There is no doubt that Stan's looking to pass first, shoot later. He's trying to get us out of our bad habit of shooting too many 3s. We've got far more critical issues to worry about than Stan not shooting the ball. Seriously, this topic is played.

Board index » Xavier Basketball Chatboards » Xavier Men's Basketball All times are UTC - 5 hours