It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:05 am

Board index » Xavier Basketball Chatboards » Xavier Men's Basketball All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Change the rotation
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:01 pm 

It's becoming increasingly more clear that Stan is no longer an offensive threat from the outside and as a result our starting five struggles offensively because there is only one outside shooter on the floor (and it's probably asking alot to have your PG assume the shooting role as well). Change up the rotation so we always have at least two shooters on the floor at any given time and I think our offense will be much more effective.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Change the rotation
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:10 pm 

If I remember correctly Byron said something about this yesterday when Raymond came on the floor for him. BJ is our best outside shooter, but I believe Stan is shooting around 45% from three on the year, which is good enough to be a threat from deep. Problem is that he seems to be passing up a lot of shots that he should be taking.

I'm not really sure how Sean can change the rotation up, but I don't really think that we are in that bad of shape when it comes to outside shooting to begin with. BJ, Stan, Drew, and Josh are all threats from behind the arc. Graves and Jackson will become threats as well once they get more and more playing time.

god it sucks to be a flyer fan sometimes. it's like dating a hot chick that constantly cheats on you, but you're too dumb to walk away.

-joeybaloney

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:14 pm 

Not entirely a bad concept...only problem is that it means anytime Stan is on the court, it means that CJ cannot be. Since Stan plays 30+ minutes a game, you want CJ to play 10 mins or less? I guess you could move CJ to the 4, but that's an awfully small lineup for any significant amount of PT.

I hear you though. Stan's offense is key to this team, and unfortunately its not reliable. Graves ability to get in the game and contribute is also key.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:18 pm 

Folks, don't forget that Sean is more concerned with defense than offense necessarily. You must get stops. I say, keep the best two defenders on the perimeter on the floor at the same time. Just because Stanley isn't shooting that well right now, doesn't mean you take him out.

Don't forget that you can get easy and quick offense off of good defense- turnovers and steals. Trying to grind out a half court game for 40 minutes is tough. Luckily, many of XU's best defenders- Stan, BJ, CJ and even Drew are solid offensive threats as well. Getting easy baskets is a major need of this, and any good team.

The one position to watch on a rotation adjustment is the 5. Some games depending on matchups, JoDu is the best option, others will be Big Love. BL had some trouble with Diggs last night. Its a spot to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:01 pm 

I dont know what the solution is here, but I will say that I think BJ needs to play for longer spans.. I think his productivity would be even higher if he was on the floor longer. It just doesnt make sense to me to keep moving a shooter in and out the game. It seems like that might affect ones touch. Thankfully B.J. is just that good that it hasn't hurt us that much, but I do think keeping him in the game longer might help us.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:09 pm 

Stan's defense has definetly become his strong point but it seems like people want to use that to cover up his offense.I'm not saying I want him shooting 15 times a game.We don't need that but we can't have him passing up wide open looks.He is too unselfish.I think he has lost some confidence.I'd like to see him drive to the basket more if he doesn't want to shoot the three.He'll usually get fouled and he's a great foul shooter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:19 pm 

MOR, as usual, has it right. If you would bench Stan for becoming the Defensive stopper you would send a message that maybe Defense is not important. If all you want is high scorers (maybe a Loyola Marymount type team) then you have the wrong coach. Stan also yesterday was the player that attacked the D and if a few players would hang on to balls maybe he would have had more than 4 assists (which is not bad). We lose a game and we must find a scape goat so when we win a game we must find the "weak link". We play GW at their house the last few years and have be the only team to break their streaks. I am satisfied.

BTW if you think he has lost some confidence and think he can score the ball then sitting him as a starter is not going to help that confidence.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:13 pm 

Stan held Mo Rice to 3 points when he was guarding him head on head last night. Rice scored 22 total. His defensive job had as much to do with XU's win as anything else. Rice was going off in the 1st half.

If you think that Stan should have been pulled last night because he didn't score enough, you're smoking something illegal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:57 pm 

Saying Stan should play less is stupid. He is our best perimeter defender and his energy is needed on the floor at all times. This is a dumb conversation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:35 pm 

Masterofreality wrote:
Stan held Mo Rice to 3 points when he was guarding him head on head last night. Rice scored 22 total. His defensive job had as much to do with XU's win as anything else. Rice was going off in the 1st half.

If you think that Stan should have been pulled last night because he didn't score enough, you're smoking something illegal.

If I remember correctly you're the one who defended Finn up until the point he was kicked off the team. You consistently preached about how difficult the point position was to play and what a great job Finn was doing. Many of us who attend every game saw a point guard who was incredibly slow off the dribble and a player who was a cancer to the team. So please, be open to other's observations and don't put words in my mouth.......I never said he should be benched. I'm just suggesting that it may be helpful to have a rotation that mitigates Stan's inability to score from the outside. Love, Brown, CJ, Stan and Drew on the court at the same time provides only one outside threat....Drew. So maybe Duncan gets more minutes (Brown/CJ sits) when Stan is in. Maybe BJ spells Stan (instead of CJ) for a few minutes. Again, just make sure the rotation keeps more than one outside shooter on the floor as much as possible.

Board index » Xavier Basketball Chatboards » Xavier Men's Basketball All times are UTC - 5 hours