We should not panic with Travis Steele

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskiefan19

We should not panic with Travis Steele

Postby muskiefan19 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:19 am

jct1941

Re: We should not panic with Travis Steele

Postby jct1941 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:51 pm

I think that XU could have easily won two of the final games. We have to remember that Paul missed those games. If we win those ( 2 of 3) games we would have been at 21 wins. Losing at Providence (they were hot at the end of the season) and we lost by one to Butler and 4 to DePaul without Paul playing. Just saying we lost about 13 points in those games without Paul. I know that injuries are part of the game but it makes it tough without your second leading scorer in the last three games. Go Xavier!
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:39 am

muskiefan19 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:19 am
https://thebrokenanchor.com/is-it-time- ... is-steele/

What do you guys think?
First of all,

I’d like to say I believe in capitalism. When Muskieman received approval to sell his line of CBD products, I was thrilled for him. However, after reading this article, and finding out one of his customers are the folks from Broken Anchor (BA), I now feel he should have to put a disclaimer: No one should drive or write opinions within four hours of consuming his products. I had no idea who BA was prior to reading this article. Now I see that they are just college kids who are forwarding an opinion which is great, but the quality pales in comparison to Dana & Victory, who I don’t always agree with. Some whoppers of BA are as follows:

“Kyky Tandy has a chance to be one of the best scorers in the conference.” Kyky is a talented deep shooter, but he scored 7 points a game primarily by shooting treys, with the occasional downhill burst to the basket. He is a defensive dribbler who has difficulty going to his left. He lacks confidence dribbling the ball w/o the aid of screens, and often stopped his dribble 35 feet from the basket. Unfortunately, the pandemic limited his ability to work on this skill this summer. He will score more, because his minutes will increase, but I would be stunned if he ended up as one of the best scorers in the league, much less the team (Scruggs, Free, will lead). I think he’ll be in the mix with Carter, Johnson, & Stanley for being the 3rd leading scorer.

“Paul Scruggs is currently the most slept on player in the Big East, but he should be getting 15-20 a night.” The league knew how talented PS was, and I would bet if you polled the coaches, they would have named him as the most polished and capable offensive player on the team last year. I think the game against Nova at the end of 19’ among others showed it. I remember Jay Wright even saying the latter, as well as many commentators. PS is the most talented player on the team, and scored 13ppg last yr, but now he will be the focus of the offense. We saw how that worked for Marshall. His 16ppg per game was great on paper for X, but better for opponents on the court. He had a very high usage rate for someone with clear deficits in his offensive skill set: Poor shooter, high turnover rate, and mind boggling decision making. PS is a better shooter, but also had a high turnover rate. His bball IQ is better than Marshall’s; I’ll leave it at that. He scores well in the post, mid-range, and also from three point land, though needs time to get his shot off. However, he dribbles too high and wide, and like most X guards in recent memory, has difficulty dribbling in traffic without losing control. I think 15ppg is possible, but only if Free, Stanley, and Carter provide consistent low post scoring, Odom develops into a very effective facilitator (Kyky did not show that ability last year, and like Scruggs, is better off the ball), and the likes of Kyky, Wilcher, and others provide consistent outside shooting to balance out the scoring threats.

“I haven’t even mentioned other straight-up scorers like Dwon Odom, CJ Wilcher, and Jason Carter.” What? Odom is strictly a facilitator, who scored a lot because he blew by his high school defenders in the half court, and was unstoppable on the break. He was not recruited by anyone due to his shooting. The hope is that he can blow by players and get to the hole and score, or dish out like Sumner could. If he sits back and takes jumpers, the league will certainly accommodate him as they did with Marshall and Goodin last year.

Wilcher is known as a great shooter, but I think he will play Kyky’s role from last year: Provide an offensive spark off the bench as a three point shooter. He is not nearly as effective off the dribble, but hopefully will develop this part of his game. I hope I’m wrong, but unfortunately that hasn’t happened very often, especially since becoming a moderator.

Carter is a straight up scorer? I like Carter, but nah baby nah. To his defense, it is a hard transition going from being the alpha male to a role player, against much better competition. However, he missed more point blank shots than I can ever remember from an X player, and had no consistent shot (unlike Free, who was money with the short corner jumper). I’m still a fan, and expect a better year, but the bar ain’t high.

I’ve always said last year as the pitchforks came out that it was way too early to make any judgements on Steele. Clearly, he was hamstrung with two teams who lacked shooting prowess. However, you would have thought he still had Bluiett, Macura, and Gates on the team, with the “shoot when you pass half court” mentality the players had, including two of the worst shooters in the league in Goodin and Marshall. His recruiting has been exceptional, and this year, the team seems to have the balanced talent needed to compete for a top four spot in the BE. Assuming no injuries to critical players or other unusual circumstances, this and a safe tourney bid should be the expectation this year.

Seacrest Out.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:46 am

Carter is a straight up scorer? Carter played 30 mins a game and averaged less than 7 points and 5 boards and looked like a deer in the headlights against Big East competition. Counting on freshmen such as Wilcher and Odom to contribute immediately is not realistic. It is time for Steele to step up especially considering how much we underachieved the last few years. Just look at the preseason rankings vs the actual outcome.
sweet67

Postby sweet67 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:46 pm

The Broken Anchor is just awful.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:02 pm

jct1941 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:51 pm
I think that XU could have easily won two of the final games. We have to remember that Paul missed those games. If we win those ( 2 of 3) games we would have been at 21 wins. Losing at Providence (they were hot at the end of the season) and we lost by one to Butler and 4 to DePaul without Paul playing. Just saying we lost about 13 points in those games without Paul. I know that injuries are part of the game but it makes it tough without your second leading scorer in the last three games. Go Xavier!
JCT41 i get your post and do believe X has a much better chance with Paul. That said, X likely loses to St Johns at St Johns if their second best player was available. Needed a final shot by freemantle in last 15 seconds to win by one. GT had 3 of top 6 out in their loss to X. Early in the season. X lost to a poor team when Naji hit one of his 30 foot jumpers to send to OT. My point being yes Paul would have given them a better chance and maybe even win but X could have easily lost three other games. It usually all evens out. All said, losing to Depaul with or without Paul was an embarrassment.

edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:21 pm

Hello sweet67. If you are gonna be a critic, you should follow the rules. How exactly is Anchor "awful?" Cite specific instances. IMHO Anchor is a band of young, would-be journalists. They write about persons and events that are not of much interest to me. And yet I welcome their efforts. I think the quality of their writing and conceptualization is of fairly high quality. The remind me a lot of friends and classmates at Xavier who made careers for themselves in journalism and television news. Or, as some might say, Give 'Em A Break.
I'm done some journalism myself, at Xavier and in the Army. Today I post brilliant reviews at this website under the Heading: Movies, Music and Food. Check out my reviews. If you think they're awful, let me know. I have been insulted by the Best.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:37 pm

I'm discouraged by Steele but it is certainly too early to form a complete opinion. He did not have the appropriate personnel as mentioned by others but the team didn't play disciplined, high IQ basketball. Even with the wrong players, you should be able to mold the team. This year will go along way to forming an opinion on Steele. He has next year as well before anyone should panic but the team needs to go to the tournament this year to have any real hope that he is a good coach.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:56 am

I don’t think that the expectations or minimum requirement for THIS year should include any tournament talk. At present, there is an extremely high likelihood that X will be playing the toughest overall schedule that they have ever played. Gone are goiNg to be the chances to pad the win total by beating up on schools from lesser conferences. Virtually all of their games are going to be against either BE, or high level competition. X will counter this with 1 4-year player, 3-2nd year players, and a lot of prospects and suspects. (Transfers and Freshman). How anyone can have high EXPECTATIONS at this point is beyond me. HOPES? Sure, we can have hope. They are saying all the right things and based on what their potential is, we can certainly have hope. But this team may be far superior to last years team, and still not have as many wins as they did last year. For one thing, they are likely only going to play 23 games. Will a 13-10 record get them into the tourney next spring? 14-9? 12-11? Can we realistically expect them to go 15-8, or better? Personally, I’m just hoping that they PLAY BETTER and jell as a TEAM by the end of the year. If that doesn’t happen then I think the season will have to be deemed a failure. But I am HOPEFUL and slightly optimistic that it will happen. I think that Fremantle will develop as a leader and that Odom may well be the real deal on the court. I am hopeful that Tandy, injury free and with a year of adjustment behind him, can be the player we all hoped he could become. I’m hopeful that Scruggs will be a consistent double digit scorer and defender within a team concept and not by forcing shots. I’m hopeful that Miles will be a force defensively in the paint and that Carter will be a solid rebounder and scorer down low. But right now these are all hopes and dreams, not expectations. I expect to be disappointed by at least a few of them and have hope to be surprised by some of the others. I just hope my surprises are more than my disappointments. I’m keeping my expectations low for now.
#WHYNOTX?
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:28 pm

madness31 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:37 pm
I'm discouraged by Steele but it is certainly too early to form a complete opinion. He did not have the appropriate personnel as mentioned by others but the team didn't play disciplined, high IQ basketball. Even with the wrong players, you should be able to mold the team. This year will go along way to forming an opinion on Steele. He has next year as well before anyone should panic but the team needs to go to the tournament this year to have any real hope that he is a good coach.
I agree. I want to see Steele bring back the brand of basketball that X has thrived on in the past. Smart guard play, good outside shooting to open up a modest inside game with undersized athletes and disciplined defense. Unfortunately, Mack and now Steele are further deviating from this model. We cant shoot free throws, we miss defensive assignments and we have too much hero ball on offense. Im eager to see how Steele will continue to make adjustments this year.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”