Nova game thread 12/30/19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Nova game thread 12/30/19

Postby skyhops » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:39 pm

Musieman or AH I have a few questions that I would like for one of you to pass along to Coach Steele:

1) Why in world would you allow a 17 point run without calling a timeout? Jay Wright called two on smaller runs by X.
2) Does Carter have some compromising pics of you that he using as blackmail to play 37 mins with 4 points and 5 rebs? I know AH thinks Carter is the second coming of Tom Chambers, but id rather go small of give some mins to Zach who sat out most of the second half
3) please remind Naji that he is a terrible three point shoot and when we cut the lead to six that a 27 footer instead of driving is a terrible shot.
4) Can we figure out how to defend the high ball screen so Gillespie isn't guarded by our big or blowing past Q?
5) We need to find ways to get open looks for KyKy

Skyhops out
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:09 pm

I think Anti nailed it on Carter. He DEFERS too much, plus watch how many times he's calling for the ball cause he has room to shoot a three or maybe drive and he is ignored.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:43 pm

"I still think Marshall's ridiculous step back three, which had a probability of about 15% or less of going in, when a much better 3 point shooter was wide open was the key. Looking at twitter, several objective analysts agree. One said (can't remember who),"X comes down by six and misses an off balanced three. Nova comes down and calmly hits one." The gist of the rest was that's the difference between winning and losing in close ball games. Spot on, IMO."

The unfortunate result of hitting a very similar shot against i think Uconn if my memory is correct to get it to OT is that he will take that shot on several more occasions. It was similar last year as he had a "hot" spurt which actually convinces him that he is a good perimeter shooter. It was obviously not a good shot, and the announcers are going to jump all over it, but the same shot when it went in the announcers loved. Probably won't be the last time it happens this year. He's going to go our with a bang.....or maybe a thud.
Last edited by thecoach on Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:30 pm

Considering it was early in the shot clock and no one under for a rebound makes it worse plus Naji had been unstoppable going to the basket.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:53 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:30 pm
Considering it was early in the shot clock and no one under for a rebound makes it worse plus Naji had been unstoppable going to the basket.
Unfortunately i think the last thing he's thinking when he takes those shots is if anyone is around to rebound. LOL
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:26 am

I hear that Bishop is in the transfer portal, which doesn't surprise me or my sources. These transfers do not help our depth especially for years to come. Should we be worried about the development of some of our players in recent years?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:38 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:39 pm
Musieman or AH I have a few questions that I would like for one of you to pass along to Coach Steele:

1) Why in world would you allow a 17 point run without calling a timeout? Jay Wright called two on smaller runs by X. He always leaves timeouts in his pocket. It was a trait he inherited from his mentor. JW took one after X went on a 4 point run.

2) Does Carter have some compromising pics of you that he using as blackmail to play 37 mins with 4 points and 5 rebs? I know AH thinks Carter is the second coming of Tom Chambers, but id rather go small of give some mins to Zach who sat out most of the second half. I still like Carter, but some of his minutes should go to ZFree & Kyky. He defers too much.

3) please remind Naji that he is a terrible three point shoot and when we cut the lead to six that a 27 footer instead of driving is a terrible shot. Steele likes to talk tough during his Coach's show, but Marshall has immunity with regard to his ridiculous shot selection. That and turnovers is keeping him from being elite.

4) Can we figure out how to defend the high ball screen so Gillespie isn't guarded by our big or blowing past Q? I endorse this as well.

5) We need to find ways to get open looks for KyKy. I truly believe that some of the core four are reluctant to pass to him. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm about the 436th person who has noticed this.

Skyhops out
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:40 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:16 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:57 pm
muskieman wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:24 pm

to be accurate that same pass worked all game, including after that TO, but in this case Q pass into the post was open and then Saddiq Bey jumped the passing lane for the steal. BTW X was down 8 at that point but the real killer was the O rebound on the Samuels missed three which was kicked out to Gillespie for the three to go up 11. Bey made a three but the pass to him the guy, I think was Samuels, took a stutter step as he was passing the ball but a travel was not called. The thing about this game is you could point out three or four things in the last ten minutes which could have changed the game
to be accurate that same pass worked all game, including after that TO, but in this case Q pass into the post was open and then Saddiq Bey jumped the passing lane for the steal.
So you're saying if it is open once, twice, or three times, it will be open the 4th? The fact that X did pass into the post a fair amount should make Q even more vigilante in understanding that a defender will see the pattern, and anticipate the pass. If it was thrown higher, it probably wouldn't have been stolen. It was just a bad pass, pure and simple. It happens, and to your point, was one of several things which derailed a comeback.

I still think Marshall's ridiculous step back three, which had a probability of about 15% or less of going in, when a much better 3 point shooter was wide open was the key. Looking at twitter, several objective analysts agree. One said (can't remember who),"X comes down by six and misses an off balanced three. Nova comes down and calmly hits one." The gist of the rest was that's the difference between winning and losing in close ball games. Spot on, IMO.
I understand your aversion to being corrected Ah. Heck, it probably happens all too often in your life but some of us just want to set the record straight and help you become more perfect. I point you to the next time that the same pass came from the same part on the floor and which was successful. Why? because Jones was one on one and no one came to help as in the previous play which resulted in a TO. Sure you can say if the pass had been higher it would not have been intercepted but it could have been lost out of bound when Jones couldn't catch it, maybe if Jones would have come to the pass as players are taught to do but then we would be turning it onto Jones and you would not have been able to take your shot at Q. Now if you can tell all us poor dumb fans the player that had a perfect game on either side then we could just sit back and say why aren't the other players like him which I am sure you do in your little circle group of experts do after every game. AH every miscue could be considered as a derailment of a comeback like the fact that we traded baskets for a good part of the 2nd half could be considered a derailment including the trading of a 2 for a 3. We could also say that every O rebound that Nova gathered was a derailment especially when they lead to a made three after a missed three. X took the score from 12 to 6 a number of times so each time why didn't we make a three or a two instead of miss a shot whether a bunny at the rim or an elbow shot which nova made all night. We love you micromanaging of each game but we hope that someday you will be happy and understand that no team is perfect on the other team's home court. As for the step-back three, I'd rather see that then the 30 foot shot early in the clock shot. I think that ragging on the player that basically kept X in the game in the second half is rich, Did you hear Wright in the huddle say they are going to Naji and we have to look for that! Then Naji came out and scored a number of times down the floor. Now would I liked him to have taken the ball to the rim...yes I would have but had he made it we all would be saying he is so good on that step back...well maybe all of us but you. Finally, if you read through the post you will see how many times I agreed with you and believe me it was not easy but I call it as I see them.
I"ll say it again: One day I'm going to climb over your anger wall, and it will be nothing short of glorious.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:44 pm

SC in DC wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:09 pm
I think Anti nailed it on Carter. He DEFERS too much, plus watch how many times he's calling for the ball cause he has room to shoot a three or maybe drive and he is ignored.
SC,

I have to say that this is one of the most insightful observations ever to grace this board I proudly moderate. I will say I appreciate one who defers, rather than one chucking up a step back three 9 seconds into the shot clock, especially when a much better shooter is wide open.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:49 pm

thecoach wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:43 pm
"I still think Marshall's ridiculous step back three, which had a probability of about 15% or less of going in, when a much better 3 point shooter was wide open was the key. Looking at twitter, several objective analysts agree. One said (can't remember who),"X comes down by six and misses an off balanced three. Nova comes down and calmly hits one." The gist of the rest was that's the difference between winning and losing in close ball games. Spot on, IMO."

The unfortunate result of hitting a very similar shot against i think Uconn if my memory is correct to get it to OT is that he will take that shot on several more occasions. It was similar last year as he had a "hot" spurt which actually convinces him that he is a good perimeter shooter. It was obviously not a good shot, and the announcers are going to jump all over it, but the same shot when it went in the announcers loved. Probably won't be the last time it happens this year. He's going to go our with a bang.....or maybe a thud.
The unfortunate result of hitting a very similar shot against i think Uconn if my memory is correct to get it to OT is that he will take that shot on several more occasions
Agreed. Marshall hitting a long or step back three and making it, is like Andy Dalton throwing a pass into triple coverage and completing it. Most of the time, one will result in a run out, and the latter an INT. The announcers and half time commentators said the same thin about his shot selection. Why Steele doesn't rein him in is beyond me. Every coach in the BE will concede a trey from him 10 out of 10 times, because the odds of making it are very low, and because he is so good when driving to the hole.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”